Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Marty M.

Vendor
Nah, don't fret it. No harm was intended.

Jerekson said:
I feel horrible.

You shoudn't. PM is really a good guy. I know that he's been hit at the other online spots. He'll be back posting. He's got to much of a taste level not to post to his buddies over here. Now drink some warm milk and go to bed :rolleyes: .
Marty Mathis

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Jerekson said:
I feel horrible.

Please don't! That's why I wrote a longish explanation. I had been thinking those thoughts already, this was just the particular moment that they came out. As the Internet moves inexorably in an audiovisual direction, some of us who enjoyed this brief period of writing will be finding other hobbies. I thought that MK's post with the jazzy graphic "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!," whether he meant it in jest or not, was very instructive in that regard. There is a philosophy buried in that joke, and it's not a "vintage" philosophy -- it's relentlessly techno-progressive, in fact. Five years ago, communicating in words in this medium was enough. Now, I sense frustration if there is not something to be seen and something to be heard (and I'm not exempt from that, I enjoy people's pics as well). The Internet is just another form of television now, and it will inevitably become more so. In a year, pics won't be enough here -- people will be putting up audio and video posts, and wanting them as well. It will all seem very cool, and many people will become enthusiastic micro-producers (it's already happened on YouTube).

I'll be over in the corner reading a book.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
In the interests of keeping the peace:

Vintage blue-grey two-button double-vented Harris tweed sportcoat from Hector Buzzell Kiltmaker Group of Inverness, Scotland (new purchase, nifty as heck, heavy tweed, leather buttons)
Dark grey flannel cuffed trousers
Polo white button-down, open neck
Vintage trout fly in left lapel
Plain white pocket handkerchief, rectangular fold, very simple
Dark brown belt
Dark grey non-ribbed OTC socks
Dark brown Allen Edmonds Grayson tassel mocs (I love grey and brown together)
Swiss Army watch with black band
Burberry cologne
Tan single-breasted topcoat
Brown leather gloves
Red patterned scarf
Vintage Champ dark tan short-brim fedora with black band and feather

I feel like Jesse Jackson, who when his marital infidelity was revealed toward the end of a week, announced that Friday that he was retiring from politics forever in favor of a life of contemplation. The following Monday, he announced that he had gotten in all the contemplation he needed over the weekend, and that he was back to politics. So what it amounted to was, he took the weekend off like any normal person. Big whoop. I didn't even take a day off. :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Glad to see you here Patrick! I hate that "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!" graphic too. Worthless is an awfully harsh term.

Marty M.

Vendor
Yeah.

Patrick Murtha said:
In the interests of keeping the peace:

Vintage blue-grey two-button double-vented Harris tweed sportcoat from Hector Buzzell Kiltmaker Group of Inverness, Scotland (new purchase, nifty as heck, heavy tweed, leather buttons)
Dark grey flannel cuffed trousers
Polo white button-down, open neck
Vintage trout fly in left lapel
Plain white pocket handkerchief, rectangular fold, very simple
Dark brown belt
Dark grey OTC socks
Dark brown Allen Edmonds Grayson tassel mocs (I love grey and brown together)
Swiss Army watch with black band
Burberry cologne
Tan single-breasted topcoat
Brown leather gloves
Red patterned scarf
Vintage Champ dark tan short-brim fedora with black band and feather

I feel like Jesse Jackson, who when his marital infidelity was revealed toward the end of a week, announced that Friday that he was retiring from politics forever in favor of a life of contemplation. The following Monday, he announced that he had gotten in all the contemplation he needed over the weekend, and that he was back to politics. So what it amounted to was, he took the weekend off like any normal person. Big whoop. I didn't even take a day off.

Geez, at least give me a chance to miss you ;) . By the way, you're no Jesse Jackson, and we're happy for it. I'm glad that you're posting buddy.
Marty Mathis

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Patrick is a very valued member here, I'm sure we all agree on that.

The fact that a member 'contributes' in such a positive way as Patrick does, is an example that should lead us all. Whether by words or pictures, it is the contribution that is the important thing.;) And there lies the 'worth.'
So all photos or prose (Whatever folk are comfortable with) are well received and appreciated!!! :)

Let's move onwards and upwards with this thread!! thankyou gentlemen :D

A 'wee' thought Gentlemen with regard to some of these 'jokes.'
Humour is a very personal thing, so choose very carefully with whom and when to use it, as it can have a nasty sting in its tail and can just inadvertantly touch a raw nerve and demoralise, especially when you don't know a person, and it's just 'read' in print (without any other communication aids of body language and facial expression).

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Patrick,

People on FL ask me to post photographs all the time. I always try to explain and apologise but refuse as politely as I can. It's just not done where (and when) I come from. I know a few other regulars who feel the same. I don't have a digital camera anyway.

I sometimes think the 'photo' people don't understand, but perhaps it's unrealistic to expect them to. They don't mean anything - it's just a different world view.

My advice is, if you're not comfortable posting pictures of yourself or what you own, don't do it. I don't and yet people occasionally have the good grace to tell me that I contribute something to the Lounge.

Personally I'm a 'list and prose' person too. I think you can get enough information from either without pictures. But then that's my world view...

Alan

Patrick Murtha said:
Well, sort of serious. I know your comment was sarcastic, and I've gotten several such. I would guess that they were mainly friendly-spirited (well, one I'm not sure), but the repetition of the theme is getting to be a downer. I apologize if I replied petulantly. But it leads me to question why I'm posting in the thread in the first place.

When I first began posting such descriptions to two other well-known menswear boards in July 2006, it seems that about the half the posters in the "What are you wearing today?" threads included pictures, and half did not. Those percentages have shifted; it's probably more like 80/20 now, and here at The Lounge, the tendency is even more pronounced.

I'm a prose guy. I like writing the descriptions of my outfits, and I like writing other posts as well. But taking photographs of myself is not my particular form of self-expression. It's true that I don't have the correct camera set-up, and I have been using that as an excuse; but it is also true that I have been in no rush to remedy that situation, either.

Pictures draw a different sort of comment than descriptions. At the SF board, the take-downs are positively brutal, and the label snobbery is out of control; I wouldn't post pictures there if you paid me. At AAAC, the reactions are not so pronouncedly critical, but still snarky sometimes. Here at the Lounge, politeness reigns, but I still haven't been eager to post pics.

To fully reveal my "left hand column" here -- I'm not wearing Brioni. I enjoy my suits, I get them well altered and I accessorize them sharply, but I'm still not blowing $1,000.00 or more a pop. I don't need to spend that kind of money to look decent in Northeast Wisconsin -- no one here is really going to care about the difference between Brioni and Joseph Bank, and most of them can't even see that difference.

But on the boards, it's a different story; there's "expert" scrutiny. And while that's fine and all for those who want it, I feel no raging desire to defend my choices all day long, whether those choices be in the area of general style, color coordination, or cost of goods.

But if I look at what has happened, I find I'm defending myself anyway, for not posting the pictures that I was not posting in order to avoid other areas of contention! It's a lose-lose -- as, I'm afraid, posting in electronic forums often is.

I'm not going away entirely, I'll still post at The Lounge on a variety of topics, but I honestly do think I need a break from this thread.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Also easier.

Dark brown cuffed and pleated worsted trousers

Tattersall shirt

Polo Fair Isle type sweater vest

Early thirties brown and orange necktie, a gift from Marc Chevalier

Russet leather Rickson AAF low quarter shoes

Brown ribbed socks

Goat skin Indiana Jones leather jacket

Custom B!Wear brown tweed soft panel cap

Reproduction Gruen Curvex wristwatch

(I don't like to post photos of myself, actually)

The whole thing needed suede chukka boots and one of John's new A-1 jackets. Someday.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Well, it is easier, yes. To me, the whole self-photography thing seems cumbersome and elaborate. However, I do very much enjoy the photos that people post, and I appreciate the effort that goes into that. So I think a mixed approach for the Lounge as a whole is the most appropriate, inclusive, and fun. If we move to audio and video, that will be fine too -- as long as it doesn't become an expectation.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Gotcha! Clear and focused in the mind's eye...

Alan

scotrace said:
Dark brown cuffed and pleated worsted trousers

Tattersall shirt

Polo Fair Isle type sweater vest

Early thirties brown and orange necktie, a gift from Marc Chevalier

Russet leather Rickson AAF low quarter shoes

Brown ribbed socks

Goat skin Indiana Jones leather jacket

Custom B!Wear brown tweed soft panel cap

Reproduction Gruen Curvex wristwatch

(I don't like to post photos of myself, actually)

The whole thing needed suede chukka boots and one of John's new A-1 jackets. Someday.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Well, I took my own advice and actually laid out an outfit before I went to bed last night. Not very vintage, but more imaginative than yesterday's effort so points there.

Knee length copper colored crinkle silk skirt with godets
Oatmeal colored (with brown undertones) scooped neck top with brown, green and rust embroidery; lamentably, I have the sleeves pushed up--I should really hem them to 3/4 length
Black heeled mary janes--note to self; get a pair of brown shoes!
40's faux tortiseshell barrette
Silver Danecraft bracelet with bird motif

Chiming in on the picture taking issue, I find the problem is that I never have time to take a picture in the morning and I often forget when I get home. I don't have a camera phone and I don't usually carry my camera with me (but maybe I should do the latter).

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
Today I'm going vintage! I'm wearing dark grey wool trousers, a white cotton dress shirt, a black, blue and grey tie (I don't know how to describe the design of the tie), and I'm wearing my black fedora which happens to have a blue band. I think it looks pretty good to me =)

Marty M.

Vendor
All this talking is making me yawn

Alright already, enough with the talk. Let's get down to the pictures :p .

Todays outfit:
Suit Navy W/Blue stripe DB.
Shirt White W/Blue Check French Cuff.
Tie Red Woven pattern by J.Z Richards Gallery Collection.
Shoes Merlot Bal's by Allen Edmonds.
Watch Jules Jurgensen.
Cuff Link Vintage Silver W/Blue stone in a Wrap Around style.
Thanks for viewing.
Marty Mathis

P1010310.jpg

P1010315-1.jpg

P1010316.jpg

P1010313.jpg

P1010321.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Wow Marty, I've never seen a wraparound cufflink before--very sharp. And I think you have the best collection of ties I've ever seen.

Jerekson

One Too Many
It looks like everything has been settled, but again my most sincere apologies to Patrick, and anyone else I may have bothered with that joke.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Jerekson said:
It looks like everything has been settled, but again my most sincere apologies to Patrick, and anyone else I may have bothered with that joke.

You didn't mean anything by it, so I'm the one who should apologize. It was more of a cumulative event that I was reacting to.

Interestingly, someone on another board started in on me today (privately, thank heaven) about the photographs issue. Here I go again! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82