Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spent the weekend in Central Texas where I grew up. Only one hat for that trip; Royal Stetson Open Road with a cattleman's crease! Liked it so much, I'm wearing it out again today to run errands.
OR002.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
Spent the weekend in Central Texas where I grew up. Only one hat for that trip; Royal Stetson Open Road with a cattleman's crease! Liked it so much, I'm wearing it out again today to run errands.
OR002.jpg

Great look on you, as always, Mr. P. Your garden's looking good, too!

Sue

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
OR002.jpg
That's a great look for you!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
Now THAT is the way to wear a classy hat! :eusa_clap Very well done! :eusa_clap

Thanks Mr P and Sue. I'll never be able to wear this lid without thinking of my friends from Texas. And that's an added bonus to what is a quality lid. It's looking more at home on me these days.

Mario, you're right - and aint that the thing with great hats - come rain or shine, they deal with either. When it comes to rainy weather, it's like Sue says, I'm looking for a brim wide enough to keep the rain off my glasses.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
OR002.jpg

Great look Mr P - you can dress those Open Roads up or down and still look fabulous! Love the garden too.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Mr. Paladin, I'm in tune with you wearin' your cattleman bash hat.

Today, I wore one to work, apparently just like it (a Stetson Sovereign "Twenty", originally sold in Wichita Falls). No finer hat, no finer shape.

Paul

texashatman

Familiar Face
Ephraim Tutt said:
A rainy day in Brisbane required a wide brim - and there's none better than the Shudde Bros Open Road. Mr Paladin will be pleased to see me wearing this little piece of Texas.

The tie is by El Ricos Los Wigwam weavers woven in 1940's in Colorado.

SDC10356.jpg

I was interested in you mentioning a Shudde Bros hat. Where did you get yours? It's my understanding that they have been in Houston,Tx since the 1920's. They have recently moved thier shop to a small town west of Houston and I've bought a couple new ones from Gene Shudde.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
texashatman said:
I was interested in you mentioning a Shudde Bros hat. Where did you get yours? It's my understanding that they have been in Houston,Tx since the 1920's. They have recently moved thier shop to a small town west of Houston and I've bought a couple new ones from Gene Shudde.

I had a short email conversation with Neal Shudde the other day. There is plenty of info on the history of the company - just google it. They were formed in 1907 as Shudde's Southern Hat Co., then his brothers joined and they opened a new place in 1914. Neal said that they changed their hat logo sometime between 1920-40.

The company has always been in Houston until they recently moved to Brookshire. Brookshire, by the way, has a small place called Dozier's that has absolutely the greatest barbecue on the planet, so fit that in if you visit Shudde Bros.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
texashatman said:

Mine was an almost accidental acquisition, Texashatman. Our fellow and much appreciated Lounger Billysmom had fished the hat out of the Bay only to find that it was wrongly described re the size. It turned out to be a 7 1/4 and was much too big for Sue's petite noggin. So, in the way of things here in the Lounge, Sue kindly sold it to me.

Thus, a beautifully crafted 1961 vintage Shudde Bros Open Road in near mint condition found its way Down Under to perch proudly atop my Aussie melon.

I seem to recall Art Fawcett mentioning somewhere on here that he spoke to old man Shudde about a Gene Autry hat he once owned. Shuddes apparently made Mr Autrey's lids. The upshot was that Art held old Mr Shudde in high regard. Which, of course, is high praise indeed.

texashatman

Familiar Face
ScottF said:
I had a short email conversation with Neal Shudde the other day. There is plenty of info on the history of the company - just google it. They were formed in 1907 as Shudde's Southern Hat Co., then his brothers joined and they opened a new place in 1914. Neal said that they changed their hat logo sometime between 1920-40.

The company has always been in Houston until they recently moved to Brookshire. Brookshire, by the way, has a small place called Dozier's that has absolutely the greatest barbecue on the planet, so fit that in if you visit Shudde Bros.

Thanks, I'll research them some more.I live in a little town 8 miles away,Simonton, so it was nice to find a nice hat shop that close. My uncle had the hat concession at the weekly rodeo in Simonton when I was growing up so I watched him shape and sell thousands of hats. He quit doing it after Urban Cowboy came out because he refused to deal with pink hats!

Oh and Doziers is great but it's about 5 miles from Brookshire in Fulshear TX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe