Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Also, this came today. I really had no idea what I had purchased, as I couldn't find much on Alexander or circle A hats. I just was excited because it's from a place I used to love to go when I was a kid: Knott's berry farm amusement park in California. My favorite parts were always the old west shows and the staged train robbery in the ghost town, which I once anticipated and held up the robbers with my own cap gun. Probably couldn't do that anymore. This hat was probably used as a prop or part of their costume. I am pleasantly surprised that it's not wool, and happy that the name of the park is printed on the sweatband!
Brim is 4 3/8-4 1/2".
You're welcome, Joao. :)

gara5a2u.jpg
egupured.jpg
u8ahude2.jpg
4u3ybyty.jpg
a5e3ave8.jpg

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

ingineer

One Too Many
Bowlerman;
The black one
Perfect crossover
Esp with that ribbon
The large brim ....Just Wow
Richard

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
Bowlerman, that monster brim looks exactly like the old cowboy hats pre 1900. The sort of cowboy hats we are used to seeing were never worn by the real cowboys--the ones that disappeared after large ranches and barbed wire ended the old west. That hat you have right there looks very much like the kind worn in the late 1860s to the 1890s when the west was really wild. Floppy brims of over 4 inches that sort of went turned up at crazy angles, rounded crowns. Perfect.

ingineer

One Too Many
Bowlerman, that monster brim looks exactly like the old cowboy hats pre 1900. The sort of cowboy hats we are used to seeing were never worn by the real cowboys--the ones that disappeared after large ranches and barbed wire ended the old west. That hat you have right there looks very much like the kind worn in the late 1860s to the 1890s when the west was really wild. Floppy brims of over 4 inches that sort of went turned up at crazy angles, rounded crowns. Perfect.
Much better stated
Now you need a Single action name
http://www.sassnet.com/
Richard

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here ya go. Center crease only. Believe it or not, the brim is only 2 7/8". I'm just smaller than Ed Harris.

Oh yeah....I like that. It really looks good with that crease. Aside from the wider ribbon and smaller brim it looks really close to the "Appaloosa" hat....btw, Joao's going to be jealous of the wide brim on the other hat you just posted! ;)

fedoracentric

Banned
Here are some actual, real cowboy hats from the pre 1900s era that Bowlerman's hat reminds me of (favorably):
cowboy-buddies.jpg
cowboyband-lg.jpg
cowboys.jpg
hickok.jpg
That is, as opposed to what we often think of as a "cowboy hat" today as worn on TV...
willandwarnerbroscowboys500.jpg
Or the 1920s big hats of the early cowboy movies...
tom_mix.jpg

Bowlerman's seems more like an authentic, original western cowboy hat.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I know. The perfect road trip or really hot sunny day has got to be waiting somewhere!

I went into a boot barn western work wear shop yesterday, to pass some time while waiting for lunch. A couple things caught my eye. I grabbed a resistol black gold off the rack, just to see it, and the feel really was incredible. So expensive, though.

Also there was a brand called Cody or something, and their 10X also seemed to have a super nice hand. I read somewhere that their mix could be beaver, chinchilla, and mink. And they were much less expensive. Between 100-200 dollars off the rack.

Renault

One Too Many
...but definitely not in a strong wind though! ;)

Reminded me of something an old rancher told me one time. " never hire a man who owns a pair of gloves, smokes a pipe, or wears a straw hat. He's always either hunting for that one lost glove, trying to keep his pipe lite, or chasing that straw hat across the prairie."

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Reminded me of something an old rancher told me one time. " never hire a man who owns a pair of gloves, smokes a pipe, or wears a straw hat. He's always either hunting for that one lost glove, trying to keep his pipe lite, or chasing that straw hat across the prairie."
I don't like to wear gloves because I cannot feel with them, don't smoke because I have asma and rarely wear a straw hat.
My only gloves have the fingers trimmed because I can't work with my fingers covered and the place is very cold in winter.

...but definitely not in a strong wind though! ;)
No, we don't want bowlerman to be airborne :)
Better for him to send that hat to me ;)

I know. The perfect road trip or really hot sunny day has got to be waiting somewhere!
Here they already are starting. 35ºC for today and seems next days will be hotter. :(

I went into a boot barn western work wear shop yesterday, to pass some time while waiting for lunch. A couple things caught my eye. I grabbed a resistol black gold off the rack, just to see it, and the feel really was incredible. So expensive, though.
Both my Black Golds were bought on ebay for less than $120 each! They have a nice felt but they are low crown. Resistol don't make them with bigger crown and pointed me to the Quarter Horse 60 hat for a little less felt quality but bigger crown.

frussell

One Too Many
Bman - black hat looks excellent in the "Gus" crease. They don't have to all be 10" tall with a 5" brim. I am really envious of the Knott's hat. It reminds me of several hats I've seen my great grandfather wearing in late 1800s photos, like my avatar. Really cool, plus I have the same attachment to the park as you do. Frank

John Galt

Vendor

I like it! I also identify with Joao's comment. As a one-time choker setter, I always wore thin weaved cotton liners rather than thick felted cotton gloves, because they would still tear rather than hold & drag me into the rigging, but were tight enough to allow much more sensation than the gloves most fellows wore. I did end up with more cuts & barbs than some guys, but I still have all of my fingers.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I like it! I also identify with Joao's comment. As a one-time choker setter, I always wore thin weaved cotton liners rather than thick felted cotton gloves, because they would still tear rather than hold & drag me into the rigging, but were tight enough to allow much more sensation than the gloves most fellows wore. I did end up with more cuts & barbs than some guys, but I still have all of my fingers.

In my occupation, Roofing, it's near impossible to wear gloves, at least on the hand someone would hold their roofing nails in. I've seen guys cut the fingers out of them and try it that way but that didn't work well either when you were trying to control a handful of roofing nails for nailing. Although I do wear the cotton mesh gloves with the rubberized palms when I'm handling drywall or boxes of siding, and for handling and carrying plywood up a ladder. Those will give you a lot of grip and control when you're handling bulky material, and especially for handling the bulky and heavy stuff that's packed in cardboard boxes.

I also find that heavy leather Welding gloves are perfect for when I'm thinning out the Cactus bed that's planted in my yard!

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
I have a friend who was a professional rodeo cowboy. He mainly competed in the timed events like steer wrestling and calf roping. Calf ropers need to protect their hands from rope burn but need to have the dexterity to be able to quickly tie the pigging string. He would wear leather golf gloves. The leather is thin enough to still have a good feel but thick enough to offer protection from rope burn. That was quite awhile ago when he was competing and I think now they actually sell calf roping gloves that are similar to golf gloves.

Renault

One Too Many
My fingers are getting pretty well eaten up by arthritis. One of the reasons I remain in my present occupation so I can keep my fingers nimble. Only gloves I wear is during really cold weather like in hunting season. I wear them ragg wool fingerless gloves. They are only missing the fingertips. So the do help keep the hurting parts warm and relatively pain free.

Back to hats. Considering a M1883 or M1889 campaign hat. But I will only accept a decent quality fur felt. Doesn't havta be top shelf. Just no wool felt. This style of hat fits my lifestyle these days. Don't really need a big hat anymore. Just haven't decided yet. And it will fit my current taste in wardrobe! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld