Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I broke out the tea kettle the other day and played around with the creases in my AB Henry.

ab henry_20180124_071837_400x614.jpg
ab henry_20180124_074200_400x614.jpg

On the left is outdoor natural light, and the right is a flash under fluorescent lights.

I would love to find a duplicate of that hat Greg. Love it.

Thank you, sir. There are very few vintage ones that turn up. This one popped up several years ago on the Bay with a BIN at a reasonable price. I hit the button so fast I hurt a finger.

A custom maker could do the job for you. This fella here just executed one that's as close as I've seen. If you ever want the dimensions of mine, let me know.

I had a desire to make a hat, that I had seen on line, when I was looking for vintage inspiration, and it is, in photo 1.

This hat size 7-1/2 which, I built for inventory, is Winchester Staple Rabbit, in Silverbelly. I gave it a tight, raw, 5/8 curl.

Staple hare, has been a topic recently, on another thread, but as you can see, this hat "boned up" very well, and took a serious liking to being pounced. I note this for you all, because I saw bunny felt, take some hits recently on another thread.

This staple hare felt product takes some preperation; and a few hours of it, to ready it, to pounce. The question is how do you get this rabbit felt to "bone up"...? I had to make several, and ruin several bodies to find out.

The amount of time that I have in this build is upward to 35 hrs. I know in my old life, a week in most jobs, paid you for what they felt you were worth; be it minimum wage or slightly higher based on skill. So for me, here and now, I'm working for what equates to minimum wage in PA. This is my job, it is my source of income. I say all that, to lead to this:

Pricing - I noticed recently, a list of how guys are priced, I don't think I made that list of hatmakers. I know it's a confusing issue, because we all pay the same prices for our supplies, these sources don't discount.

I build a hat, by hand, open crown. I hand pounce, I hand stitch the brim binding, needle and thread. It is done in one continuous stitch and it equals about 100 inches of thread. Sweatbands are meticulously installed, by hand.

(One machine exception, is for closing the brim grosgrain loop)

I am very competitive and in line, on my pricing. But I am totally open to any inquiries anyone may have regarding my work. And a worthy note, is that over the last 2 and a half years, I dug in real deep to get my product to a very high standard of excellence, in workmanship. Now I've include branding of premium Sheepskin, and a liner project near completion.

I'm open for business, and hope to serve you in 2018.

Thanks for the look, the read and a like, if so inclined.

Best Regards,
Tim

15459120ce808c7ae64e64d0e19d53eb.jpg
78ec47d2ad82a11d3cdd30990808071c.jpg
44daac40af94bd64410a0029b4d244e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That is a beauty,Greg.

Thank you, Bob.

That’s gorgeous Greg!

Thanks, Esther. High praise from a maker of fine lids.

That is one special hat Greg, love seeing it.

Thanks, Mike.

Mighty fine Greg, mighty fine

Richard, thank you, sir.

Greetings All:
Bama, Hell Yeah!! Grabbing my nitro now!!
Be well. Bowen

Thanks a lot, Bowen. You posted something very similar in the Fray thread. That Boss is something. This one came with the Fray sweat but no other markings to indicate a model.

Thanks to all for the recent likes and comments. Lots of great hats to view these past few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe