Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Miss Brill

One Too Many
volatile said:
There's a couple - one more scholarly, and that one which is more artistic!

I'd rather have something artistic any day! ;)

This arrived today & I'll be reading it tonight:
041-1.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
volatile said:
A new book arrived from Amazon today:

Mutter Museum: Of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia
by Gretchen Worden.

An absolutely stunning collaborative project photo-book that marries an amazing collection of medical specimens with some cutting-edge photography.

I love the Mutter Museum. I dragged my grandma along with me when we were in Philadelphia for the day. Somehow I always take the poor woman to things she'd rather not see -- the Mutter Museum and travelling torture exhibition we saw in Atlantic City among them.

Anyway, I'm finally getting around to reading Water for Elephants, which someone on these boards suggested. My dad just finished it and loved it so I'm sure I will too.

volatile

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
I love the Mutter Museum. I dragged my grandma along with me when we were in Philadelphia for the day. Somehow I always take the poor woman to things she'd rather not see -- the Mutter Museum and travelling torture exhibition we saw in Atlantic City among them.

I've never been, and so the books have to suffice! Geography sucks...

Foofoogal

Banned
Just finished reading Test Pattern by Marjorie Klein. It was a disappointing book about TV and how it changed things. Picked it up for $1.00 somewhere and the cover looked better than the book and I use that term lightly. Wasted a good $1.00.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I'm reading Siddhartha By Herman Hess. It was one of those highschool summer reading thingy i had to read way back when, but its by far one of the best books i've read. Ive been through it quite a few times and i always pick up on something new. I love this book so much I quote it in conversations daily like a big nerd lol

Next up for me is Love in The Time of Cholera. Nooooot really into the girly girl super love me til i die roll in flowers and run off into the sunset love stories. But I hear its a great book so i'll have to check it out.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I miss reading fiction. Roll on summer!

Currently reading "Critical Political Emergency and the State: Failure and the fate of the state" by Cliffe and Luckham. Or, I should say, putting off reading "Critical Political Emergency and the State Failure and the fate of the state" by Cliffe and Luckham by being on here. Better get back to it, Emma :(

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ada Veen said:
I miss reading fiction. Roll on summer!

Currently reading "Critical Political Emergency and the State: Failure and the fate of the state" by Cliffe and Luckham. Or, I should say, putting off reading "Critical Political Emergency and the State Failure and the fate of the state" by Cliffe and Luckham by being on here. Better get back to it, Emma :(

Can't you just rent the DVD? :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Gore Vidal's "The Golden Era". So far, I do not like it. I haven not gotten engaged with it at all.

I just finished reading "A Criminal and An Irishman: The Inside Story of the Boston Mob - IRA Connection" by Patrick Nee. The author was an insider and his tale is amazing.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Marlowe said:
Farmer Boy is one of my all-time great memories from childhood..

Another great one--I think my favorite episode in that one is with Lucy the pig and the blacking brush.

I just finished The Star Machine by Jeanine Basinger. Although I think she could have cut the last chapter about stardom after the machine I'd still highly recommend the book. I especially enjoyed the fact that she looks at lesser known stars, and I think she's funny in addition to having solid scholarship. Not an exact quote, but she says about Maria Montez: "It's one thing to become a star by playing Queen Elizabeth or Madame Curie. It's another thing altogther to become a star wearing a pair of wedge shoes and harem pants intoning lines like 'I am Shaharazade, destroyer of men!'"

Hmm, what's next?

pgoat

One Too Many
TheDutchess said:
I'm reading Siddhartha By Herman Hess. It was one of those highschool summer reading thingy i had to read way back when, but its by far one of the best books i've read. Ive been through it quite a few times and i always pick up on something new. I love this book so much I quote it in conversations daily like a big nerd lol.

I'll have to give that one another try. Started it last summer and got sidetracked due to an illness in the family.

Am currently halfway through Sometimes a Great Notion (Kesey)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Let's see. In the last monht I've finished, "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, "The Birthday Party" by Stanley N. Alpert and cruised through two books on studio strobe lighting. I'll be starting a biography of Hans Conried soon.

Lee

Harp

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
Don't despair, I finished "Why I Am A Catholic" (by Garry Wills) a couple months ago and I'm still on the edge of conversion from non-denominationalist Protestantism, despite my southern Irish blood...

heathen. ;)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
Oh I love Hans Conried Lee--can I trouble you for the name/author for this book?

Not a problem, Dear. It's titled, Hans Conried (etc.) and was written by Suzanne Gargiulo. I got it at Amazon.

Just yesterday I watched Hans in a television adaptation of Miracle on 34th Street. The DVD states that it's from 1957 and that it's in color, but the credits date it to 1955 and it's unmistakenly in black and white. For some reason (probably a simple omission), the book doesn't mention this one at all. [huh]

Lee

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
MrNewportCustom said:
Not a problem, Dear. It's titled, Hans Conried (etc.) and was written by Suzanne Gargiulo. I got it at Amazon.

Just yesterday I watched Hans in a television adaptation of Miracle on 34th Street. The DVD states that it's from 1957 and that it's in color, but the credits date it to 1955 and it's unmistakenly in black and white. For some reason (probably a simple omission), the book doesn't mention this one at all. [huh]

Lee

Thank you Sir, you're a prince among men. I'll have to track down that version of Miracle on 34th Street, it sounds good.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished Gene Tierney's autobiography (goodness, that poor lady had quite a life) and I'm now starting The Genius of the System by Thomas Schatz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe