Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not really vintage inspired clothing but I bought this very cute reproduction bar pin with dangling red glass cherries and green leaves. A reproduction of a pin from the 30's. I got it from an ebay seller, but she does have a website from which she sells from. I'm very happy with the pin I got from her and she has a lot of other very cute accessories. She also shipped them to me quite quickly. She uses Czech glass beads and fruit as well as bakelite. I guess she purchased an entire lot of many different glass beads and bakelite from a store that went out of business, so she's using them to recreate jewelery from the 30's and 40's.

I also found this other site Iva Rose, not sure if this is mentioned anywhere else. I haven't gone through her entire site just yet, but it looks like she is reproducing vintage books, catalogs and patterns. From what I've seen so far she has some pretty cool stuff, and her prices aren't bad either:)

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Warning to the tall ladies: I purchased the pink Target dress with the matching belt that is shown above. It is an adorable dress, to be sure. Just be aware: the waist of the dress won't hit at your waist. Mine hits me around my lower rib cage. Because of that, I don't get a defined waist and I think it makes me look a bit thick around the middle.

So, what I am going to do is try to find a wide white belt. If I get a wide belt and wear it around my actual waist, I am hoping that the width will hide the waist seam. At the moment if I wear the belt around my actual waist, the dress looks odd with the seam up above the belt by 2 inches. Or, if the seam shows, maybe it will just show at the top of the belt, and will look like it is supposed to be there. I will report how my disgusing goes :)

lindylady

A-List Customer
GoldLeaf said:
Warning to the tall ladies: I purchased the pink Target dress with the matching belt that is shown above. It is an adorable dress, to be sure. Just be aware: the waist of the dress won't hit at your waist. Mine hits me around my lower rib cage. Because of that, I don't get a defined waist and I think it makes me look a bit thick around the middle.

So, what I am going to do is try to find a wide white belt. If I get a wide belt and wear it around my actual waist, I am hoping that the width will hide the waist seam. At the moment if I wear the belt around my actual waist, the dress looks odd with the seam up above the belt by 2 inches. Or, if the seam shows, maybe it will just show at the top of the belt, and will look like it is supposed to be there. I will report how my disgusing goes :)

I had the exact same problem when I tried on that pink dress, Goldleaf. Here was a nice 50s-type shirtwaist dress that was the right length, but hit at the wrong place at my waist :eusa_doh: Just glad I'm not the only one who ran into this problem.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
That also happens to me a lot because I have a large bust, which takes up more of the fabric than most designers anticipate.

ugh, ME TOO!

i have to admit i was ECSTATIC when longer tanks and tops came into style a couple years ago (i don't dress vintage on a daily basis)!

Kim_B

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
ugh, ME TOO!

i have to admit i was ECSTATIC when longer tanks and tops came into style a couple years ago (i don't dress vintage on a daily basis)!

...me three! I have to buy clothes that are about 1.5-2 sizes too large every where else just to fit across the bust!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Count me in that number too. I got my Boden dress in the longer size and even then the waist was still fractionally higher than it should have been. and when I finally do get a bust it means that the dresses I own that I've been just about getting away with till now will become even higher in the waist! I had the same wider belt idea as GoldLeaf, now if only I could find one I like! They are all either about a foot wide and/or elastic or made to be worn low on the hips and therefore have about a foot of extra belt coming out when done up around the waist!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Patent Belts!

I know someone was asking about belts not too long ago. Target has some patent leather ones for about $15. They are about an inch and a half wide and have the buckle covered in matching patent. My Target had them in red and black, but online they also have white. They're a little more 50s than other periods, but they're pretty cute.
I'm not sure if they are cut for hips or waist, so you might want to try one on before buying!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Alright, I'm looking for an opinion here more than anything? Just -how- repro does this dress appear?
2b548fu2.jpg

I mean, is it glaringly obviously, and people would think it looks like just a cheap imitation(even though the price is quite otherwise lol ), or does it look quality? I personally have loved it for the longest time, but now I actually have the funds to go ahead and get it, but I'm second guessing myself. :( :eek: [huh]

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
I think it looks lovely, and no, it does not look like a cheap knock-off. Not from that pic.

However, you do need to have a close look at it to see how well the detailing has been done. Have they got close-up pics? Is there a good returns policy?

Let's face it, if you want a dress of that era in that good of condition you will have to pay mega loads and they will be near impossible to find. I think a repro is your best option anyways, and at least you can buy it in your size.

I'd check out the returns policy first and then decide. But yeah I think it's nice. Where is it from?

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I don't have an educated eye, but I think it is beautiful, and doesn't look cheap from that picture. I agree, it would be the details that would make it. Alot of modern machine embroidery unravels easily because they leave the tails hanging out. That would be my big thing.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LadyStardust said:
Alright, I'm looking for an opinion here more than anything? Just -how- repro does this dress appear?
2b548fu2.jpg

I mean, is it glaringly obviously, and people would think it looks like just a cheap imitation(even though the price is quite otherwise lol ), or does it look quality? I personally have loved it for the longest time, but now I actually have the funds to go ahead and get it, but I'm second guessing myself. :( :eek: [huh]

If I'm not mistaken that is a Nataya dress?? I have about 5 of them, and I love each and every one of them. They are very well made. Of course the fabric is more modern, but they fit great. I have always gotten compliments every time I wear one of mine. Her dresses all have an Edwardian to 20's look to them, they are great interpretations of vintage dresses. I'm very happy with mine and get a lot of use out of them especially during the warmer months.

Shearer

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
I know someone was asking about belts not too long ago. Target has some patent leather ones for about $15. They are about an inch and a half wide and have the buckle covered in matching patent. My Target had them in red and black, but online they also have white. They're a little more 50s than other periods, but they're pretty cute.
I'm not sure if they are cut for hips or waist, so you might want to try one on before buying!

Danke, Joie!
I was moaning about belts not too long ago on some other thread. I stumbled across some at Wal Mart the other day (Wal Mart, I know I've said some bad things about you, but you come through in a pinch :D ) that were patent leather... seems like they might have been 2" wide... also in black and red. And they also had some long chiffon sash belts that would work for day dresses. Most of my dress is 50s, so this all helps me greatly.

But now to find a skinny, navy blue patent leather belt :eusa_doh:

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
You're most welcome Shearer.

Those sash-belts from Wal-mart sound good. I may have to take a peek! Thank you!

(And I know, navy patent seems nearly impossible to find doesn't it??) :mad:

Kim_B

Practically Family
Torrid is having a 50% off sale today through 4/22.

This dress is only available in a 12:
513044_hi.jpg

And this skirt is available in 12, 14, 16:
564135_hi.jpg

There are other items too, but these are the two I'm getting :) I've had my eye on these for a while now, but I am not about to drop $60 on a dress (yes, I'm frugal...I'm proud of that!) They have some cute vintagey shoes (be warned - they run wide/large).

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Kim_B said:
...me three! I have to buy clothes that are about 1.5-2 sizes too large every where else just to fit across the bust!

Big busted women...Unite!!!
Sorry, had to to it! That's me also. Or I have to buy a bit larger because of my upper arms, dratted things. I was just thinking the other day that they need to make foundation garments for the arms. lol

Kim_B

Practically Family
pretty faythe said:
Big busted women...Unite!!!
Sorry, had to to it! That's me also. Or I have to buy a bit larger because of my upper arms, dratted things. I was just thinking the other day that they need to make foundation garments for the arms. lol

Ooh, yes me too! Hmm...maybe we should invent something, become filthy-stinkin' rich and then have a hey-day buying things up on the Bay! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe