Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Lou

One of the Regulars
I'm way into wet shaving. It was probably wet shaving that sparked my appreciation for vintage-inspired men's fashion.

I shave with a vintage double-edge razor, brush, and shaving soap or cream (not canned). I shave at night, because I can take more time. Also, my water doesn't always get hot enough in the morning. I'll switch to a straight edge when I have more time.

Canadave

One Too Many
DeaconKC said:
Canadave, looks like it was mad in the 60s or 70s
check out this link:
http://www.cr8on.com/mugindex.html

Yeah, this is the one;

LATE GLASS MUG 02
1964-1978
$7

This mug was sold from 1964 until 1978. The ship name appears opposite the handle, with Ship Grand Turk on each side. Bottom is marked Old Spice and Shulton with a number that is the mold mark used by Wheaton Glass in the mug manufacturing.

Dimensions 2.25" high X 4.75" rim to handle. This mug introduced a reduced shaving soap cake of 3.75 ounces.

So now I have to find small cakes?

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
The mug talk reminded me of a mug my parents sent me last Christmas..

mug.jpg

Melting.

Canadave said:
This mug introduced a reduced shaving soap cake of 3.75 ounces. So now I have to find small cakes?
I am not sure on this but you might be able to cut up a larger soap and melt it into the mug. Seems like I remember something about melting shave soaps in the microwave, but again I am not sure.

Inky

One Too Many
Hello gents,

I am interested in buying my hubby a safety razor for a Christmas gift - what do you recommend for a good vintage style and any specific kind of blades as well?

thanks in advance!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
DeaconKC said:
+1 on Omega!
I've got an Omega Badger Brush I love. Nice big handle and is a great brush! Their plant is in Venice? We are thinking of going to Italy next year with Venice being one of the stops. I will HAVE to see the plant!
Oh, I don't know where there were made, I just picked one up in the shop.
I do have a lot of travel tips for Venice though, and Italy in general, that I would be happy to share.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Hemingway, I truly enjoyed the pics you posted to on your site. Thanks.

Inky, you can get a good used adjustable Gillette for $20 on up depending on condition and rarity. I buy/sell quite a few of them and you are better off dealing with someone on a forum like Badger and Blade than gambling on ebay if you are new to it. If you post your husband's birth year we can try to find you one from when he was born! I prefer Derby blades as they are very forgiving and consistent.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Canadave, most regular sized glycerine soaps will fit just fine, Col Conk's etc. C&E sized triple milled soaps will have to be milled to fit. You can microwave glycerine soaps but not triple milled/hard soaps.

JEEP

Practically Family
I'll second rmrdaddy's suggestion; Merkur HD 34C

It's a nice and heavy (a great advantege here) and wery "non agressive" razor. A new, more art-deco looking, version, the 38C, has been released this year - but from what I have heard the knotting on the grip is not deep enough, making the razor less easy to handle, so I would stick with the 34C.

I also wouldnt recommend the Merkur Platinum blades, they feel like shaving with a piece of glass. The best blade I have tried so far is the european Gillette Platinums:

Gillette_Platinum01.jpg

Gillette_Platinum03.jpg

They may be a little hard to come by in the US, but they are obtainable.

The shaving set postet by rmrdaddy looks to be a good place to start.

rmrdaddy; just bogart away my friend :)

Regards.

Jakob

I have a Merkur from www.classicshaving.com and it is the Future model.
If you go here: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/190429.htm

You can click on the picture to see a bigger picture of it. Very simple, clean lines, easy to use.

I use the Merkur blades myself and find them to be quite comfortable. I have a lighter beard so I get about 10 shaves out of each blade.

Classic Shaving has a number of double edge safety razors and even carries the Feather brand. Feather blades are supposed to be the sharpest but some people find them irritating. Others report if you take a real cork wine cork and run the edge of the blade thru it, that makes for a more comfortable shave. Perhaps it aligns the edge or removes a wire edge?

JEEP

Practically Family
A few packages in the mail for me today:

Gillette_OldStyle_Tech01.jpg

Gillette_OldStyle_Tech02.jpg

Gillette_OldStyle_Tech03.jpg

A Gillette old style with silvered handle, quite heavy brassing, but still serviceable - and a 60's British Gillette Tech with aluminium handle, nice condition.

Score061208.jpg

Included were also a mechanical blade stropper (still working) and a small bakelite handeled boar brush, stamped "Industria Argentina" at the bottom.

Stropper01jpg.jpg

The markings on the stropper.

So, I guess I have officially started a collection now :)

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family

I am really looking forward to trying the tech. The old style, being more agressive, will have to wait a while.

Regards.

Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe