Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

D

Deleted member 12480

LizzieMaine said:
That's Betty Bonney, who replaced Doris Day as Les Brown's gal singer in 1941, just in time to make that record. I'm not sure about her ancestry, but I can tell you she was very young -- probably still a teenager -- when she made the record. And yes, once it gets in there, it's stuck in your head for days!

ah, thankyou very much. its for some reason, just brilliant. xxxx

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden, followed by "7/4 Shoreline" by Broken Social Scene, and finally "Up Jumped the Devil" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
A bit of 1960s ... i love the 20s and the 30s ... but for a change...;)

conniefrancis.jpg

"Pretty Little Baby" Connie Francis, early 60s

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3O2PeGx5Uk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3O2PeGx5Uk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

RTE Concert Orchestra -- Song D'Automne

While popular legend ascribes Nearer My God To Thee as the tune played by the Titanic's band as she went down, the actual song played by Wallace Hartley and his ill-fated fellow musicians was Song D'Automne, written in 1908 by Archibald Joyce.

Perhaps because of its association with the Titanic tragedy, Song D'Automne does have a certain haunting beauty that brings a tear to my eye whenever I hear it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to kill time before the Lobster Festival Parade by --

Starting off in 1931 with Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra and the classic "When You're Smiling." Never was Satchmo's infatuation with Guy Lombardo's sax section more in evidence.

Next, it's 1929 with Al Jolson bellowing out "I'm In Seventh Heaven!" Yeah, and I bet the folks in Sixth are banging on the ceiling for you to keep quiet.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for the iron to heat up by --

Starting off in 1930 with vaudeville's greatest sister act, Vivian and Rosetta Duncan and "It Must Be An Old Spanish Custom." "Aren'cha gonna dance?" "I will if you'll get offa my foot!"

Next, it's 1932 and a twelve-inch Brunswick of "Gems From George White's Scandals," condensing the entire score of the show down into nine minutes. The Boswell Sisters, The Mills Brothers, Bing Crosby, Morton Downey, and Victor Young's Orchestra all get into the act. If it was possible to boil the entire early thirties sound down to one record, it would be this one.

Lounge Music

From the vaults of RCA/Victor originally released in 1960 in "Living Stereo" two from Morton Gould and His Orchestra "Blues in the Night" and "Jungle Drums" with really lush orchestrations of some wonderful tunes.

In creating some recent CD releases of these albums the original recording and play back machines were brought out of mothballs restored and reworked. Then they could bring a very faithful sound to these original tapes which I believe are actually 3 channel Left / Center / Right. Living Stereo are noted as a "Stereo Orthophonic High Fidelity Recording" and carry the "His Master's Voice" logo of the dog and phonograph.

The Blues on is also noted as a 20 bit HDCD.

Jungle Drums is an album (CD) that my parents would have loved with lots of exotic themes from Spanish / Latin works such as Andulucia and Malaguena plus other influences like The Hawaiin War Chant and even Ellington's Caravan. It's exotic, hot and dreamy music that always makes me want to use these to score an adventure film!

Some time ago when there was a resurgence of vintage lounge music these were highly rated and as cd's have grown on me since their release. Not every ones cup of tea but great stuff to give a Lounge style cocktail hour on the veranda.

Don Clark and his Orchestra -- I've Got The Girl (1926)

One of the earliest known recordings of Bing Crosby though he's a bit lost in the vocal trio.

And by the First Lady of Country Music...

Tammy Wynette -- He Loves Me All The Way (1970)

What I like about this composition (and many other country songs) are the echoes of 1920s/30s Tin Pan Alley stylings in the tune which is also the reason why country music is the only modern contemporary music that I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld