Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

TipTop

Practically Family
Josh Brolin is featured in the current Wall St Journal "WSJ Weekend" as a benchmark of American masculinity. While I don't admire Hollywood quite so much as the author, it's nice to see western wear--and a vintage Stetson-- featured in the nation's largest circulation daily.

Hope this link works (I have a subscription, so sometimes that is needed).

cw3pa

A-List Customer
I thought I'd throw my old Resistol into the ring.
Resistol.jpg

I adjusted the crease a little bit years ago to change its character just a tad.

TipTop

Practically Family
Good lookin pairing there, CW3. Are those Lucchese chocolate bisons?

Since CW3PA started it, how's about posting your favorite HAT/BOOT combination? Please be sure to show your boot shafts, even if it takes two pics to include the hat.

I'll follow with my fav pair: 'Whiskey and Feathers'--J.B. Hill "La Plumas" with chocolate foot and whiskey shafts with inlaid feathers. Topped off by Churchill for Neiman Marcus "Red River" in Whiskey with a renewed elaborate (note tail) feather badge and band.

15451332-md.jpg

15451352-md.jpg

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
You're welcome, thx for prompting a thread concept! I'm very partial to chocolate browns and have them in all flavors of shafts. Very few black boots, although I have a couple of vintage decorative inlays that I bought despite their being black. Being in upstate NY, I'm hesitant to wear a big hat with boots, but figure a brim under 3.75 and plain-footed boots won't draw much attention except from people who know what they are looking at...then, I hike my cuff up!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Astute eye, Ray. Two of them were tall cattleman's creases before; I reshaped them and trimmed the brims. The lightest one is an older No. 1 Quality Stetson. I lowered the crown on that just a tad, but left the brim be.

Thanks, Job. :)

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I believe this cowboy hat to be from the 1950s or thereabout. Looks to have been custom made by Jim Smyth of Salt Lake City. Not really my style so it's up in the Classifieds at the moment.

001-27.jpg

002-18.jpg

003-21.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I do, however, love this old cowboy hat. Snatched it up for $5 at a junk shop. I don't wear it very often but I still love it. Anyone identify the brand?

cowboyhat001-1.jpg

cowboyhat002-1.jpg

cowboyhat004-1.jpg

cowboyhat003-1.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
QUICK! Orvis has knocked the price of the Ritch Rand Windrider (7x) down to $150! Sizes 7 and 7 3/8 are only two left. Gorgeous hat, but BONE in color, as opposed to tan picture. Last week, i paid $300 for mine....
15433872-sm.jpg

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Earlier this year I bought a nice (factory second I think) Resistol 20x Beaver in Silverbelly. When I bought it, it looked like this:

Resistol_Start_02_sm.jpg

I tried the John Wayne Cavalry type hat:

Finished_Resistol_05_sm.jpg

But the crown wasn't high enough. I took it back to Brian and had him make it into a BOP:

Resistol_BOP_Front_Post.jpg

Front View

Resistol_BOP_Quarter_Post.jpg

Quarter View

Resistol_BOP_Side_Post.jpg

Side View

I like it a lot better now, the crown is slightly higher (5 and a half inches). Hatman Jack said that it had lots of character, probably because it smelled like wood smoke and had some soot on it when I brought it in. I like the hat a lot more now.

Lager

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Very nice! I like the BOP style.

I got this one last year, a Resistol 3x beaver. Not a very common crease, clearly someone changed the cattleman crease into something.
It have The Man's Hat Shop, Albuquerque, New Mexico on the sweatband.
resistol3xpin.jpg

It came with this pin:
resistolpin.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
I like the rebashing on both of the above. I have a new/used Butch Dorer Pure Beaver that I want reconfigured and expect that I'll just send it to him. I may include your ideas for him to work with. As you can see, it has virtually no shape right now.

15309993-md.jpg

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Very nice! I like the BOP style.

I got this one last year, a Resistol 3x beaver. Not a very common crease, clearly someone changed the cattleman crease into something.
It have The Man's Hat Shop, Albuquerque, New Mexico on the sweatband.
resistol3xpin.jpg

It came with this pin:
resistolpin.jpg

Nice hat. I know the Men't Hat Shop well. Great store and nice folks.

By the way, your signature says "lever action shooter." Do you participate in Cowboy Action Shooting?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat. I know the Men't Hat Shop well. Great store and nice folks.

By the way, your signature says "lever action shooter." Do you participate in Cowboy Action Shooting?

Never been there. Well I never have been in America...
Sadly, CAS do not exist in my Country (I think that kind of competition do not exist in Europe).
That gun is a pellet gun (it appears a bit in the first picture). It's the only gun that resembles a Winchester lever action available to me without a gun licence/permit.
The other one in the picture is a 1873 replica made in Spain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82