Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
A Memorable Memorial Day Weekend In Chicago, Part 1

The weekend began somewhat inauspiciously as I discovered a split seam on the pair of dress pants I had intended to wear for a concert Saturday evening. Luckily, after a few phone calls Lydia found Maria and her Golden Needle European Tailoring. Maria is a fantastic tailor who typically works her magic on couture dresses, but undertook a perfect emergency repair on my slacks, for which I am grateful.

Terracotta frieze adorning the exterior of Maria's shop on the Near North Side of Chicago.

From the Near North Side to the South Side. A hat lover's Mecca: Optimo Hats.

Peering in the window, I could already feel my pulse quicken.

My Optimo Milan has returned home for a visit, welcomed by its brethren. Graham has started making straw hats for women this season.

Pair of flangers.

A beautiful collection of antique flanges above the bench.

Hat blocks, mostly early 20th century American and French examples.

With the unofficial start of Summer just a few days away, we were anxious to take a look at Graham's gorgeous Milans and Montecristis. I especially wanted to evaluate the Optimo style Montecristi, and really liked this wonderful example, with a 3" brim.

The narrower ribbon complements and showcases the finely woven straw.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

A higher grade Optimo with narrower, 2-3/4" brim.

Noticeably lighter than the previous Optimo, I really liked the fit and beautifully colored straw.

An exquisite, very high grade teardrop with navy blue, 1-3/4"ribbon. I felt that the 2-1/2" brim was too narrow for use as a sun hat.

And then there she was, the last hat I looked at of the afternoon. Magnificent in weave, color, and proportions, with a 3-1/8" brim. Woven of the most desirable, long-fiber paja toquilla. Deep front scoop, with lines which Graham says are reminiscent of a '40s Panama. My heart was won!

Montecristis are unique works of art, and our enjoyable afternoon at Optimo Hats reinforced my belief that beyond the statistics of weave count, hat color, texture, fit and appearance are best evaluated in person. The higher grade hats in particular are tissue light, and I believe our individual head shapes play a greater role in determining the overall look of the hat compared with fur felt hats.

My thanks to Tiffani and Kevin for patiently working with us in Graham's absence, and helping me find the Montecristi of my dreams!

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
What an incredible selection of hats. Congratulations on adding such a wonderful hat to your collection, and thanks for posting the great photos.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Al... great photos,
But I will say in alot of the photos it almost looks as if a next size hat would fit better,
I am going on how the brim looks in the photos.
It might be something to check out.

A keen observation, Rusty! This is precisely what I was referring to regarding fit. The high grade hats are very, very light and are affected greatly by any irregularities or asymmetry of our heads, far more so compared with a fine fur felt hat. The hats are all sized correctly, believe it or not, or even slightly larger than my typical 7-1/2 size, but my slightly irregular head shape causes some of the brims to break awkwardly. This can be adjusted, of course, but I prefer the hat to drape perfectly right out of the block.

Thanks for your kind words.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
What an incredible selection of hats. Congratulations on adding such a wonderful hat to your collection, and thanks for posting the great photos.

+1 Great photos, Al. And BTW thanks so much for the info you sent me via PM. It's going to be invaluably helpful.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
As a 7 1\2 myself.... I know of what you speak!

this shot seems perfect!

Thanks again, Rusty! I believe everyone was in agreement on the hat that day as well!

+1 Great photos, Al. And BTW thanks so much for the info you sent me via PM. It's going to be invaluably helpful.

Thank you! I am glad the info was of help to you, and really hope that you will find the perfect Montecristi to wear in place of your heirloom hat!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, my hatted friend! It won't be as simple as leaving your wallet at the hotel, I'm afraid, as the hats will find you in the end, regardless! ;)

One Too Many
For sure on that one, Neophyte.
pw031-2.jpg

Stetson Shantung straw today for the 90 degree weather.
By the way, love that Royal Hat Works, Al, is that new?

Perry
Acá también el calor es fuerte, camisa y sombrero ¡Matadores!:eusa_clap

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Delectans; Oh, la, la it is gorgeous. Your choice of a heirloom panama was well captured in the photos and text. You documented the retail experience and the support of your family in the event well. Thanks for sharing the experience.

The pics show your new hat, but they also show a proud owner. Congrats. Warm weather is only days away in MPLS/St.Paul, USA and you should be styling in your new heirloom.

Best wishes, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
A couple of odd shots from a nice weekend road trip to Ithaca.

I brought a Churchill Milan

ithaca11.jpg

A new grad in the family - congrats! A celebration was certainly called for. Next celebration is the announcement of the first job. Your hatted pics again showcase your confident ability to wear a big variety of hats.

Best wishes to you and your new grad, Eric -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82