Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Harp said:
...Next time you see him say hello! :)

What is your scholastic field?

:eek:fftopic:

English and Classical Civilisation. I think he studies English lit but he's two years below me.

Sunny

One Too Many
I just started reading Doctor Syn Returns by Russell Thorndike. It's the first of about half a dozen books about the vicar of a small village in Kent in the 1770s. He's a very unusual vicar, let me just say. ;) I understand that Disney's "The Scarcrow of Romney Marsh" is based upon the books.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
JazzBaby said:
:eek:fftopic:

English and Classical Civilisation. I think he studies English lit but he's two years below me.

So, say hi to Marty Boy.
Classical Civ is a great field; spent some years in Greece, love philosophy.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
JazzBaby said:
I know the new law is that one parent has to have been born in the country... but I think that's if you want to be an Irish citizen, and was introduced to control immigration issues. Before that, we'd give citizenship to anyone who had even an Irish sounding name!lol

Well gee if I'd have known that earlier..........oh well, I guess I'll just have to live there for ten years...darn:rolleyes: :D

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
In addition to The Story of B, I'm now getting into The Hound of the Baskervilles for my English class, I'm so happy I can sit and read and not feel like I'm neglecting homework anymore.:D

Jay

Practically Family
I'm reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. It's turning out to be a lot better than I first thought.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
My recent reading and a comment on a previous post:

Steve said:
Right now I'm working through quite a few books:

The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper
For Whom the Bell Tolls, by Ernest Hemingway
Digging for the Truth, by Josh Bernstein
The Man in the Iron Mask, by Alexandre Dumas

Coupled with my history and science textbooks, I stay very busy with reading these days.

I read Mohicans recently, then rented the movie with Daniel Day-Lewis as Hawkeye. I was shocked at the shameless rewriting of the story to fit the usual sexual themes of recent Hollywood schlock.

This is a convenient place to put in a plug for Project Gutenberg. I downloaded The Last of the Mohicans, as I have many other public domain works, from Project Gutenberg. If you like to read the classics, that's a good place to start. While you're there, download George Washington's Farewell Address to the Congress. He had some insight into the partisan gridlock and foreign entanglements featured in US news today.

My current books in progress:

David Allen, Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity, ISBN 0-670-89924-0

And, just for fun, Jerrilyn Farmer's The Flaming Luau of Death, a murder mystery set on the Kona coast of the Big Island, with a side trip to my mother-in-law's hometown, Hawi, in the North Kohala district. ISBN 0-06-058731-8

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Jay said:
I'm reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. It's turning out to be a lot better than I first thought.

Hemingway, often considered a simple declarative sentence,
and erroneous Nobel Prize, is far richer and honest than first glance
may indicate. :)

Steve

Practically Family
DeeDub said:
I read Mohicans recently, then rented the movie with Daniel Day-Lewis as Hawkeye. I was shocked at the shameless rewriting of the story to fit the usual sexual themes of recent Hollywood schlock.

This is a convenient place to put in a plug for Project Gutenberg. I downloaded The Last of the Mohicans, as I have many other public domain works, from Project Gutenberg. If you like to read the classics, that's a good place to start. While you're there, download George Washington's Farewell Address to the Congress. He had some insight into the partisan gridlock and foreign entanglements featured in US news today.
Thanks for the link; I'll give it a look-see. I've been to sites like that, but not so diverse.

After I started reading the Last of the Mohicans, I began to put the film adaptation on my Netflix queue, but after reading the synopsis and seeing the trailer, I'm in agreement with you; terrible translation to the screen. It's a pity that no film company has the spine to do things as they should be done.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Last of the Mohicans' may not be a "true" translation of the novel but it is a beautifully shot and scored film with excellent fight scenes. I even liked the costuming.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Just started reading (well, listening to) Robinson Crusoe--arguably the first English novel, written in 1719. It's great, and abridged versions that cut out Crusoe's reflections and commentary on Divine Providence just don't cut it.

The full title is The Life and Strange Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York, Mariner: who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an uninhabited Island on the coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pirates. Written by Himself.

Sunny

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
Just started reading (well, listening to) Robinson Crusoe--arguably the first English novel, written in 1719. It's great, and abridged versions that cut out Crusoe's reflections and commentary on Divine Providence just don't cut it.

The full title is The Life and Strange Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York, Mariner: who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an uninhabited Island on the coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pirates. Written by Himself.

And it has no chapter divisions! lol

I've read it at least twice. When I was younger my favorite was Swiss Family Robinson, but I haven't read either in a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld