Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

EstherWeis

Vendor
Ha, I'm not the one waiting for them but you know...

My father turns 60 next week and I'm going to surprise him with a new straw hat.
He wears the heck out of them since the hair has left the building so to speak.

I found this stunning vintage buntal, and I'm waiting for a copper/orange silk taffeta ribbon to arrive to finish it off.

Now, here is my question since I'm sort of in the dark here.
He does sweat quite a bit in summer and his straws do suffer. Should I put in a super thin pure silk liner and a leather sweat or just the sweat?

7c16751b2d662d44c564d40ae608e85a.jpg

EstherWeis

Vendor
Thank you Anthony!

Emmanuel looked at me funny when I told him about it.
He was like, don't put more fabric where there's no need for it woman :D

I have this superthin 2 inch calf leather sweat that I could maybe use.
The fact that it's so wide might help...

Also, I can't make up my bloody mind on this guy...
f9ee4adf5049d3f72aebbb2a43cec098.jpg

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
"Now, here is my question since I'm sort of in the dark here.
He does sweat quite a bit in summer and his straws do suffer. Should I put in a super thin pure silk liner and a leather sweat or just the sweat?"

Another option is to glue a partial liner to the top of the inside of the crown to break any contact with the very top of his head. Keeps the straw from rubbing and also prevents sweat through.

Here is my old Dobbs summer hat to show you what I mean:
IMG_6296.JPG

Fed

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I wish this was the hat I got. Stetson does do a descent panama.

I got the shantung version because I was curious about the fold up thing and I liked the shape of the hat, not so low crowned, descent amount of brim. It has some weird plastic faux leather sweatband that doesn't seem to absorb sweat yet allows it to go through to the hat and ribbon. The big problem was that the brim began to droop and lose shape quite badly and no amount of steam or ironing would bring it back. The humidity seemed to rob it of it's shape after a few days (no it didn't get rained on). Maybe at some point I'll try some spray stiffener on it but a new hat shouldn't self destruct this quickly.

Hopefully they've made improvements and Jlee will have better luck

Well, I got mine today and it doesn't fit!

It feels like someone might have mistagged a 6 7/8 as a 7, because every modern Stetson I've had sat slightly loosely on my head.

DelMonico is going to swap it out for me (great service there, of course), but the verdict is still out.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

It feels like someone might have mistagged a 6 7/8 as a 7, because every modern Stetson I've had sat slightly loosely on my head.

DelMonico is going to swap it out for me (great service there, of course), but the verdict is still out.
What did u think of it?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
What did u think of it?

Well....I'd like it less if I hadn't gotten 15% off, haha.

It did not have a shiny, plastic-y finish. As far as shangtung goes, it was a decent approximation of natural straw. It does roll! It does seem like it might start to look a bit misshapen easily. But I'd still like to give a properly sized one a chance.

tommyK

One Too Many

I sincerely hope You have better luck than I did. You'd almost have to

DelMonico's is the best

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Sending the wrong size seems to be a trend lately. My RM Williams Akubra was at least 2 sizes too big. That is a lot of shipping to eat.

I hope that you came out better than I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe