Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Been on a long trip, and without cell phone or internet access for much of it. Finally catching up to some splendid photos! Well done, gentlemen! Looks like everyone is enjoying a wonderful Summer with nature, family, and our hats, of course!

Alan: Lovely photos, as always. Linen is THE fabric to be in for Summer, and that Zegna jacket looks outstanding. I have a particular fondness for the house of Zegna, and Brioni as well.

Lefty: Striking images, precariously and sensitively posed!

Steve: Beautiful picture and great looking Panama!

Jeff: We have got to get you out more. ;) There is much more to the Midwest than Prairie and grasslands as far as the eyes can see!

Blackthorn: Great photos of your beautiful VS in the High Sierras. I have many fond memories of fishing and hiking adventures there from my childhood.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Blues Guitar Gig Fedora

I am out this evening wearing my Royal Stetson, Open Road in an attractive slate gray color. I use slate gray loosely as a descriptive color, as some of our furniture (a table and a couple of coffee tables) and kitchen floor are slate. Slate comes in lots of colors!

Photo-on-2011-07-16-at-1836-2-S.jpg

This evening my bud and I are playing acoustic blues at a St.Paul coffee house. We are passionate players of the 20-40's blues and show tunes. Since this winter I have taken to wearing a fedora during my occasional performances. The fedora has allowed me to hid my eyes at those times and generally avoid any stage lights or even the occasional flash (mostly relatives/friends). I chose the Open Road, both as it is newer and needs some "head time."

Photo-on-2011-07-16-at-1837-S.jpg

MacLeod Brothers, The Great Clothiers of the Great West, Calgary is in gold embossed on the leather band. The leather band appears not to have been worn very much. The leather is supple and feels easy and comfortable on my bald head. You know how some chromed leathers just have the smooth pliable feel. This is one of those. I do have some pads slipped inside the leather band to "size" the vintage hat. I bet with some wear the band will find my size and I can remove the band. This has happened to a different Open Road, of similar age. The liner has patina, I call it older, and most call it antiqued. No staining, or dirt, just showing some age. I chuckle, as that might be a good description of me this evening.

Photo-on-2011-07-16-at-1847-S.jpg

The felt hat is just terrific! It will take a bash easily and yet stay. For those who have experience with the Italian Alex. Borso's it is thicker felt, similar in malleability, but has that special eye appeal of a smooth texture. When shaping the felt by hand the felt avoids sharp corners as it is thick, but in no way is it stiff. The color is rich - just rich. You spin in different lights and I can see hues of reds and different blues in the slate gray felt.

The Stetson Open Road has a bigger brim, but it is growing on me. The brim, IMO, can work for my small face and features and small frame. It is one of several Open Roads that I am enjoying. I have included the pic below to show a different angle that demo's the bigger brim in relation to my face.

Photo-on-2011-07-16-at-1836-S.jpg

I have to go and start our set. Enjoy this evening – we are going to start with Big Bill Broonzy’s Pig Meat Strut (early raggy rendition of Hey, Hey).

Hatted in my Open Road, Short Balding Guy Eric -

Last edited:
Baltimore Artscape 2011

Yesterday at Artscape Baltimore.

Wearing my M. E. G. & Cie. Milan Boater on Charles Street.

5944959690_f7c372308a_b.jpg

Oscar Mayer Wiener

5944981112_d3b9092690_b.jpg

A couple of friends of mine. One is wearing my hat.

5944981504_b833db7beb_b.jpg

5944983928_b65b870850_b.jpg

A performace at Corpus Christi Church.

5944428165_8976d4ea60_b.jpg

5944982810_509bc07ab8_b.jpg

5944451957_ab8460b51c_b.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Quick add to my Open Road post......

Got done shortly ago and went back to a table in the back and fielded some nice comments. It always makes you feel warm when folks enjoyed the music. I also got a "nice hat," "good Indy hat," and "the cowboy hat goes well with the music." ??? Oh well. I thanked the folks for their observations and for listening. But silently I wondered what they might have said instead, if they took a bit of time to reflect on the 1920-40 music and more fedora looking hat I was wearing. Glad they came and listened.

Best to all of the other "cowboy hat" wearing forum folks, Eric -

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
My youngest daughter takes great pictures here are a couple from the beach house.
dad.jpg

My blue Hatco Dobbs Milan.
MeandJeannieatthebeach2.jpg

My and the wife with my Open Road liner out for the summer

Jeff

MikePotts

Practically Family
Oh I like that !, the missus always says that I look like a vagabond in felts anyway (of course that may have something to do with my cheesy felts) I need to put one of those on my EBay watch list....and hope.

MP

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thems are some good hats.
Love that Mallory man! Actually all the hats in the thread look great, and made me wonder how many hats on average each hat owner actually owns? Nice selection. Especially like the variety of the akubras as I was unaware that there was such a variety other than the standard snowy rivet which we always see.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Al; Thanks. I owe some of the influence of my enjoyment of this styled hat to the role model your posts/pics set.

Jauntyone; Casual/dressy, no worries as the VS is a SWEET hat!

RBH; The Vagabond appears to me to be a "cooler" hat. Pun intended. Good hat! Today in Minnesota, USA we have profoundly not normal weather - nearly 100 and high humidity. Jeepers! I put on my beater Open Road (no liner, 1st hat purchased on Ebay, self cleaned several times, re-bashed more than Clint Eastwood stared movies) to cut the lawn before 8 AM. While the hat was hot, it protected the bare top of my head.

Eric -

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
A VS Whippet clone. What is better than a Whippet? A Greyhound?
VS very fine felt and the great style of the Whippet. That is a terrific hat!

Indeed - Whippet style and VS quality is a good combination.

Beautiful summer's day here in New Hampshire. I was wearing my Zephyr Weight Stetson earlier, before it got too warm

photo-107-L.jpg

Great photos, all you gents. I'm catching up too, after a week's "sabbatical". Very dapper looking in that suit, Alan, and your family is lovely as always.
Love that blue ribbon Milan, Lefty.
Beautiful shots, Blackthorn.
Make sure the lady returns your hat, Steve, that's a nice one!
Looking good, Jeff, that OR is you!

4spurs

One of the Regulars
NewOrleanseBay031.jpg

Norman Batiste; musician, in front of the St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans, July 2011. Norman took a wool crusher and modified it by cutting a custom pattern into the crown which also provided ventilation. He did the same to his sandals, and if I can find the thread about wearing socks with sandals I'll post the photo there, yep, he's wearing socks with his sandals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe