Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Rich-ly orchestrated

23933341:jpeg_preview_large.jpg

Fred Rich always made good records, most for Columbia in their hi-fi Western Electric system. Here's a coupling from 1926, when the band was at the Hotel Astor: Do-Do-Do and Clap Yo' Hands, both from Oh Kay!, the late Gershwin Bros. success. Fred undoubtedly has the piano spots in the first number, perhaps with help from a second box-man.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Oh doggone it, not 1932 again.

e81770dl30e.jpg

Pianist Joel Shaw, owner of the least impressive pompadour in show business, led his boss Gene Kardos' orchestra that year for that two-bit outfit, Crown Records. They put out more jazz by volume than any other White artists in that Year of the Shellac Famine.

Keepin' Out of Mischief Now, March
Call of the Freaks, March
Basin Street Blues, July
That's A Plenty, July

rue

Spending a quiet evening and having a cocktail or two with Annette Hanshaw.

'The Song Is Ended'
[video=youtube;Yro1SAbHfQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yro1SAbHfQk[/video]

'Forgetting You'

[video=youtube;oIzYbV8ZhvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIzYbV8ZhvI[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
OK, back to 1931

(A few Dime Store Delights thru the courtesy of YouTuber Lou, aka Bigband78)

It Looks Like Susie - Cab Calloway & Orch., July. Another one of those songs full of women's names. Listen for Ed Swayze's high-note trumpet work - or not, you'll hear it anyway.

All of Me - Frank & Milt Britton Orch, December. The Brittons were vaudevillians who used to break instruments over people's heads for yuks, but this cut is probably the same 12 or 15 guys who made most bargain counter sessions. One is Scrappy Lambert, another very probably Tommy Dorsey (who broke things over people's heads too - but he meant it).

Can't You See? - Phil Spitalny & (Almost All Male) Orch., October. Helen Rowland sings what we musicians would call "The Opthalmologist's Song," if any of us ever called it on a bandstand, or could pronounce "op-pffthh-a-ma-whatchamacallit."

Where the Blue of the Night (Meets the Gold of the Day) - Glenn Cross & Orch., October. Actually Lou Gold's band, who could have used this as a theme if Crosby hadn't been so identified with it. Nice full-bottomed waltz performance, with singer Cross imitating Bing only slightly. He later had a cuppa with George Hall's band.

1931essex041906.jpg

'31 Essex Super-Six sedan, in about the same shape as most of these 78s: a little rough on the surface but still good for the occasional spin.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe