Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a good alternative for a tie? Help required.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
My daywear usually consists of a jacket without a tie as I simply do not have the need to wear a tie daily and I find it too impractical considering the activities I am usually involved in. I also like the look because I can look both modern and vintage at the same time as the look is fashionable now and was acceptable then. I would wear an ascot but that would usually be too hot I find as it's even tighter than a tie. I sometimes wear button down collars but I usually prefer regular collars worn under the lapels (over the lapes just isn't for me).

However, while I will happily wear a blazer or sportcoat without a tie I will never ever wear a suit without one as I find that looks incomplete.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Actually, it's been popular for over three quarters of a century. [huh]

039_69315Errol-Flynn-Posters.jpg

That's my boy! (Even if part of his collar is sticking up...[huh] )

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hal said:
From postings on this and on similar fora it seems to me that Americans have historically been far less ready to remove the jacket than are the British. There may be, or have been, a UK/USA cultural difference here.

Indeed. Many don't realize how different the UK and US can be in terms of clothing culture (not to mention the rest). Here in the US, one of the easiest ways to "overdress" is to wear a tie. At least in my neck of the woods.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that, like many American choices, the different perspectives on fashion are rooted in our attempt to distance ourselves from the British a couple of centuries back. :rolleyes:

Hal

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
Here in the US, one of the easiest ways to "overdress" is to wear a tie. At least in my neck of the woods.
Though wearing a tie has become rarer in the UK, it wouldn't normally be considered "overdressing" to wear one at a social occasion or a concert. One might get the comment "you look smart"; but noone has ever said to me in those circumstances "why are you dressed up?"
...like many American choices, the different perspectives on fashion are rooted in our attempt to distance ourselves from the British a couple of centuries back.
I'm sure you're right here; but I expect that nowadays the likes and dislikes that lead to such choices cross the Atlantic in both directions.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
One good way to "underdress" a tie is to pull it loose up top and tuck one end in someplace - say your waistband, or the first few buttons above your waistband.

As for the American reluctance to do this or that, it ought to be remembered that style has always had to battle here - between being a way of life, which is too aristocratic for most of us, and being an obligation, which is too limiting. Many of us would be happier if there were no style, only fashion, which at least puts the issue in terms we understand.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
Pun not intended?lol
:eusa_doh:

Hal, I guess it depends on the social occasions you attend. I've been to a few that fit what you describe. But mostly I see the "why are you dressed up" reactions. On a certain level, I wish it were different. But that world is in the past. We can hope it's in the future. At any rate, consider the alternative; a hoodie and a ball cap. :eek:

Fletch, I think we've been living in an America that has leaned very heavily toward "no style, only fashion," and it has brought many of us here to this forum. In search of style, regardless of fashion. :D

Elaina

One Too Many
Ascots. It's been named, but that's the alternative in my house to a tie. (And the boy wears an ascot with a waistcoat to church. I will spare you the kelly green brocade vest and black silk ascot however.)

If you wear one, just make sure you exude confidence. You can't pull it off without some boyish charm and a healthy dose of self-esteem.

Mr Zablosky

New in Town
Here in Texas its pretty common to see bolos. A thin cord, often braided leather, with a doo-dad that pulls up like the knot of a tie pulls up. These doo-dads, if I may use the technical term, can be about anything. I prefer something small, silver. They can be like a ring with any sort of variation. I like a small silver oval with an onyx stone or a cutout of a star. I've seen some that are fist-sized pieces of turquoise with rococco metal. A little too much for me.

Scan around on ebay and see what's there.

Edward

Bartender
Not-Bogart13 said:
We can hope it's in the future. At any rate, consider the alternative; a hoodie and a ball cap. :eek:

I have a book of reproduction pages from Sears catalogues of the thirties.... imagine my surprise when I opened it to discover (albeit in the children's section) hooded sweatshirts in the mid thirties!!

Panache

A-List Customer
One thing I always do when wearing a dress shirt without a tie is to wear a slim braided silver chain around my neck. It is discrete and subtle (and certainly not to be confused with the "bling" that many younger folks sport nowadays).

To me it is a signal that I am intentionally wearing the shirt casually and have not misplaced my tie.

Cheers

Jamie

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No tie, a rougher dress shirt and suspenders, over trousers and heavier-soled dress shoes. Fedora or WIDE tweed cap optional. You still will look good without a tie. No jacket unless it's cold out: in that occasion, a rougher wool jacket.

I also wear tie without jacket frequently on hot days.

DC3

New in Town
I think that each of the alternatives to a tie has their place. I have worn turtle necks which I like with a jacket, ascots, bolos, button down, open collar, and the rest at one time or another. I have to admit I've never worn a bow tie. My Dad looked great in them but I always liked the long tie.
You must remember that most people today have become use to wearing just one set of clothes all day long. The pace of life is so fast that we don't allow ourselves the time to dress properly. Cramming our relaxing time into just one day of our precious weekend, it's just too easy to wear the same pair of shorts and t-shirt to the beach, playing tennis, eating out, and going to the theater. To add insult to injurt these shorts are too often just an old pair of jeans that have been cut off by a pair of kitchen sissors.
Prior to WWII there was an easier pace to life I think, with more style and less fashion. People would change their clothes two or three times a day as events would dictate. As someone here said, men, and women for that matter, developed their own look. Gary Grant did, and his entire persona for that matter, over his movie career. It was based on a very debonaire and clean cut look that was thoughtfully planned out. Bing Crosby had a similar but more casual style, and that worked for him on and off the golf course. More recently Robert Wagner was always a good dresser.
Let me say this though. If you are going to wear a tie, do it right. Pay attention to the type of knot you are using and the finished length. There are very few of us that are private eyes, or work for one. So loosening the tie and unbttoning the shirt is for cop shows and murder mystery's not business or out in public. To me it looks sloppy.

Dr Doran

DC3 said:
Prior to WWII there was an easier pace to life I think, with more style and less fashion. People would change their clothes two or three times a day as events would dictate.

True. My father (born in 1921) has changed his entire outfit several times per day the entire time I have known him (beginning in 1970).

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
I agree you don't need to wear a tie with a suit... just leave the top button undone and go casual.

Another suggestion (that will likely win me the ire of tie-wearers) is to leave the top button undone with a tie... and then loosen the tie about 1/2 to a full inch. Tilt your hat back to the desired degree of casual and Voila! You're off the clock. ;)

Note that this is not something that I'd recommend for a board meeting, first date, interview, wedding (especially if you're the groom!), court case, or meeting HER parents.

:)

Dr Doran

RP McMurphy said:
Another suggestion (that will likely win me the ire of tie-wearers) is to leave the top button undone with a tie... and then loosen the tie about 1/2 to a full inch. Tilt your hat back to the desired degree of casual and Voila! You're off the clock. ;)

I'm a tie wearer and I like this idea. Every once in a while. But it's like going unshaven or using the word "plethora": you shouldn't do it too often or it destroys the magic of doing it the few times that you do it.
(Going several-days-unshaven to a social event: I do this once per year only.
Using the word plethora: may only be done once per five years ESPECIALLY if you are an undergraduate and you use it in essays I am grading.)

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
I would suggest an ascot (or "day cravat"). Forget about any affectations that are sometimes associated with them, and have fun. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe