Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The Stagecoach is in Portugal... should be at my door tomorrow.
20170824newstage.jpg

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
Stuck indoors due to dangerous air quality advisories. Not too worried about me but with a pregnant wife and 20 month old I figured we will all stay indoors for my birthday instead of travel just to be safe. So my hat buying splurge begins due to cabin fever and a rather good month at the office. ;) I have had my eye on one of these "vintage" Brooks Brothers Boaters for awhile now. I believe this one to be in fantastic near unused condition and I think was made by Ponte Rialto for BB. Got a great buy with it being towards the end of the season.
IMG_1022.jpg
IMG_1021.jpg
IMG_1020.jpg

Stuck indoors due to dangerous air quality advisories. Not too worried about me but with a pregnant wife and 20 month old I figured we will all stay indoors for my birthday instead of travel just to be safe. So my hat buying splurge begins due to cabin fever and a rather good month at the office. ;) I have had my eye on one of these "vintage" Brooks Brothers Boaters for awhile now. I believe this one to be in fantastic near unused condition and I think was made by Ponte Rialto for BB. Got a great buy with it being towards the end of the season. View attachment 84970 View attachment 84971 View attachment 84972
Pristine Jer, my bet would be on a Ponte. Never can have enough boaters around.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Stuck indoors due to dangerous air quality advisories. Not too worried about me but with a pregnant wife and 20 month old I figured we will all stay indoors for my birthday instead of travel just to be safe. So my hat buying splurge begins due to cabin fever and a rather good month at the office. ;) I have had my eye on one of these "vintage" Brooks Brothers Boaters for awhile now. I believe this one to be in fantastic near unused condition and I think was made by Ponte Rialto for BB. Got a great buy with it being towards the end of the season. View attachment 84970 View attachment 84971 View attachment 84972
Nice looking boater, Jeremy!

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
Just placed an order for a M1911-based Campaign Hat from Mike at Northwest Hatters.

It will be based on the dimensions of the Spec. 1145 (Jan 2, 1912), but will incorporate the improvements of the Spec. 1177 (April 10, 1913), so in short:
- 100% Beaver in a Pecan dress felt
- 5 1/2" crown
- 3" brim
- ventilation eyelets 2 3/4" above the brim
- edge of the brim reinforced with 5 rows of stitching
- tonal ribbon
- eyelets on crown beneath the ribbon to allow passing a flat braided cord, and matching open stitching below the sweatband

I'll be wearing it to my son's scout events, and I plan to look at least half as sharp as these gentlemen:

03140v.jpg

Just placed an order for a M1911-based Campaign Hat from Mike at Northwest Hatters.

It will be based on the dimensions of the Spec. 1145 (Jan 2, 1912), but will incorporate the improvements of the Spec. 1177 (April 10, 1913), so in short:
- 5 1/2" crown
- 3" brim
- tonal ribbon
- eyelets on crown beneath the ribbon to allow passing a flat braided cord, and matching open stitching below the sweatband

I'll be wearing it to my son's scout events, and I plan to look at least half as sharp as these gentlemen:

03140v.jpg
I like the 5th, 4th & 3rd from the left best, in that order.

What's with the cutout in the window to the right?

- 5 1/2" crown
- 3" brim
- tonal ribbon

03140v.jpg
Mike does exceptional work. I was able to handle the prototype for this hat in his shop a couple of weeks ago, nice. You will not be disappointed. Mike is super busy right now, and his queue is growing, patience Grasshopper...

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
I like the 5th, 4th & 3rd from the left best, in that order.
I prefer 5th, 4th, 2nd myself. 3rd is a bit too perfect - looks a little stiff and prebashed to me - almost like a modern hat. I couldn't pull off #2 myself, but if my dad were a rancher and my mom was the Wicked Witch of the east...it's a pretty cool bash. I can't decide whether to ask Mike to crease the hat for me or to ask to get it open crown -- feels like there would be many fun creases to try, based on this photo. I'll avoid the #7 "Hobo Telescope," though.

Mike does exceptional work. I was able to handle the prototype for this hat in his shop a couple of weeks ago, nice. You will not be disappointed. Mike is super busy right now, and his queue is growing, patience Grasshopper...
Yes, Mike quoted me 3-4 months, which is fine; I'm in no hurry. It should turn out great and I look forward to years of wear.

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't feel comfortable in #2.
No, me neither! But maybe I can work "up" to it. I do love the photo because it shows such varied creases and, it being 1913, you'd have to assume that most of these boys got the hats ex-Army and that they'd have had these creases when they got them. I doubt they were going to the store, buying a brand new hat for scouts, and creasing them themselves.

- 5 1/2" crown
- 3" brim
- tonal ribbon

03140v.jpg
It is an interesting sign of the times (WWI era) with the various puttees and the military General Order No. 81 tunics (1902 issue)

I like the hats on each end, but for different reasons. On the one on the far right, I like the lower crown with it's more "casual" crease and the "outback" shape of the brim. On the one on the far left, I like it simply because that young man clearly doesn't care that it's all kinds of wrong. "There. I have a hat. Happy now?":cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe