Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Morning Guys
All looking sharp so far !

Orangegrad the Black Borso , killer lid there !

I had to escape the heat 103 back to the coast cooling off
Hatted of course.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Adding on to the question regarding black fedoras here in the States - I get more people taking longer looks at me when I wear this fedora. Sometimes a fellow might say "Nice hat" or something along those lines when I wear my Akubras or a different Borso. Or someone might say I look dapper if I'm dressed up and wearing one of my Comos. I won't say that people stare at me when I wear my black Alessandria, but I do get a number of quizzical looks from people. I wear fedoras because I like them, not for other people, so it really doesn't matter to me. But it is an observation.

6b75.jpg

Muggy with possible T-storms today, so a Royal Stetson fur-felt for me.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Sam.

Thanks Andy - we have a much smaller Hasidic population than the US which may make a difference. I don't know what the percentage of black to other colour hats is over here, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least 70%.

Looking good Perry - muggy and showery here.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Black hats are seen commonly and associated with the Amish population in this area of the country.

Yes, same here in Ohio. Both the Amish and Ultra Orthodox Jewish men wear black fedoras, as do some Catholic priests, I believe. Borsalino sells a lineup of fedoras specifically designed for those who wear black fedoras for religious reasons. Though the Alessandria is not necessarily one of them, it is not an uncommon hat among the Ultra Orthodox here in the Cleveland area.

I think that the association of black fedoras with the religious is one reason we don't see more black hats (at least wide brim black fedoras) here in the states. Or maybe American guys just don't like black fedoras.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the thoughts on black hats - it's interesting the difference that a few (well quite a few :) ) miles of water make.

-----------------------

A business trip to the coast. Stetson 'Swift':

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Black Hats

Andy - nice looking hat. I don't see many black hats on here - are they less popular in the States than on my side of the pond where black is the norm?

Sam - looks good. How much brim did you remove? I like the look of the squatter, but the brim width has always scared me.

Some of us still wear black hats, although I'm not too fond of the color myself...I think the black has a tendency to hide the details of the hat and shows dirt a lot more. Plus, black hats are kind of limited to more dressy wear...I have to admit, I guess, I like my Squatter but I would like it a lot better if it were a different color other than black...I'm thinking of sending it off to have a wider and different color ribbon, (grey), put on it and possibly having the brim cut down to a dimensional Indy style snap brim, hopefully to bring out some detail...at a distance my black Squatter looks like a Billy Jack hat....nah, I don't think I'll get another black hat...

Here I am wearing my black Squatter...

akubralosangeles.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Everything you say about black hats is right on target. I doubt very much I'll purchase another black hat. The Alessandria was such a great deal - had it not been, I still would not own a black hat. Thing is, the Alessandria is one fine fedora, no matter the color.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Very new to me (just arrived in the mail), an ink blue Dobbs FIFTEEN homburg. The plum ribbon and blue binding treat this hat nicely. More pics to come soon in the Dobbs Diner...

2D0F16AB.jpg

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Great Homburg AnA.
I wonder if the plum ribbon was the original color or if age has changed it from navy.

My thought is that the ribbons age in a red direction. I can't believe the light grey hats I've got with tannish-pinkish hues to the grey ribbon were that color from the start. It is not all of them though. I'm sure not all hat ribbons from 60's and before were the same materials.

The copper edge and/or ribbon on brown hats also strike me this way.

Some of the hats I'm referring to may have seen lots of sunny or rainy days but not all of them. Your hat strikes me as being one that likely hasn't seen much sun or rain.

The plum on that hat looks great but the pinkish hue on a couple of grays I have is not so pleasing to the eye.

Last edited:
Richard, I'm really enjoying your excellent photographs from the other side of the pond.

Perry, did you get a new camera? The Stetson today looks great.

Very handsome homburg, A&A!

cheers,
Alan

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if the plum ribbon was the original color or if age has changed it from navy.

I'm thinking original. The edge binding is a navy blue, so it's a noticeable contrast from the crown ribbon. This hat is incredible. FIFTEEN felt quality, and I wear a lot of blue, so it goes with just about everything I have! :cool:

Very handsome homburg, A&A!

Thanks, Alan! I'm starting to use your tilted profile shots as inspiration. :) I've received two blue hats within a week, so I am very pleased!! :thumb:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Your hat strikes me as being one that likely hasn't seen much sun or rain.

I would have guessed this was rarely worn, but I have reason to believe that it was actually caught in the rain. I was steaming it in my bathroom under bright direct lighting, and I noticed faint water spots on the top side of the hat. It was some interesting detective work, if I do say so myself. Just needs a brushing. There are also a few moth nibbles, but the felt is soooooo dark, you can't even notice them. As a matter a fact, there is a hole straight through the felt at the back of the hat where the brim meets the crown. You can't see it, because the ribbon just about covers it up, but it's there.

g.durand

One Too Many
I'm into my tenth straight day at work and a little bit sleep deprived due to a major project we have in progress, so I'll just say you all have impressed me with what you were wearing today. I'm going to sleep in Thursday and then head to the coast a la Che to cool off. It's been in the high 90s to low 100s since the weekend. This arrived today and took a little bit of the edge off. Too warm to wear it all day, so I checked out the crop in the back yard after work and after it had cooled off a bit. The apples are enjoying the heat.

Akubra Campdraft in Moonstone gray.
IMG_2797_zps4b77356f.jpg

g.durand

One Too Many
I'm surprised that there were any blossoms this spring, much less fruit, considering the previous winter, fire blight and other problems with the tree. But it is resilient. Some Damsons would be awfully good here as we reach high summer.

Your Swift looks good. Can't go wrong with a gray hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld