Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

frussell

One Too Many
Speaking of calibers, I've got a Colt in 38-40 WCF that belonged to the man in my avatar, but I'm pretty sure it would make a bigger hole in a card than most of my other firearms of more modern manufacture.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Back to actual hats." That's exactly what I wanted to hear :D.

Frussell, well done! I'm pretty jealous, the Silver Spur was THE model I wanted back when I was still thinking about getting an Akubra western. I think it was TheGood that recommended it to me :). Glen Grey isn't even a color I see offered! Very well done :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap.

T Rick

Practically Family
frussell, great catch on that Silver Spur! Looking forward to the pics of what form it takes. And BTW, who is that man in your avatar?

I deleted all my posts regarding this custom idea to save space on the thread. I may or may not start my own thread to detail the progress of the project. The next time you hear about it, it'll probably be in my hands :). The last thing I will say is that the idea has changed a little (mostly in crown shape) after seeing English Bob's hat in the movie Unforgiven. I will eschew the playing card, which after some thought I found to gimmicky. I WILL, however, be keeping the drilled dice. With the kind I have in mind it ought to be understated enough to not draw too much attention.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.

Ah, the Duck of Death? :D Couldn't find a decent pic of his hat, do you have an image or a link?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Back to actual hats, here's one that's new to me, an eBay find. Akubra Silver Spur in Glen Grey. 5 12/" crown, 3 1/2" brim. Feels like a bigger Campdraft with no bound brim. Not sure what shape this one will take in the future, but it was a hell of a deal on a hat I've not seen in this color before. And a 63 at that. Frank
P1200101.jpg
[/IMG]
P1200100.jpg
[/IMG]
P1200102.jpg
[/IMG]
P1200103.jpg
[/IMG]

That model is not even offered by Akubra anymore and from the fact that it is unlined and has the older kubra logo inside the crown sticker I'd say you got yourself an Australia only Vintage Akubra :) Way to go :)

Onward thru thr Fog

Neophyte

frussell, great catch on that Silver Spur! Looking forward to the pics of what form it takes. And BTW, who is that man in your avatar?

Ah, the Duck of Death? :D Couldn't find a decent pic of his hat, do you have an image or a link?

lol I just watched that part lol.
Sure, I found a huge pic, though it's from the side/back.

The Duck of Death, for your viewing pleasure:

254483-1.jpg

vlcsnap2290494.png

I love that sleek black profile.

1961MJS

Hi Neo, I'm considering getting a hat like English Bob's from Unforgiven (it was on last night). It also seems to match the one Eastwood wore in Pale Rider. Personally, I'm thinking Whiskey, Sahara, or Black in that order. Matching band, or Dark Maroon band, don't know, don't care, don't have any more money anyway.

Since English Bob is the "Duck of Death" you MUST go to the Tennessee State Fair and grab a few duck feathers to wear. There are ducks of many colors, and a black hat with a black band should have a big long black duck feather.

I don't know how it would look, but there should be a way to drill out dice to work with the stampede string. Just a thought, and not as good as the duck feathers one.

Later

Last edited:

Neophyte

Hi Neo, I'm considering getting a hat like English Bob's from Unforgiven (it was on last night). It also seems to match the one Eastwood wore in Pale Rider. Personally, I'm thinking Whiskey, Sahara, or Black in that order. Matching band, or Dark Maroon band, don't know, don't care, don't have any more money anyway.

Since English Bob is the "Duck of Death" you MUST go to the Tennessee State Fair and grab a few duck feathers to wear. There are ducks of many colors, and a black hat with a black band should have a big long black duck feather.

I don't know how it would look, but there should be a way to drill out dice to work with the stampede string. Just a thought, and not as good as the duck feathers one.

Later

Yeah, I saw it last night as well. Don't know how I'd never heard of it up 'til now [huh].

Eastwood's Pale Rider hat had a similar brim, but without any curl or bound edge. It also had a tall, reverse-taper crown, whereas this one is flat/rounded off. I see what you mean, and while I like the Pale Rider hat, it just did not look that good on me when I tried it at Buckaroo Hatters. That reverse-taper crown makes my head look wierd!
By the way, if you do get an English Bob hat, tell me what color so I don't get the same ;). I was considering black and whiskey, mahself.

As for the dice, it's as simple as pulling the trigger on a power drill and praying that everything works out all right :D.

Thanks for the suggestion about the duck feathers. I'll consider it :).

Last edited:

Neophyte

The Duck of Death's hat is like a Planter hat in felt instead of straw. I like it, too.

That thought did come to my mind. The brim curl isn't severe enough to be what in my mind is a traditional gambler. It's more like a flat brim, slightly curled at the sides, with a bit of a dip in the front and the back. I really wish I had never seen it, as it practically ruined my "Gambler concept" idea lol.

Last edited:

1961MJS

By the way, if you do get an English Bob hat, tell me what color so I don't get the same ;). I was considering black and whiskey, mahself...

Hi Neo, you'll be going first on the hat, since I'm still waiting on a Jaxonbilt Campaign hat.

I think that duck feathers will be pretty good on a Western hat, you can pull them off the tail and they'll only be 3-6 inches long, not like an itty bitty regular hat feather, and not like a Pheasant one either.

Later

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Possible 'slight derail alert!'

Although criticized all through the movie for it, Ive always liked this hat worn by James Caan in El Dorado:

51247055.jpg

Its got the stove pipe, reverse taper, curled up brim (though not pencil). Anyway, just a contribution from your friendly neighborhood spiderman.

Neophyte

Hi Neo, you'll be going first on the hat, since I'm still waiting on a Jaxonbilt Campaign hat.

I think that duck feathers will be pretty good on a Western hat, you can pull them off the tail and they'll only be 3-6 inches long, not like an itty bitty regular hat feather, and not like a Pheasant one either.

Later

Alright then. BTW, congrats on the Jaxonbilt, I remember when you were posting about it. It's the Cav hat, right?

Scotty, I like that hat too. I couldn't wear it because of the reverse-taper, but I liked almost everything else about it. It's what got me interested in the concept of the "old west tophat", which got me interested in the Pale Rider hat, which led me to westerns, which led to the mess I'm in now lol.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
This is sort of a quasi-western hat I reckon- I recently got this Snowy River and immediately came to the conclusion that I did not like the low crown at all.

swordandhats019.jpg

So I fixed it up with this look- the hat is not really tall enough to do a real Montana crease but I think it looks good and it definitely fits my head a lot better- I like a hat that I can jam down on my head when the wind blows!

Two years later ...

I really like this bash. If you still have this hat, can you post any front shots of it?

Harry.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Possible 'slight derail alert!'

Although criticized all through the movie for it, Ive always liked this hat worn by James Caan in
Its got the stove pipe, reverse taper, curled up brim (though not pencil).

Its almost a homburg brim on that hat!! I haven't seen that movie since I was much, much younger.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Resistol Double-X Quality OPS Tag

5375885327_33c1f12e5b_b.jpg
5376483466_f0a5b972e0_b.jpg
5376481536_c5a1da8431_b.jpg

OPS Tag with $12.50 price. 4" brim. Pretty nice felt but Beaver component unlikely.

frussell

One Too Many
Robert - I like that little silver hat a lot. We mostly call them bandana, neckerchief or scarf slides out this way, and that's one of the nicest I've seen. At one time, I had a couple dozen antique sterling slides, and wore them with whatever "wild rag" I was using at the time. I still have some that were my grandfather's, and a few old sentimental favorites. If you ever part with it, let me know. Thanks, Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe