Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
What a beautiful Montechristi! It really ought to be on display together with that gorgeous Guaneri!

I used to be a sound engineer, and back in 1996 I was doing a broadcast and some recordings for our National Broadcasting Company. The artist was our (at that time) very young violin virtuoso, Nikolaj Znaider, accompanied by a grand piano. During a long break we got engaged in a long conversation. As most great artist he was so bored with people 'licking' his talent and adoring him. He was actually a lot more interested in talking shoes(!) and asked a lot about my favourite music: Appalachian old-time string band music, bluegrass and rooty guitar rags.

As my then wife was a pro. violinist, I asked if I could please hold his Guaneri for a second - just to boast when I got home. "Do you play?", he asked. "No, I used to own one, and I have been fiddling a bit around, but I play guitar and 5-string banjo. Definitely not fiddle."

Then he put the Guaneri in my hands and ordered me to play something. That's probably the only time Ida Red, Sally Goodin and Ragtime Annie ever sounded from a piece of pine, formed and cuttled by Giuseppe himself! :)

The Mrs.? Well, that night she learned how to spell 'stunned'! :D

What a terrific Guarneri story! I am certain you did Woody, your wife, and Giuseppe proud! Noted jazz musician [/URL]Regina Carter recorded an entire jazz album with perhaps the most famous 'del Gesu' of all, Paganini's 'Il Canone'. :D

Thank you for sharing your wonderful Guarneri anecdote, as well as your very kind comments, and a warm welcome to the lounge! :yo:

You guys all look great this evening! Nice collection of hats gentlemen.

Thank you, and likewise, a great pairing with your cap and shirt!

I wonder how many more of us there are on the Lounge? Greg was in the follow car with Bernard Hinault and Miguel Indurain on the Champs Elysee today. He trained in my neck of the woods one winter back in '91/'92, riding out of the bike shop that sponsored my club team, and of course grew up racing here in Northern California. I ended my last race in '07 lying on the pavement 250 meters from the finish line with a fractured pelvis, so I was finally cured of bike racing. After recovering, I then spent the next five years doing endurance rides and centuries. I haven't ridden in the last five months as minor knee and hip injuries flared up, and I just needed a break. It's given me more time to devote to hats!

I would venture to guess that there are at least a dozen or two former or current road racers on the forum based upon feedback I received from my old bicycle racing posts in FEDORAS AFIELD.

It is tragic that your competitive cycling career ended so dramatically. I competed in the USCF junior ranks in the late '70s and early '80s. My daily training companion and team captain was a US National Junior Road Champ, who went on to set the mile record as well as a professional career in Europe. My other teammate who I rode with regularly went on to become the US National Sprint Champ. As for me, my racing career ended when I went on to college. [huh]

I must say that even back then, without enforcement of proper head protection, we at least were stylishly hatted in the completely useless but dapper Danish leather hairnet racing helmet! lol

Hello All. It's been a while. Here's me today wearing my Bee straw for a print ad promoting my voiceover talents. You can't tell by the picture but I'm also wearing a double pocket shirt by Calvin Klein.

Great looking ad!

Al - great photos again - thanks for keeping them going.

Thank you, Richard, and compliments to you on your always impeccable dress!

Al, thank you very much my friend, you have right, This is the only hat on my travel! Sharp photos as ever. Your Montecristi is a damn sharp hat and looks fantastic!

Fantastisch!! Love your report from Italia. No doubt you are turning a LOT of heads on the Italian Riviera! Thanks as always for your kind comments, they are deeply appreciated.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Brent Black for me this morning

smugshot_9136656-L.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
July Travels

Getting an early start Sunday morning and already drenched in sweat. Lin Family Mansion & Gardens, Banqiao District, the most completely preserved example of mid-Qing Dynasty garden design and architecture in Taiwan.

Trying to stay cool with my bamboo and silk fan acquired just a few days previously, while waiting for our tour to begin. Exquisitely made by a master bamboo fan maker in Nantou County, it took us three trips to Taiwan to find fans like this one, which are the epitome of the art.

The gardens are sublimely beautiful, with mind-boggling attention paid to the minutest of details, and consideration of Feng Shui principles. This massive cistern and its lotus were placed in one of myriad courtyards for more than decorative reasons, serving also to bring auspicious energy, good health and prosperity to the family, as well as a source of water in the event of fire.

Despite the oppressive heat and stifling humidity, we were saddened to leave in the afternoon.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice Hats Gentlemen!

ManofKent, Thanks my friend. One nice thing with the Stetson Gilchrist, it comes with the bend in the bill...and after seeing you in a cap, I think you knocked it out of the park. Caps are definitely your look.

Thanks Chepstowe. The pictures are awesome my friend...I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at that Mayser...I definitely like it! That's one nice lid!

DJH, Ah yes. The Brent Black. Nothing gets better than a Brent Black Montecristi. I let a real nice BB Montecristi, IOB, get away from me. I'm still kicking myself over that one!

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Perry, Neophyte, Phineas Lamour, ManOfKent & Manfred. I'm surprised at how well liked the porkpie is here.

Eric: Very happy to see you posting again.

For today Glen gray Akubra Campdraft with a gluttonous ribbon.
IMG_6583.JPG

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
[...] a warm welcome to the lounge!

[...] dapper Danish leather hairnet racing helmet!
Thanks for the welcome, Al. Actually, I've had a profile for three years - been reading a lot - but find, it's time to participate in this great community :)

I know Carter's fantastic album. I love it - so well played, live and not post-processed to death. That's unfortunately rare these days.

Don't set your expectations too high, concerning Danish head-ware development! As far as I know, this is the only Danish hat-invention:
Klaphat.jpeg

'The Clap Hat', a supporter-hat for the national soccer team, that appeared during the 80's, when our national team started to play the big championships.

It works with a piece of elastic between the hands and a string in each side to pull them apart. Not in use today, when the word 'clap-hat' is used as a suppressant characterization ('idiot').

Besides that, the list of memorable Danish inventions include the cork-belt, the Anatabus tablet (anti-alcohol-abuse treatment), and a few other indispensable gadgets. Culture related? Naarrhhhh! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe