Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Biography on Humphrey Bogart.

I love biographies! And I'm loving this one on Humphrey DeForest Bogart. He hasn't made it 'big' yet in the book...but we all know that by the end of the 40's he's one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood:eusa_clap

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I'm reading "In Search of the Old Ones". It has to do with the Anasazi and the many mysteries that surround them.
An excellent read and much recommended for anyone into archeaology.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
I read history all the time, and some biography.

Clio recommends the late David Grene's Of Farming & Classics,
University of Chicago Press. Grene, an Irish expat translated Aeschylus,
Sophocles, and Euripides and taught at Harvard and the U of Chicago. :)

S

Samsa

I just got home and plan on reading nothing but Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows until I am done with it. Then it's back to Sister Carrie. Over my vacation I finished up Portrait of the Artist as Young Man as well as One Hundred Years of Solitude.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Just finished a political thriller, The Emperor of Ocean Park, am now reading a archeological/theological thriller, On the Fifth Day.

Then, I plan to read some nonfiction.

karol

dr greg

One Too Many
add to your list

cooncatbob said:
I just finished "Fall of the House of Habsburg" and I've started "Bismarck and the German Empire" and after that I'll be starting "The Long Fuse" (An Interpretation of the Origins of World War I
Interesting reading but a little dry. lol
If that's your bag at the moment I highly recommend Dreadnought by Robert.K.Massie.
I've just started Darkness at Noon by Koestler, and just finished Scoop By E.Waugh..playing catch-up I spose.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Finished Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows today at 5pm. Magnificent. Just magnificent. I'm in mourning for the series now. *sigh*

cooncatbob

Practically Family
dr greg said:
If that's your bag at the moment I highly recommend Dreadnought by Robert.K.Massie.
I've just started Darkness at Noon by Koestler, and just finished Scoop By E.Waugh..playing catch-up I spose.

Thanks, I'm also a Navy buff. Most of what I know of the dreadnoughts I learned form the Timelife The Seafarers series "The Dreadnoughts"

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ShortClara said:
Finished Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows today at 5pm. Magnificent. Just magnificent. I'm in mourning for the series now. *sigh*

My wife and I picked it up this morning and read it out loud during our road trip today. Alas, not much time to delve into it further for another 24 hours or so.

anabolina

A-List Customer
ShortClara said:

I also just finished it. I got stuck listening to the cds since my sisters and brother were reading the book, but that's okay since ts given me some sewing time. ;) I just have to say 'Wow'. It's really affecting to the point where I just don't know what to think... It's just wow!!! Maybe I'll be more articulate once I get some sleep.

BTW Alan C, that's what we did with the last one. We were driving from Wyoming to Dallas and I still remember us reading aloud Dumbledore's death right as we were entering Dallas.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
anabolina said:
I still remember us reading aloud Dumbledore's death right as we were entering Dallas.

I fell behind in the series, tried to catch-up with little luck, and only
yesterday learned that Professor Snape had done away with Dumbledore! :eek:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Another who just finished HP--I fell asleep on the couch in the early hours of this morning around page 500 and woke up at some ungodly hour clutching the book like a teddy bear.

I was not expecting to like this last book much (how will she tie up all those loose ends?) but it was one of my favorites. Very readable and engaging. I'll say no more for fear of spoilers.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Just finished reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" Preordered it on Amazon and received it yesterday.
I won't give away the ending but the whole series of books and the movies have been quite enjoyable. Classic tale of good and evil. reluctant hero, faithful sidekick, know it all female and dastardly villains. Successful formula since Homer's Iliad and the odyssey.
Bob.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
"Facts"

HadleyH said:
Hands up how many of you loungers appreciate fact, such as biographies instead of fiction! :)

Is my hands up still accounted? I love fact books (history of art, religion history, 'normal history', natural history, etc.). You wonder sometimes to see which fiction books get their stuff from which 'primary' sources.

Naturally I like to read some fictions.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Hello Doran,

Doran said:
Abebooks is wonderful. I have used them, as well, many many times.

Doran, I second you,
Abebooks and such sites pawed the way for me to purchase online.
I shun e-bay: I have translated complaint letters to German for a friend in the matter of non-delivery to a 100% reliable seller.

But such established sites are really A1. Barnes and noble is very expensive. Chapitre .com. amazon com (trivial but great). I could find some vintage painters biographies there.

I go to antiquariums too - it is easier to find some classics in old editions.

How are you doing with your thesis?

It was such a fun to read some books on Sumerian Pantheon (that was in Hungarian) and the Book of Enoch to understand who are the names in Necronomicon.
To understand, from where Lovecrafts ancient ones come from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82