Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The sombrero was not good. It is velour over cardboard rather than fur felt as I was assured, and will be returned.
That's not good. :(

The green has some bad moth bites, but is a nice Bailey 5x.
I've seen that shade of green but always to small for me.

The purple turned out much better than expected, in a midnight maroon/burgundy versus royal purple. It is a Resistol 4x.
The burgundy hat is intriguing and I'm not sure what I will do with it.
Give it to me and I'll wear it as it is (maybe change the ribbon to something wide and black) ;)

That's a shame about the sombrero as it looks a handsome hat in the pictures. I hope you didn't fork out too much for it. I would imagine one like that in real fur felt would be pretty hard to come by, especially on this side of the fence, and would have a pretty hefty price tag attached.
For the record, I am quite the fan of the elaborately decorated mariachi ones, and I used to have one that I bought from a thrift store that I would occasionally wear out for a night of drinking. It was too small though, and I ended up giving it to a friend who it fit better.

John Galt

Vendor
That's a shame about the sombrero as it looks a handsome hat in the pictures. I hope you didn't fork out too much for it. I would imagine one like that in real fur felt would be pretty hard to come by, especially on this side of the fence, and would have a pretty hefty price tag attached.
For the record, I am quite the fan of the elaborately decorated mariachi ones, and I used to have one that I bought from a thrift store that I would occasionally wear out for a night of drinking. It was too small though, and I ended up giving it to a friend who it fit better.

I thought it was fur felt, and had been looking for one for a while. I love the Tardan sombreros, and was looking for something in real fur felt to work with. My grandmother was a native beader & seamstress, and I learned some beading. I'd like to do some stitch work & beading on something like this, in the style of Tardan. The velour interests me not at all. I wonder if Winchester would make me a raw sombrero hat body...

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Two creases in my new Arnold hatters hat. This hat is almost too cool. Can't find a crease that doesn't look good, but I think I'm going to stick with the Gus. No dents are pictured because my stove blew out and I won't have steam for a few weeks. Wouldn't keep in a dry crease.

John galt, I thought I had seen a hatters website once that makes fur felt sombreros. I can't remember for the life of me who it might have been. On a related note, the hat I should be receiving this week will surely look like a sombrero on my head!
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404826017282.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404826017282.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 169
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404826072934.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404826072934.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 164
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404826098715.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404826098715.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 165
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404826123341.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404826123341.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 168

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I think the Gus crease doesn't work very well as the crown is not high enough.
I think the side dents crease works best.
Overall it looks to be a nice felt and I do like the wide ribbon.

John Galt

Vendor
I like them both. Maybe Fepsa makes sombrero bodies. I'll also call Winchester when I get a chance. It would be fun to do a Tardan style sombrero.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Two creases in my new Arnold hatters hat. This hat is almost too cool. Can't find a crease that doesn't look good, but I think I'm going to stick with the Gus. No dents are pictured because my stove blew out and I won't have steam for a few weeks. Wouldn't keep in a dry crease.

John galt, I thought I had seen a hatters website once that makes fur felt sombreros. I can't remember for the life of me who it might have been. On a related note, the hat I should be receiving this week will surely look like a sombrero on my head!

I think a crease like the hat that Ed Harris wore in "Appaloosa" would look really good on yours. Taller crown, simple Center Dent and no pinch or side dents. The wide ribbon would have to be switched out to a Western style thin ribbon like an OR or a Strat type to look like Harris' hat though. His hat was simple, but it had tons of character in the crown and in the brim....

appaloosapic13.jpg

appaloosa.jpg

Appaloosa_film.jpg

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
Appaloosa is a great movie that harkens back to the good old days of westerns. The gun fight at the end of the movie is very realistic, too. I enjoyed it. I put it up there with the remake of 3:10 to Yuma, Open Range, Lonesome Dove, and Eastwood's Pale Rider and Unforgiven.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That looks great! I haven't seen that film either. Thanks for the feedback-- I was so undecided, I'm going to try the center dent again.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
That looks great! I haven't seen that film either. Thanks for the feedback-- I was so undecided, I'm going to try the center dent again.

Try a Center Dent without a pinch and side dents like the Appaloosa hat and see what you think. Post pics of it if you do that. I'd really be interested to see what your hat looked like that way. The shape of your brim looks nearly identical that hat. I can't tell if your brim is as wide as that one though.

Last edited:

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Appaloosa was such a good movie. The end credits kick off with a fantastic but not well known Tom Petty song "Scare easy" by Tom's other band "Mudcrutch". I freakin' love Tom Petty so that was a total cherry on the cake!

FrankMc

Familiar Face
The latest issue of American Cowboy Magazine has a good story about Hatco, focusing more on their Resistol line of Western Cowboy hats.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Here ya go. Center crease only. Believe it or not, the brim is only 2 7/8". I'm just smaller than Ed Harris.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404934509432.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404934509432.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 160
  • uploadfromtaptalk1404934532723.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404934532723.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 162

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member