Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I managed to open the engine cover with no problemo.

j5b57l.jpg

I can see where the fuel is leaking from.
But if you don't have the right tools to open up the cover
I may as well be in the hot desert with a can of water
But no can opener...:eusa_doh:

This is where the internet comes in handy! I guarantee, some one else has had the same problem on that make of mower. There will probably be photos, and they will tell you which size wrench you need, and the part number for what ever you need to replace. It will save you a lot of money.

Helped me alot last year when the carb on my lawn mower got plugged up. A couple minutes with the iPad an I found just what I needed on Youtube. Very practical and no headaches either !

I work from home and for myself - no "tech" group to call - and the Internet has become my technology department. Google the issue, and after a few dead ends, I usually have found the path to a solution. It is amazing how much great information is out there. I always try and post similar info on boards I'm on so that I'm not just taking but giving to.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

My old '65 Ford will still take me just about anyplace I want to go. I drove it up Old NC 105 (a rough dirt road across the mountain ridges) today to the Pinnacles for a hike.

My old '65 Ford will still take me just about anyplace I want to go. I drove it up Old NC 105 (a rough dirt road across the mountain ridges) today to the Pinnacles for a hike.

I had a '67 Chevy Impala in '80 when I started driving that was still going fine (and would probably still own it today if it wasn't stolen), but nobody is saying good things like your comment above about the Fords and Chevys from the '70s (really pst '72) throughout the '80s. My '67 Chevy was a solid car built to last, period; everything we owned in the '70s and '80s was garbage - it felt like junk, broke down all the time and, of course, didn't last. Talk about going backwards.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Got my water pump replaced today -- you can even get it right off the shelf at NAPA -- and just in the nick of time. The bearings in the old one were just about completely gone. I am skeptical about the new one, with the sealed bearings, lasting 74 years, but I'll be happy to get ten or fifteen.

Got my water pump replaced today -- you can even get it right off the shelf at NAPA -- and just in the nick of time. The bearings in the old one were just about completely gone. I am skeptical about the new one, with the sealed bearings, lasting 74 years, but I'll be happy to get ten or fifteen.

Keep the old one if there is any possibility of rebuilding it with new bearings then have it done as a spare.
Then again, you can also get a lifetime warrantied one at Kanter:
https://www.kanter.com/content/Dodge/kanter_Dodge_1946_Water_Pumps_58365.html

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab

Who says the old one lasted that long? It might have been replaced 10 times for all you know.

I like the sealed bearings, saves greasing the water pump every 2000 miles. Did you grease them before you put the pump on the car?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh yes, I pumped in marine-grade grease right per the service manual, although I don't know if the previous owner(s) had done so. The fan was quite wobbly after I noticed the leak at the weep hole, and I figured that was the kiss of death. The radiator on this car, with the reversed-mounting flange allowing the installation of the long-block engine, seems to be close to irreplaceable, so I didn't want to take any chances with the shaft shearing off.

Oh yes, I pumped in marine-grade grease right per the service manual, although I don't know if the previous owner(s) had done so. The fan was quite wobbly after I noticed the leak at the weep hole, and I figured that was the kiss of death. The radiator on this car, with the reversed-mounting flange allowing the installation of the long-block engine, seems to be close to irreplaceable, so I didn't want to take any chances with the shaft shearing off.

My father had that happen once. Went right through the radiator. :doh:

kaiser

A-List Customer
That happened to one of my Dad's cars as well, an Oldsmobile I think, I was introduced to a number of new words the he instructed me to not repeat around my Mom. I think though this was a rather common failure mode on water pumps back then. Wrecked the radiator most of the time as well.

kaiser

A-List Customer
That happened to one of my Dad's cars as well, an Oldsmobile I think, I was introduced to a number of new words that he instructed me to not repeat around my Mom. I think though this was a rather common failure mode on water pumps back then. Wrecked the radiator most of the time as well.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ran the new pump in for a drive this afternoon, and everything seems to be fine so far. I've seen horror stories of newly-manufactured pumps going south within the first 30-100 miles, but I'm hoping the odds are against that.

I looked over the old pump, and it appears to be an "AutoLine" rebuild/replacement. I see that's a Canadian company that's been around since the sixties, so it was probably installed when the car was first restored in Nova Scotia by its second owner in the '70s. However old and shot it is now, it appears to have been a quality unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken