Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

fmw

One Too Many
OK, then since my hats say beaver then they are 100% beaver fur? The X's indicate that they are a low grade of beaver fur since one can buy hats with more X's? I've been in the marketing business all my life. One thing I've learned is that confusion is never an effective marketing strategy. They would do well to give people a clear idea of what they are getting for their money. People will pay more more often if they know why they are paying more. It's pretty basic. That system may work OK for exotic wrist watches but I don't understand how it can be effective with hats. Ah, well. What do I know? :)

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Just because the sweatband says something like "3X beaver quality" doesn't mean there's any beaver at all in it. I believe Resistol's XX beaver is mostly wool, for instance, with maybe a touch of rabbit. It's all marketing.

And then it's not standardized maker to maker- so a 4X from one company is not the same quality as a 4X from another- and it's always been that way.

And then there's the matter of inflation- A 7X stetson used to be pure beaver back in the '50s and '60s. A modern 7X stetson is a much lower quality hat. A modern pure beaver Stetson is more in the 30-100X range.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
OK, then since my hats say beaver then they are 100% beaver fur? The X's indicate that they are a low grade of beaver fur since one can buy hats with more X's? I've been in the marketing business all my life. One thing I've learned is that confusion is never an effective marketing strategy. They would do well to give people a clear idea of what they are getting for their money. People will pay more more often if they know why they are paying more. It's pretty basic. That system may work OK for exotic wrist watches but I don't understand how it can be effective with hats. Ah, well. What do I know? :)

The X system came about back in the days "Snake Oil selling" and since we have NOT established regulations as to the product grading concerning hats, this system has continued up to the present. Under today's "truth in advertising" laws, if it says "Beaver" it is beaver. As for the ranking of the "x"s, that's truly anyones guess. :) This myth used to sell hats back then has persisted into this century and really has no validity at all. This does not mean that no one is not telling the truth as to Beaver fur content, just that you really can't take the "X" system to heart to find out :) Onward thru the fog :)

fmw

One Too Many
It's bizarre. The hat on my head in my avatar says 4X beaver. I bought it in 1966. My new Open Road says XXXX beaver I bought it this week. It is nicer than the 60's hat in terms finish and feel. The markings, then, say nothing and aren't comparable in any way. Very bizarre.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Not bizzare at all :) Sounds like standard product hype to me. Different types for different times!! And your correct "... markings, then, say nothing and aren't comparable in any way" :) Without a manditory standard everyone is free to say what they want :)

frussell

One Too Many
The "X" system is loads of fun. I generally disregard it. If I'm fishing on eBay for western hats, I use a combination of approximate era + photo evidence + sweatband markings + "XXX" description and model name + a large percentage of "what the hell, it's cheap" to make my guesses. I took a chance on a custom western from Miller's recently, and was disappointed to find out that their idea of an 8X western hat was a Resistol (with no XXX designation that I could find) that felt cheaper than any hat I own. I've seen modern Stetson and Resistols with cheap semi-leather sweats, but this thing was like shiny vinyl. If I was rating it, I'm not sure it would even get 1X. Shame on me. Much better if you can feel them, or find them in an open crown. Frank

msm007

One of the Regulars
Hmmmm. Curious. If they keep "qualitY" levels secret then there probably aren't quality levels or, at least, not as many as one would imagine. Perhaps when you buy more X's you get more finishing or something other than a different material. They have as good a name as any in the Western hat world. Why would they hide behind a secret "quality" code? Frankly it makes no sense to me. Personally, if I were choosing between a $150 Stetson and a $1500 Stetson, I'd like to understand what I'm buying and why.

I have always had better luck with older hats rather then new - as far as the X's go.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While searching for pics of the "Natural" color felts on the Lounge, I found this post by another Lounger. Both of these are from Mackey Custom Hats in Wyoming. Apparently he handmakes each one and has no storefront and employees, so he can keep the prices lower. BOTH of these hats rock my socks off :D (especially that telescope)! Thought I ought to post them here:

The bone hat I ordered blocked in the "Conagher", the natural I ordered open and shaped myself. The great thing about all beaver is that I shaped the hat first as a cattleman, then a diamond before settling on the telescope. I've done a lot of hat shaping and this hat was the easiest of any I've ever done.

I also like the fact that it is a family; Husband, wife and son. Their prices are great and I recieved both hats within a week of placing my order. They don't have a lot of frills but a solid deal.

Oh and the hitched horse hair band and concho are something I found on my own.

Bone.jpg

Natural.jpg

sweat.jpg

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
The Amish wear black boss of the plains hats. They always did and probably always will.

frussell

One Too Many
Thought I posted last night - must have had too much nog. Mackey Hatters are a pleasure to deal with, and make a fine hat. I've had one for seven or eight years now, and it has held up to unmentionable abuse. Merry Christmas. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe