Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Sunny

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
A good one. Some of Christopher Tolkien's best editorial work thus far.

I'm currently reading Deconstructing Evangelicalism, by D.G. Hart.

What's that about?

I'm reading The Crime at Black Dudley, the first Albert Campion book by Margery Allingham. I'm enjoying it immensely.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Just finished re-reading (as I do almost every year) Mel Torm?©'s autobio, It Wasn't All Velvet. A Great memoir, it's too bad that 'ol Mel didn't get around to writing a second memoir about the years after 1988.

Now I'm reading the Peter Kane detective stories in the compilation Bottled In Blonde, by Hugh B. Cave.

After that, I'm going to try James Ellroy's L.A. Confidential.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
What's that about?

I'm reading The Crime at Black Dudley, the first Albert Campion book by Margery Allingham. I'm enjoying it immensely.

Hart's thesis is, roughly, that the construction of the identity of Evangelical Christianity since the mid-20th century, with its emphasis on political/social matters over churchly ones, has been detrimental to conservative Protestant Christianity.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've got "Ragtime in Simla" by Barbara Cleverly on the go at the moment. Thoroughly recommend it as well, good plot and paints a very evocative picture of the Raj.

Sunny

One Too Many
Nathan Dodge said:
Now I'm reading the Peter Kane detective stories in the compilation Bottled In Blonde, by Hugh B. Cave.
That's one I haven't heard of. When did he write? Who'd you compare him to?

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Sunny said:
That's one I haven't heard of. When did he write? Who'd you compare him to?

Hugh B. Cave (1910-2004) was one prolific writer! Besides his classic detective stories featuring the usually intoxicated Peter Kane (stories written during 1934-42) Cave also cranked out hundreds of horror, mystery, and detective tales. He was one of the few to live long enough to be appreciated for his work. He ain't Chandler or Bellem (who is?), but Cave's work is a lot of fun!

Below is a link to some excellent Cave interviews:

http://www.vintagelibrary.com/cat.php?catId=108

Sunny

One Too Many
Nathan Dodge said:
Hugh B. Cave (1910-2004) was one prolific writer! Besides his classic detective stories featuring the usually intoxicated Peter Kane (stories written during 1934-42) Cave also cranked out hundreds of horror, mystery, and detective tales. He was one of the few to live long enough to be appreciated for his work. He ain't Chandler or Bellem (who is?), but Cave's work is a lot of fun!

Below is a link to some excellent Cave interviews:

http://www.vintagelibrary.com/cat.php?catId=108

Thank you!

Sunny

One Too Many
I indulged in more Alistair MacLean last week. To wit:

The Way to Dusty Death
Fear Is The Key
The Satan Bug

Verdict:
:eek: :eusa_clap :eek:

Edward

Bartender
In this day and age, it's nice to see a thread about books has so many replies! I'll read pretty much anything, though currently I'm indulging in some rather highbrow material [/satirical tone] as I'm coming to the end of rereading the sixth Harry Potter book. I've reread tham all before a new one comes out since I got into them, which means in effect I've read 1-5 three times and this is closing to the end of the second run through the sixth. Call me sad, but I can't wait for the last one to see if my consipiracy theories are correct!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I am about to start on the sixth Potter book again, and the more I think about the HP series and how badly written and lacking in editing it is, the more I hate myself for enjoying it so much! I have to buy the last book because I have to know how it ends. However I am not looking forward to avoiding all internet contact until I've finished it, because I know if I don't, someone, somewhere will spoil something.

Feraud

Bartender
I am finishing up a book on the California Condor called -
Condor: To the Brink and Back--the Life and Times of One Giant Bird
by John Nielsen.

Next up is a book of essays on Alfred Hitchcock's films and Philosphy.

Edward

Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
I am about to start on the sixth Potter book again, and the more I think about the HP series and how badly written and lacking in editing it is, the more I hate myself for enjoying it so much! I have to buy the last book because I have to know how it ends. However I am not looking forward to avoiding all internet contact until I've finished it, because I know if I don't, someone, somewhere will spoil something.

I don't consider them to be badly written.... Tolkien they ain't, but still! The first three are fluff, but as they get longer and darker.... I don't mind long books at all - I'm a longwinded person myself! ;) Great fun reading though - no need to be apologetic about enjoying them, IMO - after all, Shakespeare was mainstream entertainment for the masses in his day. Agatha Christy would have been writing airport thrillers were she working today....

Now if you want to see really crappy writing, IMO - jump at the da Vinci Code!! I don't think I've ever seen a clumsier pop culture reference than in his namechecking of Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut.

My guilty pleasure (though i'm by no means a regular reader) is John Grisham - pulp fiction for the modern age. Great literature, certainly not, but decent yarns nonetheless. Just not something I'd read twice. I'm a very big fan of Colin Bateman's books, especially the ones featuring Dan Starkey, though they're all great. At his best when he's satirically tearing the backside out of Northern Ireland.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
I don't consider them to be badly written.... Tolkien they ain't, but still! The first three are fluff, but as they get longer and darker.... I don't mind long books at all - I'm a longwinded person myself! .

Really? :)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm halfway through the unabridged Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes and I'm also reading a book called Absurdistan by Gary Shteyngart. I've also recently finished Steven Hawking's A Brief History of Time as well as Mad Bathroom Companion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82