Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I can't keep up! Fantastic selection, gentlemen. Sam, the crm is great. B.J., congrats on the new tumwater-- love that diamond bow! AnA, always inspiring to see the falcon park.

A quickie before I need to head out to work. My new akubra campdraft arrived about fifteen minutes ago. So far I'm enjoying this dry cattleman crease! I think tasha is curious too!

+1. A special call out to Andy. That silverbelly is the BEE's KNEE's COOL! Dynamite! Wear that hat lots, it is darn sharp.

Alright! With the early morning temp in the low 60's F I was comfortable doing outside in my vtg.Adams. One of the pleasurable tasks this morning was a dog walk. We walked past a bunch of teens waiting for the bus to take them to High School. One of the girls yelled, "looking sharp sir." Her friends agreed. Speaking loudly together, I overheard the girls agree with the orginal girl that "he looks shapr for an old guy." Unshaven, tired and joints a bit creaky from yesterday - oh yea that put a lightness in my step.

IMG_6193-M.jpg

Old guy wishing you folks the best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Nice Adam SBSOG (Short Balding Sharp Old Guy) :D
Do you save the vintage hats for when its cool enough to not sweat in them?

Yes sir.

The vintage hats have that special panache that I have grown to love. The details and history of the vtg. hat makes selecting and wearing the hat more special. Some of the hats are amusing as the style makes me adapt to the hat vs. wearing the hat. I am thinking of my homburgs when I type this. The vtg hats are not a romantic notion kind of way for me. More that I am part of a continuing history of the hat. I wear the hats. This morning my hat rode my bald pate when I split some wood, pulled some wood off the beach with a chain and come along, moved some loose shredded bark into planted beds in prep for upcoming snows and sat and sipped coffee and solved world problems in a chair by the lake. I worry that the vintage hats would show fast wear. A early fav of mine a vtg 40's silverbelly Stetson Stratoliner shows big wear from my use. I really enjoy wearing it, but I am loving it to death. In fact I have picked up a couple of duplicates so that heaven help me I wear it completely out, I still have one to wear. My VS hats accompany when I need class , style and a bit of durability.

Case, I am confident that my beliefs and habits are not "normal," but so far I believe am very happy and well adjusted. My wife would suggest I am excellent at self-dellusions.;):eusa_doh:

Short Balding Old Guy, Eric -

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Great hats thi morning a nd yesterday guys.
O.G. That wanderer is perfect. I am envious enough of SBG's, now I'm lookin' at yours too
Great cap Casehopper
DJH you can never fail with a silvrbelly stetson, that one is great
Great panama Mike. What kind of batteries does that band take? Awesome
T.Jones, I'm kinda with you about black hats, but the squatter looks to have enough felt to make a decent western hat. A lot of cowboy hats from the 50s and 60s had 3" or 3 1/2" brims. You could make a nice Adam Cartwright style with it.
AnA I can see why that falcon park is a fave. It compliments you.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Hmmmm...you may have given me an idea here. Doesn't look like I'm going to have much luck trading it off. There was a Black Borsolino on ebay that had the same dimensions as my Squatter. The guy had a hard time selling it. He advertised it as a Hasidic fedora. On his third relisting it finally sold for the low price of $64.00. Doesn't seem like there's a wide interest for Black fedoras. Westerns would be the exception for black hats though. So I thought maybe I'd take my Squatter to the Western Shop a few miles from me and have it restyled to more of a Western hat. Maybe a 4 1/4 teardrop crown. Reshape the brim with a little bit of a cowboy curl, trash the black grossgrain ribbon and replace it with a leather band with silver conches.

BTW, AnA, Tomb1013, Bowlerman, SBG, all you guys are looking great! Very nice lids Gents!

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes sir.

The vintage hats have that special panache that I have grown to love. The details and history of the vtg. hat makes selecting and wearing the hat more special. Some of the hats are amusing as the style makes me adapt to the hat vs. wearing the hat. I am thinking of my homburgs when I type this. The vtg hats are not a romantic notion kind of way for me. More that I am part of a continuing history of the hat. I wear the hats. This morning my hat rode my bald pate when I split some wood, pulled some wood off the beach with a chain and come along, moved some loose shredded bark into planted beds in prep for upcoming snows and sat and sipped coffee and solved world problems in a chair by the lake. I worry that the vintage hats would show fast wear. A early fav of mine a vtg 40's silverbelly Stetson Stratoliner shows big wear from my use. I really enjoy wearing it, but I am loving it to death. In fact I have picked up a couple of duplicates so that heaven help me I wear it completely out, I still have one to wear. My VS hats accompany when I need class , style and a bit of durability.

Case, I am confident that my beliefs and habits are not "normal," but so far I believe am very happy and well adjusted. My wife would suggest I am excellent at self-dellusions.;):eusa_doh:

Short Balding Old Guy, Eric -

You're not alone in this. I won't wear my Stetson 3x OR when I know I'll be sweating as it's in almost perfect condition (including the original sweatband). Akubra's fill the niche of hats that can take everyday wear for me. For you it appears that your VS's are your everyday hats.

As far as being "normal" who would want that. There is of course always going to be some resistance from those around us (especially wives, children etc...) who don't understand our irrational love of materials and workmanship. Every person has their irrationalities and hat/apparel wearing/collecting is harmless unless taken beyond ones means.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Hmmmm...you may have given me an idea here. Doesn't look like I'm going to have much luck trading it off. There was a Black Borsolino on ebay that had the same dimensions as my Squatter. The guy had a hard time selling it. He advertised it as a Hasidic fedora. On his third relisting it finally sold for the low price of $64.00. Doesn't seem like there's a wide interest for Black fedoras. Westerns would be the exception for black hats though. So I thought maybe I'd take my Squatter to the Western Shop a few miles from me and have it restyled to more of a Western hat. Maybe a 4 1/4 teardrop crown. Reshape the brim with a little bit of a cowboy curl, trash the black grossgrain ribbon and replace it with a leather band with silver conches.

BTW, AnA, Tomb1013, Bowlerman, SBG, all you guys are looking great! Very nice lids Gents!

TJones - my black Alessandria is a hat that is often worn by the ultra Orthodox here in the States and the Haredi in Israel. With my beard and the black Alessandria, some might think I'm making a religious statement.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
TJones - my black Alessandria is a hat that is often worn by the ultra Orthodox here in the States and the Haredi in Israel. With my beard and the black Alessandria, some might think I'm making a religious statement.
Lol....If you happen to know any of those guys send them my way. I have a nice Squatter I'll sell them! ;)

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Off to the gym ealier today to the gym for the afternoon and evening. I travel tonight,Friday, late evening and am coaching at a meet on Saturday. Flight back to Minnesota in the late hours on Saturday evening. Traveling with my VS in a moss colored felt and a pair of vtg Allen Edmonds black Jomax spade shoes.

IMG_6196-S.jpg
IMG_6198-S.jpg

Best, Eric -

Beauriful hats this after noon guys. Gotta be quick, Mom is under the weather so it's all on Dad this evening. Heading out to grab something to feed the kids. Grabbed a cap 'cuz it's supposed to rain

Monte

Practically Family
Good morning Gents! Really nice collection of hats so far!

monte, nice looking Jacksonian I like that. Is that on Stratton's website?

Thanks, T. J. I found it in a thrift store. I shaped it a couple of times. It was a bit tight so I faithfully kept it on the hat jack 'til it seemed to fit really well one day. It is undoubtedly a policeman's uniform hat. I'm not sure if you can buy them or not. If not online, maybe in a uniform store cops.

Monte

Practically Family
BTW, it is very hard felt. If you like soft vintage felt, this one's not for you. If you're used to western weight felt, you may find it okay.

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
dh66: Nice cap! Nice pattern and fabric, looks really nice.
Stuffsmith: Another excellent cap! Never seen anything like it but it looks good on you, man!

Today I wore my Premier Knox hat. It got a bit wet in the rain but it's doing fine :)

fd3jzFv.jpg

RUECvbk.jpg

HB3, Stuff,&Zombie - thanks for the kind words about the cap....and the shirt. Zombie I was partly inspired to grab it on after seeing your collection on the cap thread earlier.
Tom I really dig the San Antone, its like the resistol open road. I hope to add one to my hat rack one day. I see we're practically neighbors, too. Should I say Roll Tide?
Mr.Barca I also dig your knox. It has an especially nice profile, and compliments your style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82