Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
I saw them three times. Twice in the mid-70s, and once in 1980. And I was lucky enough to have Max Webster open up for them two of those times. I also have a hilarious story regarding the first time I saw them, which affected my opinion of them for many years.

After that, I kind of soured on being excited about them and moved on to punk, then blues, then started circling back around. I even stopped following FZ for a few years. But I always told people the same thing I say about Springsteen: "I don't care if you like them or not, if you find yourself with a ticket in your hand, GO SEE THEM. You will not be disappointed."

Would love to hear the story sometime.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
If somebody told me in the 80’s or 90’s that someday soon I’d be a jazzhead, I’d tell them they’re crazy. It sure did happen though. Like you guys, I really listen to, and enjoy, all different kinds of music. My nephew once told me (after he apparently witnessed it) “you’re the only guy that drives through town BLASTING Slayer, and an hour later drives through blasting Frank Sinatra. The only genre that really seldom does it for me is country. I just can’t bare it. There are exceptions to that to. Have a great day y’all! Hopefully I’ll make tome to spin a few later!

Yep, nice to have an open mind about music. I definitely agree with you on new ‘Country’, but I do enjoy some old Country now and then. The genre I can’t do his Hip Hop or Rap.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
If somebody told me in the 80’s or 90’s that someday soon I’d be a jazzhead, I’d tell them they’re crazy. It sure did happen though. Like you guys, I really listen to, and enjoy, all different kinds of music. My nephew once told me (after he apparently witnessed it) “you’re the only guy that drives through town BLASTING Slayer, and an hour later drives through blasting Frank Sinatra. The only genre that really seldom does it for me is country. I just can’t bare it. There are exceptions to that to. Have a great day y’all! Hopefully I’ll make time to spin a few later!

Also, speaking of Country, and I would have never known this since I don't follow it if I wouldn't have seen him play with Fogerty, but Brad Paisley is an incredible guitarist. Not sure about his other stuff, but he put out an album called 'Play - the Guitar Album' that has some great instrumentals on it. Check it out if you haven't, if you like good guitar you'll like it:

Would love to hear the story sometime.

The first time I saw them, they were an opening act, and pretty much did the show on All the World's a Stage. So the lights go dark, the stage lights up, the announcer intones, "Please welcome, from Canada, Mercury Recording artists, RUSH!"

Well, Alex and Geddy come running out, Neil behind the kit. The light show starts, they break into Bastille Day. Lifeson and Lee, running around the stage, shaking their hair at the audience. Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, leaning his way and that, shaking their hair, running back and forth...

Then everything stops dead. They'd screwed something up, I know not what, and stopped playing. The stage goes dark. A few minutes later...

The stage lights up, the announcer intones, "Please welcome, from Canada, Mercury Recording artists, RUSH!"

Alex and Geddy come running out, Neil behind the kit. The light show starts, they break into Bastille Day. Lifeson and Lee, running around the stage, shaking their hair at the audience. Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, leaning his way and that, shaking their hair, running back and forth...

They did the exact same thing. Every move, every hair shake, every run from one side of the stage to the other. It was a laugh riot, and I wrote them off as a corporate band for quite some time after that. It's obvious from their later years that wasn't true, but they were heavily managed and controlled during their introduction to the rock world.

And Max Webster was awesome.

Rumad

One Too Many
Yep, nice to have an open mind about music. I definitely agree with you on new ‘Country’, but I do enjoy some old Country now and then. The genre I can’t do his Hip Hop or Rap.
Agreed completely. Not that rap was ever mind expanding but it definitely went totally to garbage in the late 90’s. And it stayed there. There is some before that worth listening to, but that may also be nostalgia for me. Once it circled the drain though, it didn’t come back. The Man on Black? Hell yeah bruh.

Rumad

One Too Many
The first time I saw them, they were an opening act, and pretty much did the show on All the World's a Stage. So the lights go dark, the stage lights up, the announcer intones, "Please welcome, from Canada, Mercury Recording artists, RUSH!"

Well, Alex and Geddy come running out, Neil behind the kit. The light show starts, they break into Bastille Day. Lifeson and Lee, running around the stage, shaking their hair at the audience. Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, leaning his way and that, shaking their hair, running back and forth...

Then everything stops dead. They'd screwed something up, I know not what, and stopped playing. The stage goes dark. A few minutes later...

The stage lights up, the announcer intones, "Please welcome, from Canada, Mercury Recording artists, RUSH!"

Alex and Geddy come running out, Neil behind the kit. The light show starts, they break into Bastille Day. Lifeson and Lee, running around the stage, shaking their hair at the audience. Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, leaning his way and that, shaking their hair, running back and forth...

They did the exact same thing. Every move, every hair shake, every run from one side of the stage to the other. It was a laugh riot, and I wrote them off as a corporate band for quite some time after that. It's obvious from their later years that wasn't true, but they were heavily managed and controlled during their introduction to the rock world.

ha! DO OVER!

Rumad

One Too Many
Found time early. Here’s the Bolshoi, ‘friends’. Pretty obscure British 80’s alternative kinda. I always like it.
E24EE829-BF4A-4D51-AD48-881841264F11.jpeg

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab

That is funny.

Luckily they outgrew that and became the extremely talented band we know and love.

I could see an evolution in their performances where they started loosening up and didn’t take themselves too seriously.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld