Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Alan; Your daughter looks GREAT dressed like Rosie The Riveter! Very cool. I believe you need to get one of the Westinghouse posters, drawn by J.Howard Mills for her. The pics side by side would be a great conversation in an entrance way or hallway!

I am glad that she chose that look. She could have selected the Norman Rockwell "Rosie The Riveter" from the May 1943 issue. On that issue he had Rosie on lunch break. It just is not as powerfull a female image or as iconic. Pic below;

220px-RosieTheRiveter.jpg

I have used the Library of Congress vid, Sheridan Harvey's work, below, in working with our female athletes in understanding the history of real women working hard. They have found understanding, and have been able to apply inspiration for their athletic efforts using this and other WWII material.

[video=youtube;04VNBM1PqR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04VNBM1PqR8[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04VNBM1PqR8

Alan, thanks for sharing. very creative stuff going on at your household.

Eric -

Last edited:
Eric, thank you for sharing that additional depth to this story. I enjoyed seeing the video. Both my dad and my father and mother-in-law have participated in the veterans oral history project mentioned at the close of the film.

As many of you know, I have been a big fan of the camera in my iPhone 4... fantastic photo tool with relatively few caveats. The biggest limitation for me is having to have my camera tethered to an appendage 2.5 feet from my face. Today I downloaded an app which has, among other features, a self-timer tool. A bit of a learning curve to CameraSharp, but the liberation of putting the camera down and walking away for a self-portrait is great... well worth the ticket price of $1.99. Here is my first light image.

103112_3.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
All Hallows Eve Treat

1940s Stetson Stitched Brim fedora. Light cream felt with ink-blue ribbon. Super soft, light and exquisite felt, with stitching around brim to provide body. 3.4oz/size 7-1/2.

I missed the spiral stitch in the first picture... neat!

Thanks again for the kind notes... I hope everyone's evening was frightful and fun filled.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Alan. The felt is as supple, thin and light as a fine Montecristi. The wide, 2-7/8" brim would be hard to tame without the spiral stitching, so I believe it serves a functional and not purely decorative purpose.

Splendid portraits of you and Lily today!

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Last Sunday was the opening hunt for Juan Tomas Hounds. The first hunt of the season is always a big celebration; this year was a little more somber as we were spreading the ashes of two long standing members who had passed away. It's difficult to see but I'm wearing an old Akubra campdraft

As with every hunt, we start with the stirrup cup.

The riderless horses with the reversed boots in the stirrups represent the two lost members.

A rider spreading the ashes.

The master of hounds and his staff getting the hounds ready to hunt.

T
his gives a little idea of the country we hunt.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Alan, you have so wonderful Homburgs, I could be a bit jealous, If I had have not your Stetson Deluxe.
PS. the second photo look sharp!

Jason, nice Borsalino, he looks good on you!

Eric, two stunning Hats for one day, great choice.

Al, wow, a stitched brim fedora, that is rare to see and looks good on you but a bit crumpled if my eyes don't lie.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Al, wow, a stitched brim fedora, that is rare to see and looks good on you but a bit crumpled if my eyes don't lie.

Thanks, Manfred. Your eyes do not deceive you, the felt on this lid is the softest amongst all of my hats. So soft, in fact, that it behaves like a very high-weave-count Montecristi. The harsh lighting for the photos also exaggerates the natural, relaxed lines of the hat, but it will require some training with steam to give it the crisper appearance we are more accustomed to with felt. One of my very favorite hats, however, for its singular felt and insouciant jauntiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe