Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Try the Stude out. It may have adequate power if all you want is to cruise around town. Don't bother buying if you want to swap engines. You will waste your time and money and end up with a car that is not only unsatisfactory to drive, but also worth less than when you started.

If you want a V8 car, buy a V8 car.

Said the restorer to the hot rodder. ;)

Actually, if this were a '51 I'd be really interested in the Studillac conversion, as those cars were already set up to accommodate the Stude V8, which is similar. The '50 Champ, it seems, is a far more primitive creature that only willingly accommodates a straight six, so now I'm thinking twin-carb '55 engine (185 ci versus 170) with a Bill Cathert aluminum head. :D

years ago I worked in a garage and the owner was a big Stude nut. He was in the club and all that. I helped him rod an old bulletnose with a later V8 stude mill, 259 I think. Those old Studebakers were fairly light cars despite looking so bulky, and with that 8 in it, it moved pretty quick. The later 50s Hawks, it must be remembered, were offered as an alternative to the early 'vettes. They, along with corvettes, were some of the earliest f.i. cars. Studebaker was way ahead of the curve technologically for the time

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
years ago I worked in a garage and the owner was a big Stude nut. He was in the club and all that. I helped him rod an old bulletnose with a later V8 stude mill, 259 I think. Those old Studebakers were fairly light cars despite looking so bulky, and with that 8 in it, it moved pretty quick. The later 50s Hawks, it must be remembered, were offered as an alternative to the early 'vettes. They, along with corvettes, were some of the earliest f.i. cars. Studebaker was way ahead of the curve technologically for the time

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

It wasn't this guy, was it?

Stock_years.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I wonder how it compares with my flathead Rambler.

Probably about the same. Studebaker Champion (and later Lark) were selling to the same market as the Rambler six. They were the earliest compacts, years before Falcon, Corvair, Valiant, Chevy II and so on jumped on the band wagon.

rjb1

Practically Family
Does anyone remember George Carlin's comedy routine about other drivers? They are either idiots or maniacs. Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot: "Why can't that idiot get out of the way?" Anyone driving faster (and passing you) is a maniac: "Did you see that maniac?"

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I posted this picture in the "Vintage Photo" thread but didn't get an answer to my question, so sorry for the cross post. This thread, however, is much more active, so I thought I'd try here.

This is my cousin (second cousin to be exact), D.A. Grayson. The photo was taken on the Catawba River dam on Lake James in McDowell County, NC. I know D.A. worked for a while at Marion Motors, the local Ford dealership in Marion, NC (that's their logo on the front of the car. I'd be interested in knowing about when the photo was taken. I'm guessing the car in the photo was new when the photo was taken, so anyone know the model year of this Ford?

Thanks in advance.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Folks,

I was driving my D-11 into work this morning and when I was about a mile away from my office, I heard a grinding like the car jumped out of gear (I was in 3rd gear coasting down a long hill and had been for about a mile - clutch out, no gas). I immediately tossed in the clutch (which had normal pressure), pulled off the road and tried to put it into gear and had no issues getting it into first, second and third. I drove it the rest of the way to my office primarily in 3rd but did have to use 1st and 2nd to get moving. When I pulled into my office I tossed in the clutch to take it out of gear and noticed that the clutch was almost fully depressed with little movement. I was able to get it out of gear with no issues and the clutch will pull out easily with the toe of my shoe.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened?

I have about a 35 mile drive back home this afternoon and I would much rather get it home than pay for a tow charge from here back to the house.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
HeyMoe,

I'm afraid I'm having a hard time envisioning your problem. The clutch pedal is flopping around and not returning to the full-up position without you pulling it up with your toe? But it will still disengage the clutch if pushed in? Sounds like perhaps you lost a return spring somewhere?

I hope you get it sorted before quitting time!

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I think I was able to get the car out of gear by luck. The clutch pedal will not depress the clutch when pressed and yes I am able to pull the pedal up quite easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld