Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

mflemming

One of the Regulars
I'd be interested in your opinion once you've tried it. Its quite late here and I've been experimenting with different amounts of water in the cask-strength Balvenie, so please don't press me on the details, but my recollection is that Blanton's is brewed in Kentucky by expatriate Scots with a single-malt heritage. Hence the recommendation.

mflemming

One of the Regulars
As I said its quite late etc. I distinctly see the word "Balvenie" on the screen twice but when I go to edit the post I only see it once. I'll hope it is a bug in the forum software.

mflemming

One of the Regulars
The single/multiple instances of "Balvenie" can be affected by changing the screen width, so it is definitely not me. Phew! Don't have to cut myself off...

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi BD,

Of course, now you come to mention it, I remember you had guests arrive for the weekend. They were welcome to drop by the Club, as I could've arranged temporary membership for them. I trust they are enjoying their stay, are they stopping around for long?

G'n'T's, aka "OHDH's"!

Funny that, as the barman mentioned that your "lop-sidedness" was due to the Daiquiri's! Rest assured, he was duly disciplined!

Danny O
x

Danny O,

Do you mean that there would have been room at the club for my friends also? I wish I had known. Instead, one in particular, stayed home in a crate. I let him out later on that night. He wasn't very pleased with me, to say the least! I'd like them to stay for a long time, however, I fear they have other ideas!

Well, my word, I hope you disciplined the barman! I am a lady, and as such am always in full control of my faculties. Why the insinuation of that insolent server!!!!!!!!

X
BD

I'd be interested in your opinion once you've tried it. Its quite late here and I've been experimenting with different amounts of water in the cask-strength Balvenie, so please don't press me on the details, but my recollection is that Blanton's is brewed in Kentucky by expatriate Scots with a single-malt heritage. Hence the recommendation.

I'll see if the local BevMo carries it here and delve into the experiment.
Bourbon distilled by Scots with a background in Single Malts. Now that should be an interesting Bourbon. :D

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A lovely Martini made with Bellringers Gin, a touch of vermouth, two dashes of orange bitters with 2 olives, 2 onions (well, yes, I suppose that would make it a Gib-tini...), shaken until the shaker was well-frosted and tricky to open.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Blanton's is, I think, distilled by Buffalo Trace (Once Ancient Age, again I think) Distillery. Some say it's the same mashbill as the Buffalo Trace and Rock Hill Farms bottlings. Buffalo Trace is a bit earthy for my tastes, with Rock Hill Farms and Blanton's showing a bit less of the earthy characteristics. I reckon that what appeals to one person's tastes might not suit his neighbor. My wife, for example, likes collard greens.

The idea that Scots or Scots-Irish in Kentucky might be distilling your whiskey probably has some merit. Many of these folks are likely the decendants of that lot of people who fled from places like Pennsylvania to get away from General Washington's whiskey taxes. Scots ancestry or whatever, those folks, once in Kentucky, had to give up making whiskey from barley and learn to make it from corn. Being made from corn and without peat the whiskey is not much like Scotch.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The folks up in Pennsylvania, Scots-Irish and otherwise, mainly used rye as their grain. Rye whiskey is the first American whiskey. Makes me shudder to think of corn whiskey. lol ;)

Brad

rue

The folks up in Pennsylvania, Scots-Irish and otherwise, mainly used rye as their grain. Rye whiskey is the first American whiskey. Makes me shudder to think of corn whiskey. lol ;)

Brad

Moonshine? There was something on the news about moonshine bars popping up everywhere. I've had one sip one time and that was enough for me, but it was the real thing from a real moonshiner.

rumblefish

One Too Many
This will get a rise out of Mr. Rumblefish....Old Crow Reserve with just a bit of ice. 86 octane. This is about the best stuff going in North Carolina for $10 bucks. No other bourbon on my shelves costs less than twice the price of this OC Reserve. Buy some while it's going for a $ sawbuck.
Bourbon? I like Bourbon. I never had a Bourbon I outright didn't like.

:cheers1:
Invite me over- I don't turn my nose up a anything.:) 'cept for the what's in the posts I made in the Sheep Dip thread.;)

Did you ever get to make those Thoroughbreds? The Bourbon and fresh peach cocktails. Excellent peaches last summer!

Bourbon? I like Bourbon. I never had a Bourbon I outright didn't like.

:cheers1:
Invite me over- I don't turn my nose up a anything.:) 'cept for the what's in the posts I made in the Sheep Dip thread.;)

Did you ever get to make those Thoroughbreds? The Bourbon and fresh peach cocktails. Excellent peaches last summer!

You didn't say you disliked anything in the Sheep dip thread. :p
Boubon?! Where is my turn up your nose emoticon?*yucky* Close enough. :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I had a dentist appt near Grand Central Station last night, and as is my habit on such occasions, I stopped at the Oyster Bar down on the lower level of the station. I love that place. I always go to the saloon, adjacent to the main restaurant.
Anyway, I had my new usual thing of a Manhattan and a bowl of white chowder.
So I'm sitting there and they're setting up several tables and some interesting people start sitting down. Turns out this wine importing company was having a tasting for a bunch of food critics and TV food show hosts. Each one has about 6 wine glasses lined up in front of him or her, and a huge plate of oysters. Then several of them got up one by one and explained what they sold, or represented. Totally fascinating to watch. Lots of noses in wine glasses. Lots of gulping of oysters. Lots of very loud trains rumbling through right over our heads.
I couldn't leave with this going on, so I had one more of each, soup and drink. I have to tell you, they pour a GENEROUS drink at the Oyster Bar. I rolled out of there, feeling very mellow, and very entertained. ;)

I had a dentist appt near Grand Central Station last night, and as is my habit on such occasions, I stopped at the Oyster Bar down on the lower level of the station. I love that place. I always go to the saloon, adjacent to the main restaurant.
Anyway, I had my new usual thing of a Manhattan and a bowl of white chowder.
So I'm sitting there and they're setting up several tables and some interesting people start sitting down. Turns out this wine importing company was having a tasting for a bunch of food critics and TV food show hosts. Each one has about 6 wine glasses lined up in front of him or her, and a huge plate of oysters. Then several of them got up one by one and explained what they sold, or represented. Totally fascinating to watch. Lots of noses in wine glasses. Lots of gulping of oysters. Lots of very loud trains rumbling through right over our heads.
I couldn't leave with this going on, so I had one more of each, soup and drink. I have to tell you, they pour a GENEROUS drink at the Oyster Bar. I rolled out of there, feeling very mellow, and very entertained. ;)

You didn't get in on the act? I would have had a bunch of wine glasses and oysters in front of me and impersonated a food critic. I like food and I can crtique food as well as anyone else.......:p

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
I would like some drinks tonight.....not sure what yet though...maybe some red wine!
X
BD

BD,

Yep, after this week, I'd concur with that. A couple of "Park Avenues", and a "Chambord Cosmopolitan" have already set the tone for this evening, and a bottle of red would seem the next logical step.

I'll send a cab round......

Danny O
x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld