Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

JayGatsby

New in Town
This weeks soda is an old classic, Bubble Up, sadly now gone or so deep in 7UPs shadow that it is practically forgotten. If any one of you remember it I would love a comment :)

11558_bu1.jpg

My father brought home a display bottle of Bubble Up a long time ago. That is, there's no gas, it's just a liquid. (Water? Isoproypl Alcohol?) I'll have to ask him where he got it. I want to say a thrift store... Nice to see someones keeping track of all these old sodas.

Something that has disappeared, knowledge of the past!

We were talking about old TV shows, Fred and I. He's 55 and was talking about the shows he liked growing up. Gilligans Island, Bonanza, Andy Griffith, etc, etc.

While we were discussing the Lawrence Welk Show, Jesse, guy my age, was listening to us and didn't know what we were talking about. So, I pulled out my best impression "Ah-wunnerful, wunnerful, tonite-ah we have ah show featuring Myron Floren on da accordion playing da Double Eagle March-ah and the dancing of ah Bobby and-ah Sissy, anna one anna two..." To which he replied, I didn't listen to the radio as a kid. Clearly, he still was lost. I grew up with this stuff, we had 5 channels on the Arial. You watched PBS and PBS on Saturday had Lawrence Welk, Antiques Roadshow, and Keeping Up Appearances.

Thank God a bit of my faith in my generation was restored when Aric, also my age, told me he was watching Gomer Pyle USMC before work. I coulda hugged him! I always feel like the only one of my generation with any knowledge of anything that happened before The Backstreet Boys.

rue

That's true.... My kids know about all the old music and movies, because of me, but almost all of their friends have no idea. When I was little they used to play all the black and white movies on TV and they had radio stations that still played Big Band, so we knew about all of it. I think hearing and seeing it ended with the generation after mine when cable TV came out and oldies turned into 60s music. Before that you watched one of three or four channels and the radio didn't have but maybe 5 stations.

I remember Dad having us get up to change the channel (not a dial TV, just lost the remote a lot) and also having us get up to adjust the rabbit ears so we could get the Milwaukee Channels. You know, I would hate it now, but there is some great memories in there haha.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thank God a bit of my faith in my generation was restored when Aric, also my age, told me he was watching Gomer Pyle USMC before work. I coulda hugged him! I always feel like the only one of my generation with any knowledge of anything that happened before The Backstreet Boys.

Reminds me of the last huge antique fair I went to, and at one of the stands was a lunchbox with Ben Casey on it, which two middle aged gents were admiring. I said "Look, Dad, it's Ben Casey" and the two men stared at me with eyes like saucers. Once they were able to speak, they rambled on about how they couldn't BELIEVE someone my age would know who Ben Casey was - I mean, they just COULDN'T believe it. :rolleyes:

Milk cartons that actually you opened from the side, not a cap on the top of the lid.
Remember 'please open other side of carton'?

LD

We still have them for milk cartons, but not as much for juice anymore. Almost everyone gets their milk in bags here.

I remember the mini ones we'd get on pizza or hot dog days in elementary school. Some kid always opened it too fast, or wrenched it too hard, and milk would go flying lol

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I buy Lactaid milk in the quart carton not just because of the lactose-intolerance thing but also because it's the only milk that doesn't have that dopey cap on it.

I've seen those Canadian milk bags, and they horrify me. One well placed cat claw, and it's all she wrote.

I miss the milk cartons that were covered with about two pounds of paraffin wax, and had a little hinged flip-top stopper for pouring.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've seen those Canadian milk bags, and they horrify me. One well placed cat claw, and it's all she wrote.

They are surprisingly impervious to cat claws (I speak from experience.) What you have to worry about more is cutting the little hole in the corner too big, or not fitting it properly in the holder. The bag sort of flops over and milk goes gushing everywhere when this happens.

DNO

One Too Many
The bag sort of flops over and milk goes gushing everywhere when this happens.

I love it when that happens. It's also fun when you open a new bag that's lying on its side in the fridge and out gushes a litre of milk because...surprise!... one of the bags managed to get punctured.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
What is the purpose of putting milk in bags..??

Just a different way of doing things, I suppose :) It does make it infinitely harder for teenage boys to wrap their lips around the opening and guzzle it, like they are fond of doing with cartons and 2 litre pop bottles.

I love it when that happens. It's also fun when you open a new bag that's lying on its side in the fridge and out gushes a litre of milk because...surprise!... one of the bags managed to get punctured.

Isn't that fun? It also enlightens you to how sticky milk can become when it touches hard surfaces like the floor.

And I imagine practically everything else. That's what I hate about modern packaging -- it's often better made than the product! It seems like even the thinnest plastic wrap cannot be opened without a knife or scissors anymore.

That's a conspiracy. They know how hungry you are or how much you need the product inside, and they want to play with your brain.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you think milk in a bag is rough, soda syrup and popcorn oil in bags is even more hazardous. Even though the bag comes in a sturdy box, one misplaced bump or kick or drop or cut and you've got the spreadin'est mess you'll ever see.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I remember Simba

simba1.jpg

I remember it, too. The bottle I remember, though, is nothing like the bottles I've found pictures of. The bottles of my memory had the lion and a scene from the African veldt, but not printed on; it was molded into the glass. It wasn't as slim as the bottle in this photo, either. My dad took some empty bottles and cut the upper part off using glass cutters, then sanded the top edge until it was rounded and smooth to make glasses out of them. We thought they were cool!

Cheers,
Tom

I miss "service stations".
As a kid, I remember pulling in, hearing the ding-ding when your car rolled over the black "snakes" running across the ground, and a guy with a uniform (usually) asking to "check the oil?" and clean your windows. Only time you got out was to use the bathroom and buy a snack - if they had any - and they war usually vending machines then.
Always wanted to recreate one of those - I can't help but feel people would line up for that. Or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe