Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Suitings: Discussions of, and sourcing modern equivalents, etc.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Well, I thought it would be around 22 oz or so.

it would. the H.E. BOX stuff might be good for upholstery, but not for trousers.

this is quickly becoming my must-find fabric.. same as the French above, but in grey:

KGrHqFqcFGlFI-ITVBRwDuFGLg60_57_zps48ab6a6e.jpg

Barmey

One of the Regulars
I've got a pair of 30s bedford cord riding breeches made by Mans Shop - Selfridges. Practically stand up on the own. Think the moths have broken their teeth on them :D

I did some work experiance at Kilgour with one of the only cutters on Savile Row still able to cut a good pair of breeches. Challenging myself to give breeches making a go soon. Better finish my other projects first though :/

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hmm... according to google 'coutil' is a herringbone cotton used in corsetry. :eusa_doh:
I got this word from the "Vintage Showroom" book and the Mr FCC blog. From page 75:
"The fabric is pique or coutil, as it is known in France; this is a dry, extrastrong variant of corduroy with flatter nap, also commonly used for french hunting and work trousers, not to mention to hold boning in place in corsetry. This fabric was able to withstand hard wear and contact with tough undergrowth alike."

And Mr FCC does mention it here:
http://fcancan.blogspot.de/2010/09/30s-french-style-work-hunting.html

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
HBK: Thanks for the Bedford cord samples. I compared then to my old trousers (now worn out). I think they are the same weight. The trousers were super heavy but became very comfortable after a few washes. They were warm, but never too warm in winter. I would certainly use the 32oz cloth for trousers. It's wonderful stuff.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
more fabric similar to the French cord above; this one apparently from a German fireman's uniform, 1920s:

German_20s_fire_zps611c306b.jpg

(edit: actually, the weave looks closer to Bedford cord !)

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
With summer upon us, I was wondering if anyone knows what weights of seersucker and linen were used in the 30s and 40s?

can't give you an actual weight, but i have a white linen NRA label suit which is heavier than modern linen i've found (with the exception of some 'vintage' effect linen), however different rules apply to linen than wool and i wouldn't worry about going lighter if i liked the 'feel' of the fabric.

i made some glen-check linen trousers which are very lightweight and work perfectly well for very hot weather. they don't 'drape' like wool but i don't think that is to be expected of linen. it has different qualities. bottom line; if you fancy a light as paper seersucker or linen for summer then go for it.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
I've got a few samples of the LL Flannels. I think they're great and would quite happily order a suit length of each if they weren't £100 a meter. Can only hope the iGents dont see their appeal and that Fox bros start selling them off cheap ;) The only critisism the HBK and myself could find was that they had a slight shinny finish you sometimes find on modern flannel.
Talking to one of the cutters on Savile Row, he told me that when cloth came out of the mills in Huddersfield back in the day, it had a similar finish. Alot of the West End firms didn't like it so it was taken to the London Shrinking Houses to be hand shrunk. This gave the cloth a certain firmness, but nice soft looking finish.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/london-shrinking-house

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
(edit: actually, the weave looks closer to Bedford cord !)

It reminds me of the cotton, rather than woollen, Bedford Cord. It appears similar to the fabric used by Levis in the 1990s when they made jackets in a variety of shades (I have a grey jacket from that period in a very similar weave).

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Today at a fleamarket in deepest Bavaria I found 3.5 meters of this superb Dutch suit fabric - navy blue herringbone with red and white stripes.
SAM_5111.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
HBK: check your email. Great timing. Two minutes before I saw this post, I emailed you the contact details for the company who made the jackets for Bookster. They should be able to point you in the direction for the correct mill.

hatband

One of the Regulars
Great pity about Bookster. I bought quite a lot from them, 3 waistcoats, grey Fox Flannel 3 piece, and several pairs of trousers. I always found them great to deal with.

Any ideas as to other on line tailors who deal in tweed?

Thought I might try Old Town next time, or Darcy Clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe