Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do the Men of the Lounge want for Valentine's Day?

$ally

One Too Many
I'm going to quote some genius lyrics here:
"I won't give you flowers,
they will just wilt and die.
I won't give you chocolate,
my love would go straight to your thighs."

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Try holding the other end...[/QUOTE]

That's far too witty for 3 in the morning. Obviously more booze is required Doc ;)

Rufus

Practically Family
My girlfriend's an artist/designer too, and last year she made me a beautiful card... She's very talented.
On Valentine's we usually make dinner at home, as everyone else is out, trying to be 'romantic'...

:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's also such a have how if you buy red roses two days before Valentine's Day, they are a quarter of the price as if you buy them on Valentine's Day. It's a swindle.

Jovan

Suspended
Hand-made anything makes my day. I think I'm going to bake huge cookies for everyone this year...

Apart from things like that, I don't put too much stock in Valentine's Day. Any woman who puts more value on me spending a lot of money over loving her is OUT.

Corto

A-List Customer
Eureka

Tough question. For so many years I've taken the initiative and planned out gonzo and sentimental romantic evenings, I can't even conceive of anything I'd want from a significant other...

I'd say make him a nice, candlelit dinner -or take him out somewhere...

I know it's not incredibly creative...

...AH.
Ok.
The best gift I ever received from a woman- and we weren't even dating- was an old fashioned shaving kit. The kind with the brush and "solid" shaving cream in a jar. Very old school, very classy. Giving yourself a shave with one of those babies is like going out and getting a massage. In fact, I only use it on days when I really need a lift.

As a matter of fact, I got the kit pictured on this page from The Art of Shaving. (Wow! Didn't know it was that expensive! Time to send another thank you note!)

90050.jpg

Come to think of it, it's been so long since I used it, I'm going to do it this morning. Also, if you use it sparingly, the cream will last for a long time. I've had this kit of 3 years now...(Worth the price, right?)

Edward

Bartender
Alon said:
An Art Fawcett fedora.

There's a good idea..... I'm presuming, as it's a custom, Art can put in his initials? What would be really cool would be if he was able to emboss a message on the band...

Smithy said:
It's also such a have how if you buy red roses two days before Valentine's Day, they are a quarter of the price as if you buy them on Valentine's Day. It's a swindle.

I ordered a rose bouquet last year for delivery. Did it way in advance. Absolutely everywhere had a "special" price which applied a full seven days either side of the 14th. Killer. For years, Dad bought my mother's flowers either the week before or the week after (there was a time when money was tight for them, and this was more a matter of practicality, not being tightfisted). I've always had the luxury of having sufficient disposable income that while I know they're taking the hand outta me, I can swallow it for the time of year. Well, not that I'm bothering this year, but you know what I mean. I guess enough of us do that that they're able to keep at it.

Foofoogal

Banned
This morning, my wife (whom despite having had very little sleep last night as a result of tending to our daughter who is on her fifth bout of bronchitis/croup this winter AND also having a million other things to occupy her time about the house) got up and made me breakfast before I was off to the office. The extraordinary "special" moments in life are great, but it's the seemingly insignificant day-to-day kindnesses that we often take for granted that mean the most.

Thanks, Miss...

That is what is called a keeper. Definitely more to marriage than candy and flowers. Getting up with sick kids is where the rubber meets the road. Now how will you pay her back?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
What do I want? No clue. In the 10 years of my marriage, she never even gave me a card. Now that its over, I figure being alone on Valentines is going to be pretty much the same. If I had to really cross my fingers and wish, I'd say I would absolutely love to have a meal made by someone other than myself, a kiss on the cheek, and someone falling asleep on my shoulder. Ain't gonna happen. Closest I'll get is an ale and sandwich at the local pub, a terrier licking my face gratefully for even coming home, and a long night of insomnia.

Richard

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:

Thats what I mean - give your wife roses four times a year for the same price as one on Valentine's day- She will be four times as happy - and imagine what flowers can do:

http://www.rblm.dk/m.html?s=/UserFiles/File/Inte_Po_1_640.mov

This ad is from a longlasting and famous campaign, done by the best (IMO) agency in Denmark.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I ordered a rose bouquet last year for delivery. Did it way in advance. Absolutely everywhere had a "special" price which applied a full seven days either side of the 14th.

I hate the overpriced rose racket (and I like yellow or cream better than red).

I love the idea of sending flowers other than roses. Once upon a time I was sent flowers at work for Valentines Day--a bouquet of blood red anemones. They stood out among the sea of roses and they were probably a much better deal for the sender too.

Josephine

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I love the idea of sending flowers other than roses.

Indeed. Roses and diamonds... eh. I told The Husband for a holiday (Christmas, Valentines, Mother's Day) I never wanted to get a piece of jewelry that the jewelry stores were touting. Not only do I NOT want something every other woman would be wearing, I think the designs are insipid and they're all diamonds! Bleah.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Well, I am not a fan of roses, or chocolates...or even diamonds. I own one real pearl, that was given to me for my engagement ring... and I got to pick out the smelly oyster myself...that was meaningful.

My love has given me a bonzai tree instead of roses, because at least the bonzai tree will not die in a week.

And I would gladly cook him dinner and spend time with him if we were in the same zip code for more than a few hours at a time. At this point being together for a few days is a present in and of itself.

But I love the idea of giving him a watch with an engraved message on the back, or a fedora, or both. He already has one fedora that he wears to death so giving him a new one would be nice. Thanks to whoever suggested that! :)

I don't jump on the Valentine's Day crapaganda wagon either, but this will be my first Valentine's Day ever...with a significant other. I need to make it special.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
That is what is called a keeper. Definitely more to marriage than candy and flowers. Getting up with sick kids is where the rubber meets the road. Now how will you pay her back?

Hmmm...better keep that one under wraps in case she's following my online ramblings! But, she is DEFINITELY a keeper and one of the two real treasures in my life. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe