Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They're hoping to be getting the parts in hand this week, and will probably pull the engine next week -- I already had the transmission out for the clutch job, so that's sitting in the trunk. One less thing for them to do. They tell me they ought to have the overhaul done in December sometime, depending on how much of a mess the cylinders are, so hopefully I'll have it back by Christmas.

This is the outfit doing the work -- Columbia Classic Cars. They seem to have a pretty good reputation, and were the closest place to here willing to take on the work. I suspect my car is a bit proletarian compared to what they usually handle, so it should be a pretty easy job.

Story

I'll Lock Up
The popularity of the reproduction Mustang body shells, including one for the 1965 Mustang Convertible and another for the ’67 model, has prompted Ford to approve yet another reproduction of one of its most cherished models, this time a 1940 Ford Coupe hot rod. Like the previous Mustang reproductions, the new Ford Coupe comes just as a shell, either with its doors and hood attached or without them should the customer desire.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/10/26/ford-unveils-new-140-coupe/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2AjFOjWfj

Rathdown

Practically Family
I would suggest that buying at auction is not really the best way to buy a collector car. Last week a 1949 MGTC sold at auction for $39,300 including taxes and buyer's premium. On the open market that should buy an excellent, properly restored TC, but this car had a number of issues that would take about $5000 to rectify. Paint was a "5-footer" and the mechanical condition was totally unknown. As a driver quality car it would rate about $27,000 in today's market, if the mechanicals were strong.

Unless you've got large bucks to spend, and the car you want just isn't available outside of the auction circuit, I'd suggest you check out Hemmings' Motor News, and the on-line sites Pre-War Classics and Post-War Classics. And don't buy anything you haven't driven for at least 30 minutes, or at least 30 miles, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Not overly vintage, but my Cadillac car is going to be seeing some work, after I almost died in the sang thing yesterday.

Needs new idler and pitman arms and the left wheel bearing is shot. Front end parts take a beating around here. I'm constantly replacing ball joints and the like. My dad test drove the car and compared it to 'driving on ice.'

He called to get parts while I was at work today and our friend at the Chevy dealership said that he couldn't get the part, because they're no longer a Cadillac dealer. He gave us the number of a friend at a Cadillac Dealership in Milwaukee and he told Dad "Why don't you just buy a new car?" After some search, we got all the parts for $53.00. Who gets a new car over 53 bucks in parts?

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Not overly vintage, but my Cadillac car is going to be seeing some work, after I almost died in the sang thing yesterday.

Needs new idler and pitman arms and the left wheel bearing is shot. Front end parts take a beating around here. I'm constantly replacing ball joints and the like. My dad test drove the car and compared it to 'driving on ice.'

He called to get parts while I was at work today and our friend at the Chevy dealership said that he couldn't get the part, because they're no longer a Cadillac dealer. He gave us the number of a friend at a Cadillac Dealership in Milwaukee and he told Dad "Why don't you just buy a new car?" After some search, we got all the parts for $53.00. Who gets a new car over 53 bucks in parts?

I'm glad you found the parts you needed, and also for a good price. I imagine that you and your family have some experience driving on snow and ice. And I'm sure you do a better job than these loons!

[video=youtube;PNlQXHoQ6kc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNlQXHoQ6kc[/video]

Cads ain't cheap to keep up. I know. :p Everything on them expensive to replace. :p
If you can get the parts and replace them yourself then you are ahead of the game.

I would suggest that buying at auction is not really the best way to buy a collector car. Last week a 1949 MGTC sold at auction for $39,300 including taxes and buyer's premium. On the open market that should buy an excellent, properly restored TC, but this car had a number of issues that would take about $5000 to rectify. Paint was a "5-footer" and the mechanical condition was totally unknown. As a driver quality car it would rate about $27,000 in today's market, if the mechanicals were strong.

Unless you've got large bucks to spend, and the car you want just isn't available outside of the auction circuit, I'd suggest you check out Hemmings' Motor News, and the on-line sites Pre-War Classics and Post-War Classics. And don't buy anything you haven't driven for at least 30 minutes, or at least 30 miles, whichever comes first.

Good advice. You have definitely been there.

The reason I bought a Fleetwood, is because mechanically, it's a Chevy Caprice. If you can cross-reference the parts, you can save some scratch.

Cads ain't cheap to keep up. I know. :p Everything on them expensive to replace. :p
If you can get the parts and replace them yourself then you are ahead of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe