Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What *Could* You Do Without?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Haversack said:
Wild Root Wrote: (pardon the alitteration)
"Diesel locomotives? bring back steam!"

Well, several people are doing just that. Modern advances in materials science and systems analysis have convinced several engineers that steam locomotive design did not plataeu in the 1950s. Combine this with the increasing cost of petroleum and steam is beginning to look economically viable in some parts of the world. A Swiss company, DLM, is already building new designs of small steam locomotives for mountain rail lines. There is the South African "Red Devil" - a modernized Class 26 4-8-4 . And there is the 5AT streamliner project being worked on in the UK. Despite being modern, I think the 5AT would pass muster...

http://www.5at.co.uk/

Of course, we'll not likely see them here in the US anytime soon. But places like Australia with little oil but much coal might. (There is a design for a monster 2-14-2+2-14-2 Garratt kicking around down there)

For my own Do Withouts, it would have to be all the children spawned by the growth and spread of freeways: i.e. national chains of food, retail, and service which have not only physically blighted our towns and countryside but also our very perceptions of what food, merchandise, and service are. People who grow up knowing only Tang and oleomargarine think butter and fresh orange juice taste wrong.

Haversack

WHOOOOOooooo WHOOooooooo!

Yeah, that's cool info! I can live with that! I know the day wouldn't ever come but, it would be so cool to see them rebuild old steam loco's in museums and put them back into service! Oh, how my heart would swell to see that! But, it shall never come to pass. But, it's good they're thinking of steam in other countries... that's a start!

That last part about Tang and Lemonade... yes, let me share a story... I have some friends that prefer the fake to the real! In fact, once I had some fresh oranges on the counter that I picked from a friends tree... they were really good. My brother had some friends over from Utah and they saw the oranges... they asked me what they were!!! I told them they were California oranges... they asked why parts of them still had green and some yellow, why they weren't all bright orange? Well, I told them that the oranges they buy in the store are colored and waxed after they're picked... they're fake oranges!

I can live with out fake juice and fake fruit!

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I could really, really, REALLY do without the grating, the execrable, the egregrious, the odious and the just plain mongoloid cry of WOOHOO!

Abusers should be taken out and have the tips of their offending tongues shot off with silver bullets, followed by the lighthearted hammering of wooden stakes through some very deserving gullets.

Or worse.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
I could really, really, REALLY do without the grating, the execrable, the egregrious, the odious and the just plain mongoloid cry of WOOHOO!

Abusers should be taken out and have the tips of their offending tongues shot off with silver bullets, followed by the lighthearted hammering of wooden stakes through some very deserving gullets.

Or worse.

Is this something about which you feel strongly?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
No, no, Wildroot ... I wasn't referring to your locomotive sound at all. You wrote "whooooo whooooooo". I was talking about the ubiquitous (and iniquitous) "woo hoo". Nothing to do with your post, amigo mio. :)

"Whoooo whooooo" is a nice sound that evokes trains. "Woohoo" is a fatuous sound that evokes, er, fatuousness.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc, for sporting occasions and whatnot, when a cheer is actually appropriate, you prefer a good old "hooray?" You never hear "hurrah!" or "hooray!" anymore.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Caledonia said:
Yep, Wild Root, your first sighting is a bit of a shocker! lol
And I was there for one of those threads on line drying - I maintain my position. :D
Poor Root...so innocent :rolleyes: :D Those pictures are actually pretty mild compared to the 'muffin tops' I've seen ! Mostly it seems to be teenagers..I still don't get why they think they look attractive like that?[huh]

Caledonia

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
Poor Root...so innocent :rolleyes: :D Those pictures are actually pretty mild compared to the 'muffin tops' I've seen ! Mostly it seems to be teenagers..I still don't get why they think they look attractive like that?[huh]

Because they haven't got that good old style start when parents shout "Get back up the stairs and change. You are NOT going out dressed like that!" We may have hated them, but the general concept sank in a little I think. :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
That just makes me think of "whoop there it is! whoop there it is!" Which is hardly an Old English classic. lol

Caledonia

Practically Family
Oh yes, with big hair and bad makeup to boot. And the worst of it is, when we get older the memories will only get clearer. :eek:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Or we will have to pay...big time!:eek: I hope my memory of how I looked doesn't get clearer cause what I remember isn't too pretty...the bangs as high as they could go...blue mascara, tons of makeup...yep, REAL pretty!:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe