Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Great colour, shape, pinch, and ribbon size. Looks good on you Moehawk. Coincidentally, I'm about to buy one that looks quite a bit like yours from Daniele. I'd really like to know why Homburgs without a brim binding are called Lords' hats?
Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I’m a fan of lords hats too. I wish they were easier to find in the vintage market.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Kickin' back now with a shot of CatDaddy moonshine. Trying to figure out this weird sweatband in my recent vtg Mr. Disney. The band is clear plastic attached to a thin leather band. Very odd??? The felt is beautiful, sooooo light and thin and shapes easily without steam. 3" brim & 4 1/2" crown

batch_20181006_122643.jpg
batch_20181006_123251.jpg
batch_20181006_123257.jpg
batch_20181006_123307.jpg
batch_20181006_123417.jpg
batch_20181006_123521.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Kickin' back now with a shot of CatDaddy moonshine. Trying to figure out this weird sweatband in my recent vtg Mr. Disney. The band is clear plastic attached to a thin leather band. Very odd??? The felt is beautiful, sooooo light and thin and shapes easily without steam. 3" brim & 4 1/2" crown

View attachment 138788 View attachment 138791 View attachment 138792 View attachment 138793 View attachment 138794 View attachment 138795

Great hat! Enjoy the shine. Looks to me like the leather from the sweatband was removed, leaving just the clear moisture guard attached to the reed of the band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moehawk

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 138788 View attachment 138791 View attachment 138792 View attachment 138793 View attachment 138794 View attachment 138795
Looks to me like the sweatband is missing and what is left is a sweat barrier that used to be used in some manufacturer's sweats still attatched to the reed. Bummer, but with a new sweat will be perfectly wearable.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Hey Ken:
I feel terrible!! In the sale pics the seller showed, the pic looked like the sweatband was turned out to show that sweat barrier material and tags. In your pics it appears the leather sweatband has been cut out. I’d be beside myself at that! The description said “No faults”, etc. That’s not a fault but appears as a deception to me!
I’m sorry if my opinion was shortsighted in terms of your purchase.
That is a great hat but to not disclose “sweatband missing” is inexcusable!!
Sorry again. Bowen

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Never even considered it your fault Bowen, thought never crossed my mind. But I wonder if it was really cut out? The plastic appears to be sewn OVER the old leather band??? There are two rows of stitches and the plastic is the one on top. I'm not that concerned, the hat is beautiful and I got it at a steal so having Art or Mike sew in a new band is something I'm okay with. But, if you're so worried you can just send me that new black Nutria beauty and we'll call it even. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
^^^^ahhh....well ahhh....
Your a good man but nice try! Ha
I think i’d a stuck a boot up somewhere so the hat would fit in after!!
Ps: never heard of the inner protector being the sweatband???
B
LOL....I'm gonna drop the seller a note to see what can be negotiated. Might even see if I can send it back to him for a trade of one of his other beauties, I got the awesome NOS No1 Quality Stetson from him also for a steal, and that was just as perfect as it could be, so he is a decent seller. But the cost of shipping returns to Canada really sucks! It's still a great 1940's Disney in excellent shape. :);)

That does not look right to me. I’ve seen the plastic protectors, but never one without a real leather sweatband to go with it. For me the worst part about replacing sweatbands is losing all the markings and debossing on the originals. Still a very nice hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOL....I'm gonna drop the seller a note to see what can be negotiated. Might even see if I can send it back to him for a trade of one of his other beauties, I got the awesome NOS No1 Quality Stetson from him also for a steal, and that was just as perfect as it could be, so he is a decent seller. But the cost of shipping returns to Canada really sucks! It's still a great 1940's Disney in excellent shape. :);)

Your sanguine attitude does you credit. Maybe a partial refund to cover the cost of a new sweat?

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Moe, what a great hat, shape, colour, and style. Nice ribbon, too. I love that you're almost always on a rooftop modelling your hats: "Look at me Ma, top of the world." [emoji4]

Thanks Steve! It's a great hat, early 60's vintage in a short velour finish. Dyed the ribbon and did the bow work myself to replace a felt belt treatment that I didn't care for.
I'm actually on my outside stairs, using the neighbor's roof as a backdrop. One Lounger once remarked that I must be very tall... :)

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
That does not look right to me. I’ve seen the plastic protectors, but never one without a real leather sweatband to go with it. For me the worst part about replacing sweatbands is losing all the markings and debossing on the originals. Still a very nice hat.

Thanks Brent, Yup, it's a head scratcher and since this one has no leather band anyway, there are no markings / embossing to lose. :cool::cool:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Nice work on the ribbon and bow, Tall guy [emoji4]
Thanks Steve! It's a great hat, early 60's vintage in a short velour finish. Dyed the ribbon and did the bow work myself to replace a felt belt treatment that I didn't care for.
I'm actually on my outside stairs, using the neighbor's roof as a backdrop. One Lounger once remarked that I must be very tall... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken