Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing of Hats Indoors

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Wear the hat while just sitting inside?

My wife tells me that I tend to wear my Buckaroo hat I had made a lot more than my others, and that she wants me to take it off while I am sitting in our sitting room at night watching tv with her. I also had to take my rent check today to our management office and wore the hat. The landlord mentioned that I liked to wear that hat as he sees me stroll the halls with it on.

I just never knew that I was wearing it that much. When Mike made me that hat, and then I took it in to be reblocked and a new ribbon, I told him it has a warm feeling, feels light, whereas my Stetson feels cold, and with the stiffness due to I guess shellac, stiffy and more 'industrial' or 'business-like'.

So, anyone else just wear their hat without really thinking about it, just sitting inside, doing whatever? I don't know whether it is because it feels good, keeps my head warm, or there must be some sort of proud ownership thing going on.

Ok, enough rumblings and ruminations. I tend to think out loud. I am Memphislawyer and I am an actor (ok, watched the SAG awards and they all said that at the front end of the telecast).

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I do it *all* the time. I'm so used to wearing a hat now that it's just part of my normal way of feeling. In fact, some mornings I choose my hat after I've dressed, and instead of carrying it downstairs, I wear it, and I end up with the hat on my head until I roll into the office. :)

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I admit that I do forget that I have a hat on at times. The longer that I am a hat wearing fellow it seems the easier it is to forget I am wearing one. I have gotten caught wearing a hat after morning chores and sitting inside reading the paper several times, coming into the gym and getting busy and greeting athletes or parents in a hat are more frequent examples.

Photo%20on%202011-11-18%20at%2011.48-S.jpg

Above is a pic of me getting caught, by my wife, reading the paper in the AM whie wearing a hat.

Eric -

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
I wear my hat everywhere, at all times, except at church, and while visiting folks at their houses. Hat etiquette rules have changed somewhat, I believe. Think of how many people wear baseball caps EVERYWHERE and never remove them. Why should a fedora be that much different?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Dude, I live in the Dakota Territory. I don't go outside for like nine months a year, so hat wearing happens indoors a lot...
Short Balding Guy (among others) lives in an even colder climate than I!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've done it a couple of times when trying to mold a hat to my head -- spray some water around the base of the crown, slide it firmly on, and then wear it for a while. And I did that once or twice after a rain shower, leaving the damp hat on my head, in my car when I drove home. But usually I doff my hats once I've checked the mail in the afternoon when I come home, and when I climb into my car.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I wear my hat everywhere, at all times, except at church, and while visiting folks at their houses. Hat etiquette rules have changed somewhat, I believe. Think of how many people wear baseball caps EVERYWHERE and never remove them. Why should a fedora be that much different?

Ah, an idea for a new thread!!

I know, from reading the etiquette rules in a sticky around here, that at a diner, where there is counter service, wearing your hat is acceptable. I also think it acceptable to do so at places where you order at the counter and then go get seated and either they page you to come get your order (Panera Bread) or they bring it to you. Places that are crowded, loud and full of ball caps, like Outback, I tend to take it off as we have an actual waiter/waitress. I wear it on elevators and in public buildings, even the courthouse, but take it off when going into a courtroom. I don't find that I tip my cap very much at all, as most people my age (53 this week) tend to not remember hats being worn, the Kennedy thing and all (LOL).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe