Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VS Oxblood, you asked; here it is.

DRB

One Too Many
Tim, when you wrote that the crown was 6 inches I was imagining a hat with a tall crown, but the hat does not look tall on you at all. I like it.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Benny Holiday said:
I'm not sure if I ought to thank you for making me want one even more Tim. ;) How's that Aussie dollar looking this week? :eek:

As strong as it will get near term...log into paypal...:p

DRB said:
Tim, when you wrote that the crown was 6 inches I was imagining a hat with a tall crown, but the hat does not look tall on you at all. I like it.
I think Tim was refering to the pre-creased, open crown measurement of the crown height...He's taken a good bit of that depth away with that crease & inner tear drop.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
That is a beautiful hat. Stunning. I especially like the edge. Whats that called. Bound-edge? I may have to get that on my next VS.. which will be a while, just got two. one is in the mail, but i really like what Art did with the edge. The binding is not 'too-wide' like i find most edge bindings.

I wonder what your photography secrets are. I have a light tent but I still dont seem to get shots that good. Perhaps its the operator and not the equipment. :)

Musashi said:
.... I especially like the edge. Whats that called. Bound-edge? I may have to get that on my next VS.. which will be a while, just got two. one is in the mail, but i really like what Art did with the edge. The binding is not 'too-wide' like i find most edge bindings.
It looks to be a 4 ligne ribbon edge binding = very subtle.
Here is another example in Art Fawcett Hall of Fame thread...
http://thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=981075&postcount=2352

Photo secret....

I took these pictures at night in my work shop. I have a Blue Max desk lamp, it's bulb covers the spectrum... It lights up a 5 foot work bench nicely. It is adjustable from dim to bright. It's a great light.

At night, and after playing with light settings and digital camara's shutter speeds and getting all kinds funky looking colors, none like the hats true color I finally dimmed the light all the way, set up a tripod and a used a shutter speed that remained open for about 3 seconds and that was the ticket. IF you would have been here, witnessed this and saw the very little light that was on the hat, and in the room; you would have said NO DAMM WAY. I could barely see, that's no lie. But after the first shot, I was stoked!! The color and clairity was superb. I proceed to take the remainder of the shots.

But like I said...I seriously took at least 150 shots until I captured this, which BTW, and I think Art agrees, the color is an extreamly precise representation of the body color and ribbon treatment.

I may have missed my calling....lol

Tim

Musashi said:
That is a beautiful hat. Stunning. I especially like the edge. Whats that called. Bound-edge? I may have to get that on my next VS.. which will be a while, just got two. one is in the mail, but i really like what Art did with the edge. The binding is not 'too-wide' like i find most edge bindings.

I wonder what your photography secrets are. I have a light tent but I still dont seem to get shots that good. Perhaps its the operator and not the equipment. :)

Nice pics-extra effort

Thank you Art...:D

I just could not bring myself to post pictures which were not as fine as the hat itself.

It's a great Fedora Art, thank you for telling me about the Oxblood; I am glad to have gone this route for body color on this purchase.

Tim

Art Fawcett said:
Very nice pics Tim, Thanks for making the extra effort

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Cane Rod Maker said:
IF you would have been here, witnessed this and saw the very little light that was on the hat, and in the room; you would have said NO DAMM WAY. I could barely see, that's no lie. But after the first shot, I was stoked!! The color and clairity was superb. I proceed to take the remainder of the shots.

I actually totally believe it. 3 seconds is enough time to get a lot of light gathered. As long as everything remains perfectly still it SHOULD work well. I will have to give this approach a try! Thanks for the tips!

Pompidou

One Too Many
It's funny - I look at the felt samples from Art, and they're classy, albeit a bit subdued. I see photos of Art hats and the colors are vibrant. It's amazing how much the intensity of the light affects the color. I like the Oxblood presented here. I like the deep purple of it. Of the samples I got, the brightest felt in the red/purple color spectrum was cabernet, and was my choice accordingly, but after this thread, I can see an oxblood and a forest green (another one I'm being drawn to) in my future. My mother picked cabernet and a girl I'm friends with agreed, so cabernet it is, but I do like that oxblood.

Any time !

You're welcome. You're right, keeping still is the key, no freehand shots here with a 3 second shutter......I tried...looked like the hat was moving a hundred miles and hour. I have a mini tripod, cost a few bucks only....works great for this. Wish you well on your next photo session.

Tim

Musashi said:
I actually totally believe it. 3 seconds is enough time to get a lot of light gathered. As long as everything remains perfectly still it SHOULD work well. I will have to give this approach a try! Thanks for the tips!

2 good choices

Glad you like the Oxblood. I also have a VS Sportiare, you got to love the dark green! You have 2 good choices lined up...:eusa_clap

Pompidou said:
It's funny - I look at the felt samples from Art, and they're classy, albeit a bit subdued. I see photos of Art hats and the colors are vibrant. It's amazing how much the intensity of the light affects the color. I like the Oxblood presented here. I like the deep purple of it. Of the samples I got, the brightest felt in the red/purple color spectrum was cabernet, and was my choice accordingly, but after this thread, I can see an oxblood and a forest green (another one I'm being drawn to) in my future. My mother picked cabernet and a girl I'm friends with agreed, so cabernet it is, but I do like that oxblood.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe