Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Went to an open day at the Ministry of Defence earlier wearing this. Only the waistcoat and jacket are vintage.
img1393ld.jpg

img1390o.jpg
Paints pair pretty nicely. Gray pants pair excellent with the vintage clothes, very good selection.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Had a start of the year social at work.

It is the hottest part of the year at the moment so off-white linen was in order.

398339902.jpg

398339903.jpg

Montecristi Panama from Panama Bob, bespoke linen trousers copied from a vintage pattern, one of those el cheapo Taso Elba action back sportcoats we all went crazy over last year, vintage Winter Wonderland tie from Resortes, BB suspenders, bespoke white and brown spectators, bespoke shirt with long collar points, and BB red and blue silk knot cufflinks. THe problem with linen sportcoat is that by the end of the day it rides up and show off more of the cuffs than I like, but oh well...

Wonderful setting in the YWCA here in town. Built in the 1920s in a Mediterranean style, its a beautiful building well adapted for the Hawaiian climate. Those of you with sharp eyes will recall it was often used in Lost to stand in for resorts in exotic locations like Egypt and Tunisia...

hist_front.jpg

2176274523_3461e465a5.jpg

lani_loggia_350.jpg

And the lovely building during the Golden Era:

hist_Walkway.jpg

hist_43KnitforRedCrossAfterDec7.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Paints pair pretty nicely. Gray pants pair excellent with the vintage clothes, very good selection.
I agree and would go as far as saying that gray trousers belong in every man's wardrobe regardless of whether he's a vintage wearer or not. These ones aren't actually vintage but quite wide legged and high waisted making them ideal for a vintage inspired look.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Alan!

I like your look for the MoD! I've never been there, but I did get a chance to go to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office once and enjoyed it very much.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Thank you :). I'm glad I finally bought that waistcoat (I've been thinking about it for nearly six months) because it's such a useful and versatile piece.

The waistcoat really sets off the whole outfit, and it was a good purchase. Six months? Really? :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I like your look for the MoD! I've never been there, but I did get a chance to go to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office once and enjoyed it very much.
It was only a local MoD station, not the main MoD headquarters. Nevertheless very interesting. I'd like to visit the FCO sometime, especially since I wouldn't mind a job there. To date the only government building I've been to is the House of Commons and the office building housing the MPs' offices opposite Parliament (Portcullis House).

Scotus said:
The waistcoat really sets off the whole outfit, and it was a good purchase. Six months? Really? :)
I wasn't sure whether the waistcoat would suit me or not, plus I had lots of other vintage things to buy first. Then I decided that two odd waistcoats wasn't enough as I wear them quite often.

Mario said:
I feel with you, Alan. Facing a camera that's pointed at me always makes me want to duck and cover - and that solemn expression I'm wearing in photos is simply the result of me wondering if it would be possible to topple that sofa and hide behind it... ;)
I'm not shy of cameras, in fact I'm what my girlfriend calls a "camera whore" :p. Unfortunately that still doesn't make me look good on them.

Shangas said:
Waistcoat & tie look great! What are the buttons made of? They look metallic. I like the coat as well, although I don't know if I'd pick that colour combination.
Thanks. The buttons are actually made of metal with white mother of pearl inside, which looks quite nice in person although it's difficult to photograph. I was experimenting with the colour combination, trying to get something casual which mixes earth tones and greys.

HepKitty

One Too Many
this was Friday but I was away from a real computer for a few days

Here is the pattern because the photo isn't great

butterick6503.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Also from Friday, because I am too lazy to upload things fast...
IMG_0647.jpg

And now I have a question for y'all. I would put in the questions and answers thread, but I think more will see it here.
I have had this jacket for a few years, but very rarely wear it, because it is really part of a suit, and I don't own the pants (thrift store). So far the only thing I have done is wear it when I am feeling modern with jeans.
IMG_0652.jpg

However, I recently got a pair of gray slacks which I love, and which I think look good with it. They are significantly lighter, and more or less match the color of the chalk stripes on the jacket.
IMG_0657.jpg

What do you think, does it work?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
What do you think, does it work?
Firstly, nice outfit. Secondly, yes. Flat Foot Floey has a very similar jacket which he wears with grey flannels as it's an orphaned suit jacket. Whilst it's regrettable that there are no matching trousers I think you can turn it into a very nice look with grey, cream or white trousers. The one thing I wouldn't wear it with is jeans ;). I've worn the jackets of all my suits with odd trousers at some point as it doubles the number of combinations you can have with a limited wardrobe, plus it's a good way of travelling light.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, nice outfit. Secondly, yes. Flat Foot Floey has a very similar jacket which he wears with grey flannels as it's an orphaned suit jacket. Whilst it's regrettable that there are no matching trousers I think you can turn it into a very nice look with grey, cream or white trousers. The one thing I wouldn't wear it with is jeans ;).

Cool, thanks. I just don't want it to look like I am pretending to wear a suit. With jeans (dark) and a scarf or such, it is a very modern, sartorialist style look, which I sometimes do. However, I would prefer not to wear jeans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe