Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

msm007

One of the Regulars

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AHA!!!

I deleted most of my former posts, because I finally found what I'd like in a western :). It's a Boss of the Plains with a rolled and curled brim, though I'd probably want it in a different color. This western looks great!

BossofthePlains.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate a second to put a lid like this on my head :).

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Is that one of Major Moore's hats? I like the bound edge on the brim and overall it is a very nice looking hat. I could see a tooled leather hatband mabe just a tad narrower than the ribbon band shown. What are the color(s) you have to choose from?

DRB

One Too Many
Neophyte: who makes that hat you just pictured? I like everything about it. I don't thinki it is an Akubra is it?

Neophyte

No, it isn't an Akubra (one can dream, though :)). All I know about it came from an article called "In Search of the Real Cowboy Hat." In the article, it provides the picture which it states is courtesy of "Clearwater Hats."
Thing is, I checked all over the Clearwater Hats website, and I couldn't find anyting like it [huh]. At any rate, here is the article in question. Hope this helps!

Monbla, as for the felt colors offered by the Major, they can be found here.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I went to the Major's website to look at the colors (it's one of the HARDEST to navigate I've ever used) and from the graphic program he used there's not alot of variation visable. I hope he sends you small samples of the felt when you get ready to order :) But then I realized he's in Tennessee so you can drive to his shop and do all this in person :) BTW my Cattleman should be thuroughly dry by tommorrow evening :)

Neophyte

But then I realized he's in Tennessee so you can drive to his shop and do all this in person :) BTW my Cattleman should be thuroughly dry by tommorrow evening :)

lol He may be in Tennessee, but Memphis is a good 6 hour drive from here! I would be hard pressed while in college to find time to make that drive, so that would definitely be a last resort.
I can't wait to see the Cattleman, though!

Last edited:

majormoore

Vendor
This hat is from Clearwater hats, too me the crown seems a little to tall, the brim has a bound edge and a pencil curl , both are no problem on this hat, I make alot of BOP hats that many many cowboy action shooters buy from me.

Also a side note all of us hatters get the same hat bodies and the colors are the same , unless you have a custom dye run of at least 36 hat bodies, I did a custom dye run last year, have about 4 of the bodies left at this time.

Most of the BOP hats I make have a 4" bound edge brim, pencil curled brim and a 4" crown. Then the belly dip in the middle to give the brim that semi dip front to rear look.

Major Moore

Neophyte

This hat is from Clearwater hats, to me the crown seems a little too tall, the brim has a bound edge and a pencil curl.
Also a side note all of us hatters get the same hat bodies and the colors are the same
Most of the BOP hats I make have a 4" bound edge brim, pencil curled brim and a 4" crown. Then the belly dip in the middle to give the brim that semi dip front to rear look.

Major Moore

Thanks so much for the info, Major; that helped a lot! Are the hat bodies you gentleman receive from Winchester, TN? I hear that name float around a lot but I can't ever attach a meaning to it :). I think you're right about the crown as well. I suppose you can disregard my email, then :). Thanks!

Last edited:

majormoore

Vendor
We do get the bodies from Winchester, I have over 250 hat bodies at my shop and there are close to 200 of them in pure beaver western hat bodies in all colors.

Major Moore

msm007

One of the Regulars
This hat is from Clearwater hats, too me the crown seems a little to tall, the brim has a bound edge and a pencil curl , both are no problem on this hat, I make alot of BOP hats that many many cowboy action shooters buy from me.

Also a side note all of us hatters get the same hat bodies and the colors are the same , unless you have a custom dye run of at least 36 hat bodies, I did a custom dye run last year, have about 4 of the bodies left at this time.

Major Moore

Thanks for the very good information

majormoore

Vendor
Jimmy, about 8 years ago I had a coat just like that, I wore it one weekend when it got to 3 degrees here and I like to have dead wearing it, talk about heavy and hot.

Need to have one where the temp gets below -15 to really enjoy a coat like that, so I sold mine to a person in nothern Wyoming , where in the winter it gets cold.

I wish I still had it to hang in the shop.

You need to come down some time and look around, all kinds of neat stuff in the shop now.

Major Moore

Sam Craig

One Too Many
It's hard to find just the right occasion to wear a buffalo overcoat

It's not the thing to wear to a chamber of commerce coffee most places ... especially not if you've been out in the rain or snow

It would be fun to wear one to WalMart, though

Sam

danofarlington

It's hard to find just the right occasion to wear a buffalo overcoat

It's not the thing to wear to a chamber of commerce coffee most places ... especially not if you've been out in the rain or snow

It would be fun to wear one to WalMart, though

Sam

The annual PETA tea party would be my choice of where to wear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe