Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Rundquist

A-List Customer
DigThatBeat said:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tCZPPGlVS6s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tCZPPGlVS6s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

There should be a songs about coffee thread.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to kill time before going back to work by --

Now playing, it's Roy Fox and his Orchestra in 1936 with Peggy Dell crooning "Lonely Lane." One of the things I most enjoy about British dance band records is that they often feature vocalists who wouldn't get the time of day from a stateside outfit. Miss Dell croons in a very low contralto that comes very close to sounding like Sam Browne in too-tight pants.

Next up, ahead to 1937 with the Hudson-DeLange Orchestra and a swingy arrangement of "Wake Up And Live" with the very swingy Ruth Gaylor taking the vocal. Poor Ruth, who spent her whole life begging typesetters to not add a "d" to her last name.

Chas

One Too Many
Rundquist said:
There should be a songs about coffee thread.

I love that Glenn Glenn record. One of my favorites.

I have done whole two hour radio shows on songs about food, I also do one on drugs and alcohol. I think that I'll repeat the "all food" show, it was fun to do.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Ted Fio Rito and his Orchestra "Were you Foolin" 1934

[YOUTUBE] <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6acyI2_iei0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6acyI2_iei0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

TedFioritoBand.jpg

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
At the Jazz Band Ball - Bix Beiderbecke

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZxP0cf1bpTM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZxP0cf1bpTM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I just got assigned to sing Mack the Knife at the Bix Beiderbecke Festival, so I'm listening to the various versions to figure out whether I want to sing it in the finger-snappin' Darin-Sinatra style in English, or the reedy, rrrrrrr-trilling Bertolt Brecht style in German.

I am not fluent in German, but I know the pronunciations and enough of the meanings to put it over and even translate a few lines - such as the English-only verse about the tugboat and the cement bag. Auf der Themse dämpft ein Schlepper / Und ein Zementtasche fällt...

Ben Selvin and his Orchestra -- Poor Kid (1931)

Lyrics:
She's a lonely little no one
Because she trusted and believed in someone
That's all the wrong she did
Poor kid, poor kid

Though the tie that binds is broken
The name of who's to blame remains unspoken
In spite of all he did
Poor kid, poor kid

In other arms she tries to forget his fond embrace
And every night she dances with someone else in his place

It's a game of just pretending
Because the wrong without a hope of mending
Within her heart she did
Poor kid, poor kid

From the Netherlands:

The Ramblers -- I Wish That I Were Twins (1937)
(featuring Coleman Hawkins)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
I just got assigned to sing Mack the Knife at the Bix Beiderbecke Festival, so I'm listening to the various versions to figure out whether I want to sing it in the finger-snappin' Darin-Sinatra style in English, or the reedy, rrrrrrr-trilling Bertolt Brecht style in German.

I am not fluent in German, but I know the pronunciations and enough of the meanings to put it over and even translate a few lines - such as the English-only verse about the tugboat and the cement bag. Auf der Themse dämpft ein Schlepper / Und ein Zementtasche fällt...

I have found it quite effective to start out in German, in the manner of the traditional Moriatetensaenger (a al Ernest Busch or Kurt Gerron. I prefer the Gerron style as it has more , well, testicular OMPH!) for a verse or so and then , after the audience is sitting in puzzled silence swing it in the Darrin manner. Be rsure to use your THICKEST Berlinisch Dialekt. Rrrrrroll those Rrrrr's like a canary trilling!

"Forgetting" the english lyrics and reverting to German mid-way through the song is pretty effective, too. I learned this the hard way. Twenty years ago I was alternating as Moritatsaenger and Macheath in 2 productions, one in German and the other in English. I was the only principal fool enough to play in both productions, and one matinee performance of the English production I "went up" and slipped into German. It worked, though.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
After a VERY stressful two weeks, I am finally relaxing, with the aid of Mr. Jack Hylton and his excellent orchestra, in the wafty, dizzy year of 1932...

Masquerade

Twilight soon will fade,
I'll meet you at the masquerade,
While our hearts are swinging,
To violins singing till dawn!

Lady dressed in jade,
Hold me tight at the masquerade!
If the music halts dear,
Then my heart will waltz dear, right on!

Twelve o'clock is chiming on the clock up above!
Now if you'll unmask your heart I'll love you, love you!

Midnight shadows play,
No-one's left at the masquerade,
Everything is through dear,
But my love for you, dear,
Lives on!

Also enjoying...

Ray Noble and His Mayfair Dance Orchestra - "It's All Forgotten Now" (Voc. Al Bowlly)...

It's all forgotten now,
The trouble and the pain,
Forgotten every word I said,
Forgotten every care you shed,
We're still in love!

It's all forgiven now,
We're back in lover's lane,
And though we've wandered from our way,
The corner's turned and we can say,
We're still in love!

For you and I and everybody,
Must learn to give and take,
We'll find, like everybody,
It's worth it, for happiness's sake!

It's all forgotten now,
We're happy once again,
Our troubles gone beyond recall,
And making up is best of all!
We're still in love!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to rinse the sheets by --

Now playing, it's Paul Whiteman's Swing Wing in 1939 with their version of the all-pervasive novelty hit of the year, "Three Little Fishes." Sounds like they swiped Shep Fields' soda straw there for a bit of sound effects.

Next, following a transcribed PSA about "Homes For Defense," and a commercial for Ironized Yeast, it's Libby Holman in 1931 moaning and wailing her demand to "Find Me A Primitive Man." Yeah, you think so now, but wait'll you have to clean his fur out of the bathtub drain.

LizzieMaine said:
.it's Libby Holman in 1931 moaning and wailing her demand to "Find Me A Primitive Man." Yeah, you think so now, but wait'll you have to clean his fur out of the bathtub drain.

I don't have the lyrics to the song handy but there's a great line in there about how she doesn't want a man who "belongs to a Club but one that has a club that belongs to him." lol

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Italian Renaissance-era lute music, actually. Lorenzino del Liuto, by a certain Marco Pesci. You could say that I have an interest in classical music from this period onward until the 20th century. I like to consider my taste in music to be versatile, but there's little beyond the 1960s that appeals to me when it comes to popular music of the time. Anything beyond the 1960s that I like is mainly jazz (including some of the 1970s funk variants), film scores/movie soundtracks (John Williams, Ennio Morricone, James Horner, etc), and a select few pieces that I may find inspiring or entertaining. Replace 1960s here with 1980s (as most things beyond that), and this is basically how I feel when it comes to movies.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Panama-born pianist and bandleader Luis Russell (1902-1963) led one of the hottest bands in Harlem during the early 30s and, before being somewhat ‘sidelined’ as Louis Armstrong’s backing group in the late 30s, his critically acclaimed lineup of star soloists and great rhythm section delivered a string of jazz classics.

"Goin' to Town" 1931>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbbcpaW8V4Y <<< how HOT is that!:D

l_b1da8ba303d1eb9f088b9aeb05f85e67.jpg

Pompidou

One Too Many
A 15 second verse of a theme song I'm writing for a fictitious band a friend of mine came up with, which for what it's worth is my imagining of the best of 70s music. I like the slap bass, the wah effect guitars, and the crazy drumbeats, and nothing beats a good leslie hammond organ. It's a look at 70s music with rose colored glasses called Funkin' A. The later tracks in the album will be B through whatever. All I've got is one verse so far. Still need a chorus and whatnot. The music of the 70s and 80s always interested me because it was the dawn of modern electronic music back when it was new and cool to experiment. I like synths and I'm interested in the history of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld