Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Rose of the Rio Grande - Glen Gray & Casa Loma Orch., 1936. The CLO had that way of making any tune above mid-tempo have that crack-train feel. But the Denver & Rio Grande was in receivership just then and didn't have any crack trains. So use your imagination on that Main Line Thru the Rockies.

Low Gravy - Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers, 1930. No idea what makes gravy low (or high) - golden era cooks enlighten plz. Hot side tho, notable for Albert Nicholas' hyper-vibrato clarinet which seems to want to skitter up your auditory canals and burrow into your brain.

I've Found What I Wanted in You - Fletcher Henderson & Orch., 1931. Ben Selvin must have been conducting on this Columbia date - everybody's on his best behavior. The singer is Lois Deppe, an ex-bandleader from Pittsburgh, then knocking around New York.

Last edited:

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
The 1960’s Miss Marple movie theme by Ron Goodwin. With a harpsichord, violin, and electric guitar, it’s the grooviest movie theme I’ve ever heard. You just can’t sit still listening to it. :dance:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Leo Reisman! everybody made drawings of him back then!!! He was so flamboyant!:D

here is another one of Mr Reisman!
symphony-hall-program-cover.jpg

love . love this song, I just love it! Ben gordon vocals ( should I bother with vocals? like anybody knows him or Leo or cares for that matter lol)

[video=youtube;nR700WGCoSU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR700WGCoSU[/video]

Dan'l

Practically Family
Dan'l, is the William Shedd in your signature William G. T. Shedd?

Yessir it is, unless I am greatly mistaken. I saw the quote elsewhere and liked it so much I did a search and W.G.T. Shedd is what I kept coming up with. However, there are others with the name William Shedd that I found while looking.

Dan'l

LizzieMaine

Bartender
love . love this song, I just love it! Ben gordon vocals ( should I bother with vocals? like anybody knows him or Leo or cares for that matter lol)

Well, I think vocals are an essential part of the record -- even though they too often get brushed off on the record label as "With Vocal Refrain." When I was very small I'd see that on my grandparents' record labels and wonder why Mr. Refrain sometimes sounded like an entirely different person from record to record.

rue

^ I agree. I learn a lot about music by just reading this thread.

Having breakfast with Jack Buchanan this morning.

'From One Minute to Another' (with Ethel Stewart)

[video=youtube;JxSPHA2CQGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxSPHA2CQGE[/video]

'Everything Stops for Tea'

[video=youtube;MGQASun9d8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQASun9d8E[/video]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Leo Reisman! everybody made drawings of him back then!!! He was so flamboyant!:D
George Simon said he looked (and acted) like Ben Casey. What do you think?
vince.jpg
5573861801_ec81887b84.jpg

Ben Casey probably didn't wave his arms like mad in the operating room.

Ben gordon vocals ( should I bother with vocals? like anybody knows him or Leo or cares for that matter lol)
Hadley don't play that! How is anybody going to discover anything you love if you're all meh about it?

No, I don't know who Ben Gordon was. Doesn't matter. Give us your impressions of these old nobodies and maybe someone will catch the bug. That's what I try to do.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Well, I think vocals are an essential part of the record -- even though they too often get brushed off on the record label as "With Vocal Refrain." When I was very small I'd see that on my grandparents' record labels and wonder why Mr. Refrain sometimes sounded like an entirely different person from record to record.
I wondered, "How come they sing it? They're supposed to refrain!" It was one of a long series of hints that adults were crazy.

Helge Lindberg Orkester -- Orange Blossom Time (Swedish) (1930)
(vocal by Hilmer Borgeling)

[video=youtube;8SnUj9gUDH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SnUj9gUDH0[/video]

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
George Simon said he looked (and acted) like Ben Casey. What do you think?
vince.jpg
5573861801_ec81887b84.jpg

Ben Casey probably didn't wave his arms like mad in the operating room.

Hadley don't play that! How is anybody going to discover anything you love if you're all meh about it?

No, I don't know who Ben Gordon was. Doesn't matter. Give us your impressions of these old nobodies and maybe someone will catch the bug. That's what I try to do.

I agree Fletch! Leo Reisman has a strong resemblance with Ben Casey!

You are right I shouldn't be meh about my favorite songs.

(but, can I be meh about country music though ?:eek: ... just joking!:D)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Yessir it is, unless I am greatly mistaken. I saw the quote elsewhere and liked it so much I did a search and W.G.T. Shedd is what I kept coming up with. However, there are others with the name William Shedd that I found while looking.

Dan'l

Way off topic, Dan'l, but the W.G.T. Shedd with which I am familiar was a Presbyterian preacher, writer, and, I believe, a seminary-level teacher, none of which I am. This belongs on the Golden Era Pulpiteers thread I would guess...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Um, well.. me! Last Friday morning I was shopping at Nordstrom in Palo Alto, and stopped over at the grand piano by the escalators for a spell to sing along to the jazz pianist that was playing there. I sang; The Way You look Tonight, Night and Day, The Look of Love, Somewhere over the Rainbow, and a current favourite tune of mine, How Deep is the Ocean. Many shoppers and salespeople too come over to the area by the piano to hear me sing and then thank me! What fun. The jazz pianist asked if I had a CD, when I told him I didn't, he said I should record one!

Hm, maybe I should talk to the folks at Nordstrom about letting me sing with the pianist there on a regular (weekly?) basis, just for the performance practicing...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe