Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really love that Milan, Frun. One of my favorite Milans, and sweeter still that it's from a thrift shop.

Is that a union suit today?

David that semi-C is one of the classiest of them all!!

Perry, the Strat really calms the excitement from that sweet aloha. Nice!!

TYVM. Now that I've gotten my hands on some of these classic Milans (I have a Stetson that needs a new pug, too), the newer Milan styles, such as my Strat and my Andover, are left sitting. I still like the Andover for maybe a dinner out, but the plastic-y feel of those newer ones isn't nearly as nice as these. I'm sure the Peters Bros and some of the others are nicer than the Stetson productions, though. But I've become a real big fan of this type of hat. It was Divine Providence I found this at the right time and right price.

Not a union suit, LOL. Just a Henley. I'm dressed for crawling around dirty aircraft this afternoon (which I just finished doing). I took the Milan off for my excursions, though, and donned this which, I know, isn't a hat, it's a cap, but for the record, I wore it today.

IMG_0827.JPG

You might recognize the logo on the front (hint: avatar).

And speaking of avatars, nice new one, Alan - an action shot!

Alan, when I see your boaters I fell I need to get one.

Problem is I am not sure it will look sharp on my head....

Anyway I will end up getting it.

I don't find them hard to wear but, like derbies/bowlers, getting a good fit is important to the enjoyment. Boaters are usually value priced in the vintage market. I look forward to seeing what you find and hearing how you enjoy it.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I don't find them hard to wear but, like derbies/bowlers, getting a good fit is important to the enjoyment. Boaters are usually value priced in the vintage market. I look forward to seeing what you find and hearing how you enjoy it.
Indeed just checked and value is high !!

But worth it

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Just one last question, Alan.

Normally I am a 7 1/2 or size 60, only my vintage Borsalino fur felt fits me in 61 and a Stetson Centerdent Panama feels snug in 7 1/2.

In your experience will boaters feel true to size?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

All the best.

Rodolfo

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey *****s! :)
Nice lids all around.
Chamuco, the CD looks great on you.
hatsRme, dig the Dobbs.
Alan, the boater is awesome.
I went with the Fuzzy Bunny today, my c.1950 Stetson velour.
195eacaf0a102574a8db21add8a7a634.jpg

Have a good evening!

Just one last question, Alan.

Normally I am a 7 1/2 or size 60, only my vintage Borsalino fur felt fits me in 61 and a Stetson Centerdent Panama feels snug in 7 1/2.

In your experience will boaters feel true to size?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

All the best.

Rodolfo

Straw boaters can be very ancient. Many were manufactured by small specialty makers that supplied hat stores and some of the major brands. There is the possibility that sizes can vary. Unlike a felt hat or pliable straw, adjusting the size to fit can be almost impossible. The best thing is to record the side to side and front to back measurements of a hat head opening that fits you well. Save for an in person visit to a hat store, this is the most reliable measurement to get from a seller. It will reflect the shape of the oval (long, wide, round), as well as the size (which, in U.S. sizing, will be the sum of these two measurements divided by two). Circumference is much more difficult to measure accurately and will not reflect the shape of the head opening.

Hope that helps. If you were 6 7/8, I could outfit you well. :)

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Straw boaters can be very ancient. Many were manufactured by small specialty makers that supplied hat stores and some of the major brands. There is the possibility that sizes can vary. Unlike a felt hat or pliable straw, adjusting the size to fit can be almost impossible. The best thing is to record the side to side and front to back measurements of a hat head opening that fits you well. Save for an in person visit to a hat store, this is the most reliable measurement to get from a seller. It will reflect the shape of the oval (long, wide, round), as well as the size (which, in U.S. sizing, will be the sum of these two measurements divided by two). Circumference is much more difficult to measure accurately and will not reflect the shape of the head opening.

Hope that helps. If you were 6 7/8, I could outfit you well. :)
Perfect....can't ask for more !!

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
TY Chamuco and Fruno. The ribbon (cheap polyester)was supposed to be a temporary when I put it on last year, but I have received so many compliments on the color that I left it on. It may not have long for this world, 'cause when I re-refurb it soon I might put the original brown ribbon (now residing on my Young's) back on it. Or, maybe I'll see if I can dye a piece of good ribbon a similar shade of blue...

TY Chamuco and Fruno. The ribbon (cheap polyester)was supposed to be a temporary when I put it on last year, but I have received so many compliments on the color that I left it on. It may not have long for this world, 'cause when I re-refurb it soon I might put the original brown ribbon (now residing on my Young's) back on it. Or, maybe I'll see if I can dye a piece of good ribbon a similar shade of blue...

Cheap polyester? Well, I'm not known for my taste!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe