Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
- Les Croix de Bois/Wooden Crosses by Roland Dorgel?®s*
- Margot la Ravaudeuse by Fougeret de Monbron**

* An amazing account of WWI and life in the trenches, as written by a French veteran.

** I was unable to find an in-print translation of this work, but Amazon lists a used copy of "Amorous Adventures of Margot and the Scarlet Sofa" (1967). :eusa_clap I'd love to see its cover, as it seems they turned a classic 18th century book about a libertine into pulp fiction. ;)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
How many time shave you read it, then?! Great Scott, I'd better get started!

Hmm. Too true. I have the cigars, but I'd better stock up on some brandy.

Matthew, have you read any of Les Hiddens' books? I've read of him, but I haven't laid my hands on any of his books, nor have I seen any of his TV episodes. He is quickly jumping to the top of my must read list. This is my kinda guy! On a side, sartorial, note, I told my wife that Blunnies went with shorts just fine! She forbade me to wear mine with shorts. :( Maybe if she sees the Bush Tucker Man in his, she'll let me wear mine! lol

90s_btm_big.jpg

Oh, and BTW, I think you're thinking of Messin' with Sasquatch! What's this naked stuff?! ;)

I've now read it 4 times.

I'll have to check out Les Hiddens. I've spent a lot of tax-payer time in jungle boots, dive socks and a-little-too-short-for-polite-company UDT's. It's good kit.

"Naked Came the Sasquatch", by John Boston, is a "who-dunnit?", which becomes a "what-dunnit?", which becomes a "which-what-dunnit?". One of the bar-none funniest books I've ever read. Terry Pratchett good.

Still wading through the historical references previously listed, but now I'm having an urge to reread Ludlum's Bourne Trilogy again, for some reason. Or maybe Without Remorse...

Need to find those old Sherlock Holmes editions again, too.

For evaluation for my students, Applegate's Kill or Get Killed, practically the Bible of close-quarters self-defense.

jake431

Practically Family
Adelaidey said:
I always read two books at a time-- something substantial and a fluff book. Just started Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond.... all about the history of the world's prominent cultures, and why some became the superpowers they are today while others continue to languish in poverty...
... some days I even bore myself! lol :eusa_doh: lol
And my fluff book is Voyage of Slaves in the Flying Dutchman series by Brian Jacques, an author who was a favorite of mine during childhood whom I still follow religiously:) .

I thought Guns, Germs and Steel was pretty fascinating, myself. When you're done with your "fluff" book, give Blue Latitudes a whirl; you might like it. The author retraces Captain Cook's steps, and he goes to quite a few places in the pacific, some of which were covered in Guns, Germs and Steel. It's light, but it's also informative. Not sure if it's fluff in the way a fiction book would be, but it's a good, easy read.

-Jake

Rosie

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
i'm always reading multiple things at once too!

right now i'm reading:
- the way we never were: american families and the nostalgia trap by stephanie coontz

I've read this. If you like this, try The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth.

Right now I'm reading Sticks, Stones, Roots and Bones by Stephanie Rose Bird and Santeria, the Beliefs and Rituals of a Growing Religion in America by Miguel de la Torre

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Rosie said:
I've read this. If you like this, try The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth./QUOTE]

haven't seen that one before.... surprisingly! when i was in college one of my favorite profs was way into women's earth spirituality. i think she managed to include it in every class i took from her!

rosie, also on the topic of women's history, have you read the body project by joan jacobs brumberg? it's pretty interesting, if a little myopic in terms to class and race. kind of like a historical "reviving ophelia."

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
jake431 said:
I thought Guns, Germs and Steel was pretty fascinating, myself. When you're done with your "fluff" book, give Blue Latitudes a whirl; you might like it. The author retraces Captain Cook's steps, and he goes to quite a few places in the pacific, some of which were covered in Guns, Germs and Steel. It's light, but it's also informative. Not sure if it's fluff in the way a fiction book would be, but it's a good, easy read.

-Jake
Jake, you might also like The Apotheosis of Captain Cook: European Mythmaking in the Pacific by Gananath Obeyesekere. It is an interesting exploration of the whole theory put forth by Marshall Sahlins that Cook had been recognized by the Hawaiin Islanders as the god Lono...and killed accordingly.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I recently scored off eBay, six, yes six, books by the great mystery writer, Josephine Tey. One of the books I had read before, probably her most famous, The Daughter of Time. Just finished reading The Man in the Queue and have four more to devour.

It is a delight to read this Golden Era author, who wrote from 1929 until shortly before her death in 1952.

karol

vonwotan

Practically Family
A young woman who works in my office just gave me a copy of The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I started reading on the train home and have to say that I am enjoying the writing style. Quite promising!

Rosie

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
rosie, also on the topic of women's history, have you read the body project by joan jacobs brumberg? it's pretty interesting, if a little myopic in terms to class and race. kind of like a historical "reviving ophelia."

Haven't read this but, I put it in my amazon cart, I'll probably get it next month.

A book I REALLY want to read came the other day so, I put down Santeria by Miguel _____ and am now reading The OSHA by Julio Garcia Cortez. After that, I'll probably read The OSHA II. I'm really stuck on the religious texts as of late.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Growing Up by Russell Baker. It's the story of a boy growing up in America between the two world wars and the depression. It's an excellent book and I can't put it down.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I did very much enjoy Ex Libris. The dust jacket / Denver Post mentions Iain Pears' An Instance of the Fingerpost and Arturo-Reverte's The Club Dumas - two more that I thoroughly enjoyed. I would add to that, Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

Orgetorix said:
Ex Libris, by Ross King

Sunny

One Too Many
While waiting for my computer to power up this morning, I finished reading Ice Station Zebra for the sixth (?) time.

Before Ice Station Zebra I read P. G. Wodehouse's The Code of the Woosters again.

I'm in the midst of Ivanhoe (for maybe the eighth time) as well. I began reading it aloud at my five-day Civil War reenactment a couple weeks ago; we made it through at least seven chapters, through the first day of the tournament. That's when the incognito Disinherited Knight shows up and gives the Normans a run for their money. :eusa_clap

I'm all prepared with Dorothy Sayers's In the Teeth of the Evidence in case the scheduled severe thunderstorms for the day interfere with my journey home. Give me a book, and I'll happily wait for hours on end, anywhere. Without a book, I'll be climbing the walls in thirty minutes.

WH1

Practically Family
just started reading Christopher Buckley's, Boomsday. So far it is typical Buckley, intelligent and fun. One of my all time favorites by him is Little Green Men. If you haven't read any of his work I highly recommend him, probably the best political satirist currently writing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe