Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

TipTop

Practically Family
I posted the long and filthy saga of this hat over on What Are You Wearing Today, but wanted the Western Room's opinion on what if any step I should take next with this piece. It is a 10X Beaver Brand that I bought cheap and was my first rebash victim. It fits well but has 3/4 width crack in front-center of the sweat. It is filthy (see saga) but I like the feel of the felt and am thinking about having it cleaned and reblocked.

First, is 10X Beaver brand respectable/worth cleaning? Any suggestions as to who might wash, block and re-sweatband this for reasonable money? It used to be about 5+ tall with upturned brim sides. I'm not a big fan of black hats and this represents, for the moment, my only western example. Thoughts? Suggestions?

15345393-lg.jpg

15345392-lg.jpg

...First, is 10X Beaver brand respectable/worth cleaning? Any suggestions as to who might wash, block and re-sweatband this for reasonable money? It used to be about 5+ tall with upturned brim sides. I'm not a big fan of black hats and this represents, for the moment, my only western example. Thoughts? Suggestions?...

I'd look to Catalena Hatters = http://www.catalenahats.com/restoration.html for a renovation & ask for the hat to be sent back open crown.
When I got it back, brim trim & personal creasing. JMHO

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Take a look at Wyatt Earp in Tombstone, that had might be a good starter on one of those hats. It might not look quite right with your leather jacket though.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
I did some brisk brushing and a little steaming to my new, free Beaver 5X Cattleman, then, stuffed the sweat with a strip 2.5 mm of styro packing sheet, cut to an inch wide, and presto, my 7 1/2 LO is stuffed down to a 7 3/8 Long Oval. I posted a separate "Re-sizing Down" piece on how I measured and tried the various thicknesses of the stuffing.

Almost looks presentable with the grit and filth brushed away:

15370372-lg.jpg

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Catera.jpg
[/IMG]

As western as I get--a Steton Gun Club Catera--sort of a transitional hat. I rarely ride without it and it stays on, even at a full gallop!

TipTop

Practically Family
ORVIS has Ritch Rand 7X beaver tan cowboy on sale to $299 (from $375); plenty of sizes as of this writing (went on sale this morning).

CORRECTION: Looks like a #95 Windrider with the Sunset Trails 3/8" tooled leather band and 1/4 Sterling Buckle set (+$150).

Rands own 8Xs start at $379, plus band.

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
This is my "Tucson" made by Clearwater Hats. This hat has been my primary hat for Cowboy Action Shooting for close to 12 years now. It has seen every kind of weather imaginable, and has held up very well. I have no idea how many times I have reshaped it, but currently kinda Boss Of The Plains look.
P1000944.jpg

Liner and sweatband:
P1000948.jpg

P1000947.jpg

P1000946.jpg

P1000945.jpg

The liner is cotton, and the sweat is a very soft leather which is a good 2 and 1/2 inches wide.

TipTop

Practically Family
Looks great and just mildly "toned" with wear, considering all you say that it has been through (and especially considering the faux "distressing" that one can buy today). How do you normally dent the crown?

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Looks great and just mildly "toned" with wear, considering all you say that it has been through (and especially considering the faux "distressing" that one can buy today). How do you normally dent the crown?

Hi, Tip Top. I have always worn it with the open crown. The brim I have shaped flat all around, tip up in front (kinda a Wild Bill look), and even with a pencil roll. Takes pretty much what you want.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought that I had my first cowboy hat completely picked out... until I opened this thread!
Yep TxSon, you're pretty much screwed if you wanted to start saving money. There are several OTHER Western hat type threads too. John Wayne's Akubra thread evilly forced me into my next (two?) hat purchases, one Sun body to try out the John Wayne/Ford Cavalry hat look on me, and then one from Major Moore if that one looks good.

What's worse is that my local hat guy told me to go to a Candy store, they have Pecan's dipped in Gran Mariner and dipped in Dark Chocolate. I"m down about $30 a month from that place too, but not JUST from the chocolate pecans. Imagine a candy store the size of two convenience stores, and wall to wall candy and nuts.

Grumble, grumble, time for a dark chocolate covered coffee bean or two.

TipTop

Practically Family
I thought that I had my first cowboy hat completely picked out... until I opened this thread!

Welcome! Given your address, your surprise is a surprise to me! We hope not to confuse but to expand your view of hats. I just posted info on my first custom hat, a gambler, in another "first question" thread. Fire away with any questions this "Yankee" might answer!

BTW, I just did some more research on the Rand I bought on sale for $299 from ORVIS yesterday and it appears to the the #95 Windrider with the Sunset Trails Sterling silver 1/4 buckle set. That would be a $500 hat direct from Rand.

Last edited:

AntTxSon

New in Town
Welcome! Given your address, your surprise is a surprise to me! We hope not to confuse but to expand your view of hats. I just posted info on my first custom hat, a gambler, in another "first question" thread. Fire away with any questions this "Yankee" might answer!

BTW, I just did some more research on the Rand I bought on sale for $299 from ORVIS yesterday and it appears to the the #95 Windrider with the Sunset Trails Sterling silver 1/4 buckle set. That would be a $500 hat direct from Rand.

Haha! Thanks so much for the welcome. I can certainly attest to the fact that there is no shortage of eclectic western-wear. I have absolutely no doubt that after a few weeks around here, that my head will be literally and figuratively covered with ideas lol.

Oh, and I too am a Yankee by birth. Grew up in central Ohio and still miss White Castle! haha

Yep TxSon, you're pretty much screwed if you wanted to start saving money. There are several OTHER Western hat type threads too. John Wayne's Akubra thread evilly forced me into my next (two?) hat purchases, one Sun body to try out the John Wayne/Ford Cavalry hat look on me, and then one from Major Moore if that one looks good.

What's worse is that my local hat guy told me to go to a Candy store, they have Pecan's dipped in Gran Mariner and dipped in Dark Chocolate. I"m down about $30 a month from that place too, but not JUST from the chocolate pecans. Imagine a candy store the size of two convenience stores, and wall to wall candy and nuts.

Grumble, grumble, time for a dark chocolate covered coffee bean or two.

I see that I am screwed! I indeed should have consulted with my checkbook before coming here!!

Thank you for the additional information. I have been reading through quite a few very interesting, informative, and entertaining threads on here. I will have to check into the other threads that you mention. Much appreciated.

The pecans sound incredible by the way. Sweets are another weakness of mine, but I tend to justify the expense as a medical necessity.. lol.

TipTop

Practically Family
Ritch Rand for Orvis
My Orvis-on-Sale 7X beaver Rand arrived and I append a couple of pics. It is very handsome, but I fear very fragile in the color department. I figure wearing it to Wyoming next month ought to break it right in. The sterling silver buckle set is bright compared to my other Rand which is more "aged/tarnished" in appearance. The beige satin lining is marked ORVIS 150 Anniversary 2006, in gold, while the perforated sweat has the gold Rand logo and 7X. I like it a lot; the felt is luxurious.

15433872-lg.jpg

15433874-lg.jpg

15433873-lg.jpg

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
+1. Very nice! It looks like the felt is fairly light weight?
Thx Randall and Griz, Yes, I'd say the felt is relatively light, but certainly stiff. The overall weight of the hat is not hefty; I spose that's better for warm weather wear too. BTW, to call this "bone" is an understatement; the felt is creamy white, maybe alabaster, and is equally lucent and soft in surface texture; very elegant.

Here is a liner shot, showing perforated goat sweat and Orvis liner: (I checked the production date-- November 2011--so I guess they are just using up the 150th anniversary liners.) For $299, I think it is a solid value, compared to Rand's 8X for $400+.
15438872-lg.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82