Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
LadyStardust said:
2b548fu2.jpg

That's the dress I'm wearing in my avatar, only in a different color of course ;) . I love it and get compliments every time I wear it.

I say, go for it!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Kim_B said:
Hehe, I was thinking of getting one of those shirts too! My only problem is with the banded sleeves - my chubby little arms really struggle with those! lol

Kim - I'm wearing the Chadwick's puff sleeved blouse right now and the banded sleeves are big enough for my arms, they're quite comfy in fact. I think we wear about the same size too. (I think you mentioned awhile back that you had to buy the Target shirtdress in a XXL - so did I.) I have the same problems with banded sleeves usually being too tight on my arms, but the Chadwick's blouse is fine on me.

Also, I just bought two nice puff-sleeved blouses from JC Penney when they had their buy one, get another for 88 cents sale. Their puff-sleeved blouses look almost identical to the Chadwick's blouse but the banded sleeve has a little smocked elastic insert on the underarm part of the band that completely eliminates the too tight sleeve dilema. It's genius - I wish more shirt makers would do this!

The puff-sleeved blouse has become my work clothing staple as of late because it's so hot in my office - all I can stand to wear is short-sleeved cotton shirts.

Kim_B

Practically Family
BeBopBaby, thanks so much for letting me know! Since I got a new job, I have been on the hunt for some nicer blouses and shirts to wear with my pencil skirts! I will definitely have to check these out! :D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I came across a seller on ebay who has a ton of very cute vintage, mostly 50's, inspired dresses. Some are Buy it Now, others are auctions. She also has a clearance section. I'm not sure if you ladies are aware of her, so I thought I'd let you know. Check her out, she's got a ton of great dresses that are perfect for summer. Her store name is shop-boom-boom and her seller name is MissBombshell. This isn't the same lady who makes the pants, at least I don't think it is. I think her seller name is similar. The green dress is an eyelet fabric, but the red is not. However, the price on the green dress has been going up, 17 bids and still over a day left before the end of the auction. So, price might end up being the deciding factor for me. I think I'll bid on which ever one is less expensive. But I do love the eyelet fabric. I think I might email her to see if she has the red in the eyelet. She has a few other auctions for the same dress that haven't gone up yet, so I might just pass on the first auction and keep my eye on the others. Hopefully the price won't go as high. It's not super expensive, but it's frustrating to spend that kind of money on a dress when the same dress in a different color is being sold BIN for nearly half the price. I also know the quality of modern dresses, and even though I'll put out money for a well made vintage dress, it's tough to put out the same kind of money for a new dress that was made in some sweatshop over seas. Maybe if it was made in the USA, or if the people overseas who worked their fingers to the bone to make the dress and actually got paid for it, I wouldn't mind spending the money on it. OK, I'm totally getting off track here. What else is new:D
What do you ladies think?? Here's a few other dresses that she has that I thought were very cute...
81185REDA.JPG

63364GRNA.JPG

I want this one too! I love the cute breast pockets and the color:) It's BIN for $39.99 Not bad at all!
16666PNKA.JPG

R7144BLKA.JPG

SD3298WHTA.JPG
656NVYA.JPG

60530WHTA.JPG
3098REDA.JPG

anabolina

A-List Customer
Kim_B said:
I know Torrid was mentioned a while back, but I was just checking their site tonight and found this dress, kind of vintage-looking...

http://www.torrid.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&M=1019156661&RN=970&ITEM=551994
551994_hi.jpg

Actually, as I'm looking through the site, there are a lot of pencil skirts, and rockabilly-looking tops to choose from too. Might be worth checking out, if you're like me and have a hard time finding vintage or VI clothing that fits well.

I was browsing ans stopped off at the site. They has a 'Pretty in Pin-Up' collection that has some seriously cute dresses and shirt. I really like the red rose earings too.
http://www.torrid.com/community/pretty_in_pinup.asp?LS=0

Sunny

One Too Many
I received a Chadwick's catalog last night. They arrive about once a week and seem pretty much the same for a month or two, so I turned to the back pages to leaf through on the way to the recycle box. Guess what I saw!

This weskit could come straight off a New Look sewing pattern if the shoulders were wider. That deep U-shaped neckline is very distinctive. It's even fitted to the natural waist.

High-waisted skirt. This is the antithesis of the hip-hugging uniformity that's ruled for so long.

If this one wasn't a knit (cop-out!) and had something more interesting on the shoulders/sleeves, it would be straight out of the late 1930's. The draped midriff and pleated skirt are classic.

This dress is gorgeous. I can't say enough about it. Once again, many mid- to late-1930s details. They even call it the "Vintage-Look Dress." Front shoulder yokes, with gathering underneath. The description says there is a yoke in back as well; I'd wager with gathering, too. A crossover front (okay, a little more 1940s there) that's not hanging open to the waist, and is even clearly fastened together. The use of smocking on the sleeves; at the elbow instead of the more-typical sleeve head, but still, it's there. A long sleeve - a full bishop sleeve - perfectly period. A sash. Even the length is nice for the late 1930s. Yes, stretch polyester; but it looks like silk! Solid-colored trim that's not matchy-matchy. Stripes! Splendid 1930s green! I'm in awe. :eusa_clap

The rest of the new summer arrivals can be seen here.

lindylady

A-List Customer
anabolina said:
I was browsing ans stopped off at the site. They has a 'Pretty in Pin-Up' collection that has some seriously cute dresses and shirt. I really like the red rose earings too.
http://www.torrid.com/community/pretty_in_pinup.asp?LS=0

I was at Torrid earlier this week and was quite pleased with the fit of their dresses. They are cut with some room in the bust, but still avoid sagging. I'm tall, and the dresses still hit below my knees. For the first time, I was able to purchase a strapless dress that fit on the spot. No need for alterations, pins, nada! Needless to say, I will be shopping there more often!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
that's funny, because i can't wear ANYTHING in torrid despite technically fitting into their sizes. i think my frame is too small! i know a ton of gals who buy everything there though, and they all look fantastic.

too big for forever 21, too small for torrid... what's a girl to do?? :rolleyes:

lindylady

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
that's funny, because i can't wear ANYTHING in torrid despite technically fitting into their sizes. i think my frame is too small! i know a ton of gals who buy everything there though, and they all look fantastic.

too big for forever 21, too small for torrid... what's a girl to do?? :rolleyes:

Hmm, have you tried stores that carry larger sizes, but are not exactly geared toward plus sized women? It's possible that you may have different proportions on your smaller frame. Ann Taylor stores, for example, have clothes that go up to size 18, but I've noticed that the bust and hips in that size are smaller, not typical of the measurements you'd find in a size 18 at Torrid or Lane Bryant. The latter stores' clothing is cut for women who are full figured all over, I think. [huh]

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks again to DimeADance for recommending GoJane. I got the wide leg pants, as mentioned in another thread, but I also got 2 very cute dresses that I'm very happy with. There sizes do run small, so I opted to get the largest size they offer.
I'm so incredibly happy with this red and white shirtwaist dress. I have to wear a minimizing bra, for it is a bit snug in the bust, but the rest of the dress fits like a dream. It's made of a very soft cotton, and for a dress of this price, it's very well made. I haven't washed it yet, but it seems like it will hold up in the washer. Also, it has an elastic band waist, which is nice because it helps with the fit. This dress has a real vintage inspired look. I wore it last night with red peep toe wedges, white vintage accessories, basically all the right vintage acoutrements and Hemingway Jones thought that the dress was actually vintage. Also another great thing about this is the length. A lot of junior size dresses are very short, but this falls about 2.5 inches below my knee. I'm on the shorter side, so everything is usually long on me, but I think gals who are taler than me could easily wear this dress.
I think this might be my favorite VI dress. Also, the skirt of the dress has the perfect amount of fullness. Just the right amount of swing, so it'll look good on the dance floor. The only thing is, the ribbon belt is attached. But, I was able to easily remove it so I could add different belts to change the look a bit. I really like the ribbon, and will wear it with the dress, but I like to have the option of mixing things up a bit.
Well, here's what I got from GoJane:

Costanzo Dress
gojane_1949_21308225

Claremont Dress
gojane_1948_62313267

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Daisy, that dress is absolutely stunning! What a great find! Can you post pictures of yourself in it? I bet it looked like a dream on you with your smart accessorizing to boot!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Ladies! This shirt:

2142_37355_mm.jpg

is $24 at Chadwicks.com.

Almost the exact same shirt is $10.77 at Wal-Mart. I bought the pink stripe one. They have pink stripe, blue stripe, white and a cute floral print. Just FYI. ;)

klara

One of the Regulars
Just thought I should let you ladies know that the cute costanzo dress from gojane that Daisy Buchanan posted, is on sale for $22. :)

Shearer

Practically Family
H&M

H&M has got theses vintage looking western shirts for cheap now... well, everything in H&M is pretty cheap. The Ikea of the clothing world :D

DSCN1112.jpg

I also got a black, linen-like trumpet skirt, but don't have a pic of it.

As for the sizing... I'm not really sure. My sister is a 4 and swears she takes a 6 there. But the top I got is an 8 (which is a little tight in the bust and a little loose otherwise)... my skirt is a 6 (8 would be too big and I didn't get a chance to try on the 4). So long story short, I guess it would be best to try stuff on in the store since it seems like they aren't very true to size or consistent [huh]

Anyway the only annoying thing about H&M is that there's no online US shopping.

klara

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
[huh] [huh] Typical that I didn't get it at that price[huh] [huh]

See it from the bright side, now you can get the black version as well ;)

I got the dress a couple of days ago and Daisy Buchanan is right, it's a great dress! But being 5.6 feet I think the dress has a short bodice, although it can easily be hidden by a wide belt. So, once again Daisy I wanna thank you for showing us that beautiful dress.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Wal-Mart of all places had these awesome little Sailor Pants in White and Navy. They are available online, but have limited sizes. I am heading to the store this weekend to check them out. Sorry if this is old news; I've put myself on a buying hiatus :D

0068934270217_215X215.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe