Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color is "Taupe?" What color are these hats?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I have two Borsalino hats, different colors, that were described as "taupe." I strongly prefer the darker color. Although its graphic shows on my screen as charcoal gray, I would describe it as charcoal gray-with-brown. The lighter hat I call brown.

What is the correct name of the darker color?

Borsalinohat2.jpg
Borsalinohat1.jpg

Naphtali

Practically Family
We have a partial solution. The larger graphic, what I called brown, is taupe.
The darker hat, the smaller graphic, under bright sunlight I can also call the mix of colors dark brown with charcoal. Does this verbal help with identifying its color?

This particular color goes effectively with browns, khaki, grays, black, navy blue.

Unfortunately, I have not seen another hat, by any maker, of the same color.

The hat was imported by Klee Brothers of Chicago and retailed for $20, probably during the 1970s. The brim is 2-5/8 inches and bound. Ribbon is narrow.

Inside the sweatband is the following information on two lines:

1601 9465 C
Uranio TA/Ludora 7-1/8

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Taupe seems to be whatever the seller thinks, provided it's not black, blue or white. Darn near anything else might be called taupe by someone. :eusa_doh:

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Naphtali, the color Uranio was actualy in the gray family from Borsalino . It was used during the 1960's . Today , taupe in Borsalino is color 34. In Italain , it is known as Monlov.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Say "Tawp".

Darker beige to Grey-ish usually used to describe the lighter shades, in reality.
People generally find it difficult to distinguish between colours and describe them, so Taupe has become one of the "don't really know" colours.
Forget the dictionary...

Taken from the colour of a furry French animal.

B
T

Squaresville

New in Town
Trying to date a Borsalino "monlov" homburg

besdor said:
Naphtali, the color Uranio was actualy in the gray family from Borsalino . It was used during the 1960's . Today , taupe in Borsalino is color 34. In Italain , it is known as Monlov.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Steven, I saw your post and I was wondering if you could help me date my hat. It is a Borsalino Homburg and it is labeled as "monlov" in the sweatband. It also reads "Idorsc.." on the other side of the tag. There is a Rogers & Peet price tag of $20.00 on it. The serial number is 28 23885. I am, admittedly, planning on selling it on Ebay. I would appreciate any help you might be able to give. Thank you.

Squaresville

sproily

Practically Family
It is funny how the word "taupe" has very close resemblance to the finnish word "toope" in spelling as apparently in pronunciation. Toope is a playful word for dumb. A dumb person perhaps. English equivalent could be "dummy", if you will.

It can also be used as an adjective to describe mear foolishness in a playful sense.

Thus I declare that this color, taupe, is toope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe