Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
John Boyer said:
I just completed The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh selected and edited by Ronald De Leeuw and I am starting Adam Bede by George Eliot. Primarily, becuase Vincent Van Gogh recommended Adam Bede. John

John:

Borrowed The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh from a nephew
home from school, a revised Constable edition that includes the
sister-in-law's memoir. I always considered Van Gogh more tragic
than merely troubled, and this collection sums his genius and flaws in
equal measure. A well balanced portrait of the artist. :)

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Rereading The Great Gatsby.

I was 13 when I last read it, too dense then to get it. Now it's a lot easier to appreciate the more subtle aspects of the story

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Macheath said:
Rereading The Great Gatsby.

I was 13 when I last read it, too dense then to get it. Now it's a lot easier to appreciate the more subtle aspects of the story
I just finished rereading it as well. We were required to read it in highschool; I enjoyed it but couldn't remember much about it. I read it again in 2007, and then again just recently. It's easily one of my favorites, and I appreciate it a little more each time I read it. Perhaps I'll have another go at it next year. :)

byronic

One of the Regulars
'Arrows of desire - The films of Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger'by Ian Christie.
A bit on the pricey side, but fans will think it worth every penny (or cent).

THe Conductor

One of the Regulars
Like Hidden Fire: The Plot to Bring Down the British Empire by Peter Hopkirk

It a book about the plot to bring down the British empire :p

Seriously, much of it is a precursor to modern day Middle Eastern politics.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
For Christmas I received a copy of Marty Stuarts photography collection titled: "Country Music- The Masters". I've been enjoying it now for the past several days. Awesome photos of the country stars of yesterday.

Feraud

Bartender
I read James M. Cain's Double Indemnity. Even if you have seen the film the book is worth a read. The only negative is the ending. It was very improbable.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I started reading Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan's detective series, set in the city of Baltimore. I've never been there.

Lippman is a good writer and I do recommend reading What the Dead Know, not in the series, a great read.

karol

Gary D.

New in Town
I enjoy reading books set in the 1930s and early 1940s--generally World War II thrillers, but there are two books (usually combined into one volume) that I'd like to add to my collection: When Worlds Collide and After Worlds Collide. Don't go by the 1951 film, which I thought was ludicrous. I think there's also another remake out.

The books are long out of print--1931 and 1933--and were originally supposed to be a trilogy, but, for some reason, the third book was never written.

At one time you could download the books from Project Guttenberg Australia, but when I went into the site, thinking I could once again enjoy reading them, apparently the authors' heirs had an injunction forbidding downloading. Seems the copyrights would have long since run out.

Anyway, I highly recommend these books if anyone is not acquainted with them.

Cricket

Practically Family
The Shooters

It is a collection of stories about the gunmen of the Old West. Very informative and entertaining. You always read about the legends of certain gunmen, but this book gives you some stories that you have probably never heard before. Overall, just a good read.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
On The Road To Tara; The Making of Gone With The Wind
by Aljean Harmetz; also Suburban Rapture, Sunday's
New York Times Book Review of poet Phyllis McGinley, a wistful
and most appealing poetic glimpse of the 1950s. :)

just_me

Practically Family
Cagney by John McCabe. Cagney has been my favorite actor since I was about 10 years old and fell in love with him while watching Yankee Doodle Dandy on Million Dollar Movie in NYC (lo, those many years ago lol )

Feraud

Bartender
just_me said:
Cagney by John McCabe. Cagney has been my favorite actor since I was about 10 years old and fell in love with him while watching Yankee Doodle Dandy on Million Dollar Movie in NYC (lo, those many years ago lol )
I really liked the McCabe bio.
Million Dollar Movie brings back memories!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe