Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Hard to say but does show about the expected aging.

I think that it's original to the hat. Here's another example:

LeftProfile.jpg

I believe the "New Pecos" in this vintage catalogue is also sporting a similar pin:

cat_page_2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Tenessee,
Had an idea for you concerning your first "Western" hat. Are you familiar with Miller Hats in Houston, Texas ? Here's a link to a Stetson they carry which has a 6" crown, and a 4" brim w/a 2 cord band. It's a current 4xxxx blended fur Stetson BUT, YOU can steam it as YOU want ( or have someone at a western wear shop that does hat shaping, and most do) ALL for UNDER $200.00 ! ($185.00 hat / $12.50 shpg = $197.50 TOTAL :) ) They only come in Black or Silverbellly, the usual good guy/bad guy idea :). THEN if you decide to go custom your not out a lot of money, and STILL have a decent hat. They've been in business in Texas for almost 100 years ( started as a Wormser hat store in the early 1900's and has been in the same family since) and I've been in the Houston store whenever I get down to Houston. Here's the link

http://www.millerhats.com/stetoldwest_index/index.html
The hat you want to look at is the Stetson 444 Reno . take a look.:)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the suggestion! The only problem here is that I am set on an earth tone hat.

My plan is to order a custom hat in the lowest offered grade of fur (rabbit or the lowest percent beaver offered). I know what I like now, and that's a huge relief :). In the future, if this custom experience goes well, a nicer hat may come my way.

I am currently waiting for a reply from Buckaroo Hatters, as the website doesn't give you much in the way of information regarding his product (meaning I can't really fill out an request for a price quote) and options. In the email I described what kind of info I was looking for (fur grades, styles, accessories, etc...), and hopefully there will be a BH hat for me in the future.

At any rate, my main goal is to obtain a custom Western style hat, ridding me of my custom hat virginity lol. Despite this, I really appreciate all the effort you've put in to helping me out :). Thanks!

Neophyte

Hey Neo, dont give up on Mike. I do know he is out on his 'real' job in meetings till maybe Thursday night. Not sure is he will have access to his e-mail.
But if he does see your e-mail before then he will be sure to answer you.

I haven't given up on Major Moore :). In fact, I only sent out the email this morning. Besides, I probably won't have the funds to go custom until early next year (my birthday is nearly a month after Christmas Day, lucky me lol!).

Thank you for the information, though. At least I know why if he doesn't reply in the next few days :).

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the suggestion! The only problem here is that I am set on an earth tone hat.

My plan is to order a custom hat in the lowest offered grade of fur (rabbit or the lowest percent beaver offered). I know what I like now, and that's a huge relief :). In the future, if this custom experience goes well, a nicer hat may come my way.

I am currently waiting for a reply from Buckaroo Hatters, as the website doesn't give you much in the way of information regarding his product (meaning I can't really fill out an request for a price quote) and options. In the email I described what kind of info I was looking for (fur grades, styles, accessories, etc...), and hopefully there will be a BH hat for me in the future.

At any rate, my main goal is to obtain a custom Western style hat, ridding me of my custom hat virginity lol. Despite this, I really appreciate all the effort you've put in to helping me out :). Thanks!

Sounds like a plan ! :) Just remember, wear the thing ALL the time and it will take on YOUR look as your current Akubra is starting to do ! I HATE brand new "perfect" hats that look like they just came out of the box. They just don't have any LIFE to 'em ! I wore the Stetson as my only hat for almost 10 years and my older Bushman for almost 25 years as my only hat !! A good one just gets BETTER with age !! I'm a wearing 'collector" with a small collection. Looking forward to seeing what you get :)

msm007

One of the Regulars
Sounds like a plan ! :) Just remember, wear the thing ALL the time and it will take on YOUR look as your current Akubra is starting to do ! I HATE brand new "perfect" hats that look like they just came out of the box. They just don't have any LIFE to 'em ! I wore the Stetson as my only hat for almost 10 years and my older Bushman for almost 25 years as my only hat !! A good one just gets BETTER with age !! I'm a wearing 'collector" with a small collection. Looking forward to seeing what you get :)
Sound advice!

Neophyte

So the Major gave me a ton of information. I was quite impressed with the selection of colors and prices. I believe a Buckaroo Hat is somewhere in my future.
Incidentally I have been scouring the net in search of pictures and information on the Boss of the Plains style. The variety is quite mind-boggling, as some models seem to be low, open crown hats, while others have HUGE crowns, I suppose for the purpose of shaping it in your own way. The most solid information I could come up with for a traditional BotP was a 4''+ open crown with a 4'' brim.

Could someone share with me some information as to the general dimensions of the traditional BotP?
Thanks all for your time :).

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This is what Stetson sold as the Boss of the Plains thru the Sear & Roebuck catalog in 1890. I believe this should furnish you the correct dimensions to go from. Are you going to get an open crown , flat brimmed hat as your Western hat ?

botp_advert1.gif

and here's a photo of one:

boss_plains1.gif

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
BTW, did you read the copy in that catalog cut "...silk band and binding." Sounds like it had a bound edge brim ! :) BTW why get one from the Major when all you have to do is find a S&R catalog and fill out an order form and order it for $4.50 :)

huckleberry

New in Town
I just discovered the Fedora Lounge this week ...fantastic with lots of great info, reading and learning. Hopefully you guys and gals can point me in the right direction with a project I'm working on. This is my first post...so I hope no one will mind me posting a question about hat ribbons here, since its related to cowboy/western style hats. I want to add a custom ribbon/bow to (2) hats that I'm making up, both sort of the "Outlaw Josey Wales" look.

I'd like to do either a 1" or 1.5" wide solid color satin band/grosgrain ribbon on them. I'm very new to all this classic stuff, so if I'm off a little on the terminology....please forgive me...I'm anxious to learn. Anyway, I thought of buying length of grosgrain and then tie them into what I read to be called an 1898 bow... however the bow I'm thinking to be more period correct is maybe some like the Homburg style bow. All I can find are pre-made hat ribbons made for Panama hats (on ebay) but I don't believe this is the right approach. I'm trying for something 1850's-1860's in appearance. I already reshaped both hats with a kettle/steam and added "trail dirt" to artificially make the hats look old and weathered. I'll finish them off by draping Army hat cords on them. They are really starting to look sweet...I just need to finish them off the right way so there will be no later regrets.

I tried to research tying bows but somewhere between double loop bows with tails and such I became sort of confused. I read about some of you guys using elastic grosgrain etc...I just don't know where to start. One thing for sure...all the stuff you can find/buy online and hat bands are not one of them.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Remember Tennesse, these are WESTERN hats and as such will have LOTS of shellac in the felt, especially that flat top SRV style. Even my fathers Stetson is STILL alot stiffer than his Fedora of almost the same age. They do get softer and more maleable with time and weather but You might have to wear it almost 24/7 in ALL weathers and around MY age you ( I'm old enough to be your granddad:) ) might be able to recrease it easily. Give that one a bit of extra thought guy. I would if I were you. :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Neo
You might check to see if the flat top is only flat, or if it is flared
The flare could cause problems if it is reblocked later.
The issue with reblocking a non-flared flat top western is whether you have a tall enough crown to allow it to be reshaped
Clint Eastwood wore a couple of flat-topped hats that had really short crowns, and I can't see those being turned into much of anything else.
But it looks like the one you picture has a fairly tall crown, so there should be plenty there to work with.

Sam

danofarlington

Hmmm...that is something I hadn't considered. Thank you!
I kind of like the "reverse taper" look of the flared crown, as you put it. It reminds me of this guy:

SteveThornton.jpg

With the exception of that particular color and hat band (not to mention the crazy fur coat :)), this is kind of what I'm going for.

Ah yes, Bigfoot.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm...that is something I hadn't considered. Thank you!
I kind of like the "reverse taper" look of the flared crown, as you put it. It reminds me of this guy:

SteveThornton.jpg

With the exception of that particular color and hat band (not to mention the crazy fur coat :)), this is kind of what I'm going for.

What's wrong with the coat? :) Looks good with that hat ! I think you could carry it off!! As for the hatband, why don't you like it? It looks to be a basketweave tooled leather one. Yea, I could see you in that hat & that coat :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
He could probably have a tooled leather one done for ya !! Even find a silver buckle set for it as well !!! 'Memeber if ya do that, get solid Sterling to befit your cutom hat :) I just received my DM Cattleman and 6 plait band ! :) It's "fair dinkum" for sure !! Will be giving it a baptism at the stables this afternoon !! see ya later :)

1961MJS

Can't wait to see it! I've been wondering what one would look like. I'm considering a kangaroo band for the Slouch hat (whenever I get around to buying it) to imitate the "civilian" alteration I've read about. That pug's a little dressy for the use I'm going to be getting out of it anyway [huh].

Actually, one of the only reasons I even considered a leather band is because of the Major's suggestion :). Now I'm dead-set!

Hi Neo

The Pugaree looks great on the Australian Slouch hats, I have a wool one and like it a lot. For a Western look, by all means get the leather band if you want it. Personally, I've never even considered a leather band. Note "never even considered", not I hate the whole concept. I like the variations in ribbons etc and see both the ribbon and leather band as simply decoration so I don't see a big difference.

later

1961MJS

I just read somewhere that the Slouch is now considered a "dress uniform" hat, and that wearing it with civilian clothes as miltary personnel is discouraged. However, by removing the pug and/or attaching a leather hat band, and additionally removing the badge, it then becomes OK to wear with civilian clothes. This is kind of the effect I wanted to achieve, but it really all depends on how I like the look whenever I acquire the hat.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not trying to achieve the Western look with the slouch. Monbla and I just got a little :eek:fftopic: about our Akubras lol!

Hi, I know you're not going Western with a Slouch. The Slouch hat is CURRENTLY a dress hat, but is traditionally a real campaign hat. Look up Chindit on Google and check the pics.

This is their GENERAL, and that's a slouch hat or in Brit terms Bush hat. If he doesn't look like someone who NEEDS a handout then who really does?
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWmesservy.htm

Just loose the brass, the chin strap, and don't pin or snap up the side. Most of the Brits, Indians, and Yanks in Burna worn them. One group worn then shaped like a pork pie. It's also effectively a Safari hat. The Puggree isn't strictly a military item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe