Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

fmw

One Too Many
Did that nice horsehair band come with it? If so, then Stetson is really upgrading things.

One Too Many
Nice Combo ¡¡¡¡

Two new things on the Western front for me. The first is that I got an email from Mike Moore telling me my custom Western is done. I put a check in the mail to him today so I should be seeing it in the near future. The second is a very nice Serratelli Western I bought on Ebay for about a song and a half. Here's a shot of it with my black cherry Dan Post boots

serratelli2.jpg
Nice combo, white hat, boots and a ranch ¡¡¡¡ wonderful ¡¡¡¡¡¡
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
Before and after (blurry) pictures of the Stetson. I modified the crown and the brim. It was my first time doing this.

You can't see it, but the original crease line is visible in the back, toward the top of the crown.

DSCN3092.jpg

DSCN3117.jpg

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
It fits the definition, I guess. I like the horsehair a lot. Kokopelli's are twin tassel models. I thought these were a little more conservative with just a single tassel. Glad you like them. I bought a few dozen Western hat bands to sell on Ebay. I picked these out for the two hats pictured and grabbed an embossed leather one for my Stetson Sturgis. If they don't sell, I'll have a bunch of them. ;)

DRB

One Too Many
fmw: I really like that Sturgis, both colors. The low crown with wide brim looks great. Also, your idea of the horsehair....you have a great sense of style. Congratulations..Dennis

frussell

One Too Many
I've got to dig out my horsehair hat band collection sometime. I've had dozens of them, but I've moved away from using most hat bands on my westerns now, so they are just gathering dust, along with several tooled leather bands. I'm tired of having to stitch them on so they don't get lost in the wilds somewhere, like some of my favorite hat bands over the years. Looking good, fmw. Frank

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks, guys. Dennis, the Sturgis was my favorite hat in terms of style and design until I got the Buckaroo custom. in fact, it was the basis for the design of the custom. I think Stetson needs to add it to their Western line in fur felt and various colors. Of course, I would think that because I like the look of the Sturgis so much. If I lived in Dallas, I would wear my big Western hats more often. Since I'm not even a Westerner any longer, the Sturgis fits in very nicely here with the smaller brim and C crown bash. I wore my Sturgis to the model flying field yesterday. Two of the members there asked where they could get one.

Frank, I understand. I don't own horses any longer and there is no wilderness around here. Maybe you could keep those bands in place with a drop of hot melt glue.

fmw

One Too Many
Well. I see a logo on the grip that matches the logo in your avatar. I can't help but ask about the connection. I also can't help but ask why you keep it cocked and locked without a magazine in it. ;)

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
Well. I see a logo on the grip that matches the logo in your avatar. I can't help but ask about the connection. I also can't help but ask why you keep it cocked and locked without a magazine in it. ;)

LOL.. I'm a frequent visitor of the SW and somewhat of a archeology buff. I started visiting the cliff dwellings and such back in the 70's. I've seen kokopelli's all across the SW and in the most formidable places. I connect to it somehow.. That's Babs in the picture and she is loaded. I just unholstered her for the teaser pic.. Cheers.. Ron

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I have been reading several of the threads, and decided to post on this one, since my first love has always been Western Cowboy hats.

You fellows, have posted a lot of fine hats on this thread. I have always worn Cowboy hats, from the time I was a little kid. I have an older Stetson OR comming, that I purchased on ebay. I plan to reshape it into a Fedora style, but generally I wear the bigger hats, like my Resistol 4X Beaver with a 4 inch brim and 5 inch plus crown. However, I currently have another off brand with a 4.5 inch brim, that is one of my favorites, and has held up well, to a lot of rain, etc. as I hunt with it.

And I have a water buffalo leather Aussi hat that sees a lot of use. It's tough as nails, and looks good for casual wear, but not the best to keep on your head, in the wind.

I can't post pictures right now, but maybe later. My dialup connection is not the greatest, and it seems that I find fustrating when attempting pictures.

At any rate, I love this website, and I am learning a lot, just reading the older threads, even though I have worn hats all of my life.

warbird

One Too Many
A little bit of the western collection. No western collection is full without the boots and i am as crazy about boots as I am hats. Here are a few of my western hats anyway.

Left bookcase: Top to bottom , left to right
Custom made western beaver, Stetson Gun Club
Sunbody Palm, Stetson Straw
Adam OR style, Stetson Boss of the Plains
Dan Post oil tanned brown, Nocona Deerhide Red Brown, Lucchese Black Cherry
Dan Post Python, Mexican Custom made All Ostrich, Tony Lama black calf

On floor: Breaver Brand, Stetson OR

Right bookcase:
Resistol 5x old western with Pencil roll done by Buckaroo Hatters, Resistol Rancher
Stetson 5x Black, Akubra Snowy River with horsehair band
Resistol Palm, Stetson 7x
Tony Lama Lizard Black, Lucchese black calf, Tony Lama Brown Lizard
Tony Lama brown cowhide, very old Justin Ostrich with full quill wingtip, Tony Lama chocolate crocodile

IMG_4111-1.jpg

One of my favorite hats is the one I am wearing, a custom made hat, oh about 15 years ago. Made in Nashville by a gentleman who has since passed. It earned its somewhat dirty appearance and the top of the brim has spots on it where the fur is flat from AK and AR cartridges landing on it. Yes it is my favorite gun hat, not just for cowboy action, but for running hard in combat regalia. I have some pics of me in that hat with a chest rig full of mags and a Glock strapped to my leg, HA!

The boots are old Nocona white label gray full quill Ostrich.
IMG_4094.jpg

IMG_4108.jpg

Last edited:

vintage68

Practically Family
I'm glad we can all enable each other's addictions on the Fedora Lounge:) And here I was starting to feel guilty for contemplating my fourth western hat, now I can order another round without shame:) Thanks Fedora Lounge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld