Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you called?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I have never really been called any names in a threatening way. People just say "you look like Elvis" or "you look like ____(insert famous old name here)"
Which I take as a compliment whether it was meant that way or not.

Once I was confronted with the 'Elvis' thing, and I said "Thanks!"
To which he replied with a giggle, "It wasn't a compliment". To which I said, "Well you are comparing me to a multimillionaire, who could sing, act, and date any woman he wanted...how is that NOT a compliment?" To which he said nothing!

I don't really think we need a label. But if I had to have one, I like the earlier suggestion of "Retrosexual"

Has a nice ring to it.

December

One of the Regulars
Chad Sanborn said:
Once I was confronted with the 'Elvis' thing, and I said "Thanks!"
To which he replied with a giggle, "It wasn't a compliment". To which I said, "Well you are comparing me to a multimillionaire, who could sing, act, and date any woman he wanted...how is that NOT a compliment?" To which he said nothing!

This is just brilliant!!

How would that ever be an insult?

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Australian girls have beautiful smile

I like Australian. It is a great mix between the British sophistication and the American generosity.

One of my best bodies is from Canberra (what a great area ). As I have been fortunate enough to live in the four corners of the planet, I encountered quite a few of these nice fellows. These encounters often lead to great laughs, friendships and down to earth good time.

Thinking that so many of them traveled half way across the planet to give their life to free Europe during WWII is really admirable.

What a lesson considering a certain arrogance that characterizes some European countries…

So if any of you from Down under feels like shooting the breeze, feel free to drop me a mail...:)

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Boy, so is mine Scottyrocks. :eek:
I first read it out of my iphone, and the spelling caught my eye...but reading it again, I might need a pair of glasses...:eusa_doh:

Talbot

One Too Many
Chad Sanborn said:
I don't really think we need a label. But if I had to have one, I like the earlier suggestion of "Retrosexual"

Has a nice ring to it.

A while back I was reading an article in the paper where the authour (a car guy) proclaimed himself to be a petrosexual. At a lunch not long after, doing my best to be witty and erudite, when asked my interests, said 'I'm a petrosexual!'

Stopped conversation.

Then nervous laughter.

They thought it was something to do with pets:eek:

Retro, er, sexual?

Pass.

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Talbot said:
A while back I was reading an article in the paper where the authour (a car guy) proclaimed himself to be a petrosexual. At a lunch not long after, doing my best to be witty and erudite, when asked my interests, said 'I'm a petrosexual!'

Stopped conversation.

Then nervous laughter.

They thought it was something to do with pets:eek:

Retro, er, sexual?

Pass.

Talbot,

You have a great sense of humor. I love people who can laugh at themselves...

Merci pour le sourire...

JL. P.

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
Nostalgist (?)

HarpPlayer,

That would be sufficient if you only consider the semantic aspect of "what are you called".

But looking at this site, we have much more than that. You also need to consider facet related to the communication, to the semiotics, the pragmatics...:eusa_doh: too late for that tonight, but I look forward for a follow up.

Thank you for waking my neuron...;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I have been getting snowwhite (but in Danish) from friends and strangers quite a bit over the past year or so.. don't know where they see it though.

I get that too, I reckon it's the pale skin, dark hair, red lips combo?

"Oh, how I wish that I had a daughter that had skin white as snow, lips red as blood, and hair black as ebony"

Story

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
My friends call me retrosexual. I think it's hilarious and I love the term.

that-word-inigo-montoya-word-think-means-princess-bride-mand-demotivational-poster-1260739585.jpg

;)

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2010/...paign=Feed:+uproxx/withleather+(With+Leather)

I decided to talk about manliness. I discuss the lame stereotypes of manliness that have taken hold in our culture, but then switch gears and talk about some of the signs that indicate a “Menaissance” is taking place in which men are holding themselves to a higher standard.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
My voice teacher calls me "Clark" and even introduced me to someone as Clark Gable.

Edward

Bartender
DerMann said:
One of my friends calls me 'twenties kid' in jest.

Most of the time I tell people I'm an Anglophile (true) and that dressing well comes with the title. So Anglophile is what a lot of people call me these days.

Jinkies, when were you last in England??? :eek:

rippy444

Familiar Face
rippy444 said:
My father named me Ralph after a young brother that died in infancy. So as not to have a tough growing up with such a sir name, he nick named me RIP. That stands for my the initals of my whole name. The name RIP as followed me for 66 years. The only other name besides Ralph and RIP used was while I was in the service in 1966. It was just Perrino.You know how that goes. Once I called a girl friend in college at her dorm. She was not home so I said please tell Marylin that Rip Perrino called. I picked her up that evening and the entry to the dorm was full of other girls. I asked, what's going on. She said the message board said Marylin "Ripperrino" called. They just wanted to see what a guy named Ripperrino looked like up close. I was embarrased but she was happy. It was a fun thing. Fun with names.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:
If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then

Cigarband

A-List Customer
This Semester at North Eastern Western and Southern University (Home of the Fighting Nomads), The Department of Retrophilesophy will be offering the course "Atavism As A Lifestyle." The lecturer will be the noted Cigar Band, Doctor of Vintigification and Practicing Nostalgist.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe